Notices

Civic Ex Turbo. Problems with boost and some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Ex Turbo. Problems with boost and some questions.

Hi all,

First at all, I must say that I'm new on this topic bcos it's my first turbo project and I need some help please. I got a 97 Civic Ex Turbo and I'm having the following problems.

1. I had my car until few weeks ago with the Catalytic OEM, The reason? emissions test. I read some forums where says that Catalytic makes your AFR rich, losing power and more back pressure. Then, I replaced it by other pipe called high flow cat. now I feel that my car runs better or has a better spool. But I'm worried because I remember that before of that my boost gauge showed me always 7psi in full boost and the boost controller totally closed. Now It reads only 5psi in full boost and BC closed too. I dunno what happened.

2. Before removing the catalytic. I had to give only 5 turns in the Manual Boost contoller (I got a Hallman Boost Controller Pro RX) to get 10 psi that is the max because I only have vitara pistons but OEM rods. Couple hours ago I made some test and with 10 turns to the Boost controller it show me only 7psi all the time. the Boost gauge shows 7psi from 5 turns, 6 ,7,8,9 or 10 and the boost never up. with 10 turns to the boost controller starts to leak some oil to outside and I don't know why.

Additional questions

Is my boost controller broke?
Is my boost gauge reading wrong or broke?
Is my wastegate broke? I have a 38mm Tial
Why now I cannot reach the 10 PSI with same turns if with only 5 turns I made it. could my system be depressurized?
I have not seen any leaks from the IC or any silicone hose. But could be any air leak from system?

thank you in advance!!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Ex Turbo. Problems with boost and some questions.

I don't understand how opening the flow of the exhaust more got you less boost but ok.. lol

The waste gate spring can ware down over time witch will give you less boost. So can the spring in the boost controller. Also could be vacuum leaks.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:37 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Sounds more like a boost leak that developed somewhere. Those Hallmans don't lose their spring pressure for many years.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your answers. I'll check the boost controller and his hoses to find any leak possible