Notices

Chasing boost loss gremlin. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chasing boost loss gremlin. Ideas?

Until a few months ago I have been running the same setup for 8 years with only a turbo and manifold change. Turbo locked up and manifold upgrade still ramhorn just better collector and general build design and quality. My wife drove the car for a couple of months while I put her a new car together(Her minty fresh 80k mile 91 EF totalled out--RIP) ANyway shes in her new car. I get mine back and no boost and odd sound just like when a coupler blows...sorta intakey) Guage goes to zero/1 and no more. Damnit. Easy boost leak. I have a coupler that blows off like once every year or two no matter what. I figure there it is again. CHeck it and it is connected. Ok pull bumper check all couplers connection and condition 360degrees. No tears, rips, bad connections. Check all vaccuum connections-all good and clamped. Still zero. I pull the WG/DT assy off hear something rattling in the WG. Good I found problem, pull it apart repair loose nut inside reinstall, still zero/1. Swap wastegates with a known good Tial, remove boost controller, still zero/1. I theorize now maybe the turbo isn't spinning fast enough to build boost. 4 year old Turbonetics turbo. Check play- insignificant. Inspect fins for damage find very small dings to 2 blades, but notice warpage on almost all blades. ALso the turbo didn;t spin nearly as freely as I thought it should. Ok finally found problem I think. Swap turbos with a new polished housing turbonetics turbo bling. Still zero, damnit. Built pressure testing setup for my kit. Installed and checked system with 20psi. Thats 2x my boost level. No leaks. At this point I am kinda stumped as to what problem may be.
I tend to think the BOV is getting stuck open. THe car still has that wierd intakey sound. Also it is the only hard part I have not changed. Also makes sense. ANy stories of similar situations, advice would be appreciated. I have checked, checked, and rechecked EVERY coupler in the system so advice to check any connections is unnecessary. Thanks and sorry for such a long post. I want to give all the info at once.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Chasing boost loss gremlin. Ideas?

MAn i can't believe I can't get one reply not even a dumb one.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

s cam timing spot on? swap turdblows with a friend.from whrere did your presure test?
Old 11-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes cam timing is def. spot on.
Just installed brand new turbo.
From turbo outlet to the beginnning of the last piece of my charge piping that includes my BOV. I figured the BOV would start leaking around 20 or just under and I did not want that to skew the results of the rest of the system. I thought I should leave that piece of piping out of the equation.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cracked ic? I seen that happen before. Any vac leakes? Check that too. There is a thread on how to make a diy pressure tester to test your piping and couplers. Ic too. I would check the bov to make sure its not stuck. Gl
Old 11-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks wrx. I made a pressure tester already. I am suspecting the BOV also will keep updating until I have psi.