Notices

Catch Can Install/PCV Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Catch Can Install/PCV Removal

Just finished boosting my b18b 98 ls, need to install this catch can before I go get tuned in a couple days, I'm very confused cause I've heard and read so many different things about catch cans, breathers, catch can with breather(which I have)

I found this diagram, but am having trouble understanding it. Would it still work even though my catch can has a breather?

Where is the "pcv valve port, and the OEM PCV system Vaccum Source" specifically, any pics?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Catch Can Install/PCV Removal

Why dont you ask the person who boosted your engine to put it on..
Old 07-20-2015, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Why dont you ask the person who boosted your engine to put it on..
Because I boosted my own engine
Old 07-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

2 lines from the back of the block to the can with special M28 to -10 AN fittings, don't know what's going on with your set up but the way I listed is the correct way. Then you use a special plug to block off the old pcv hole where the box went plm sells a kit with everything needed or crapworks aka BWR, what's pictured looks like a half *** joke.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by daboy155
Because I boosted my own engine
You were compidant enough to install a turbocharger system to your factory n.a engine and you dont know how to install a aftermarket catch can and elimate the engines oem pcv system?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
You were compidant enough to install a turbocharger system to your factory n.a engine and you dont know how to install a aftermarket catch can and elimate the engines oem pcv system?
There's a first time for everything bro.
https://honda-tech.com/forced-induct...x2867-3251133/
Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
2 lines from the back of the block to the can with special M28 to -10 AN fittings, don't know what's going on with your set up but the way I listed is the correct way. Then you use a special plug to block off the old pcv hole where the box went plm sells a kit with everything needed or crapworks aka BWR, what's pictured looks like a half *** joke.
Thank you!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's a first time for everything bro.
https://honda-tech.com/forced-induct...x2867-3251133/
Dont worrie im just giving you a hard time. Is the engine tuned? how much boost you running? might not even need one if your on low boost. It will help but theres many boosted B series still using the oem pcv system. I believe on your ls theres one directly on top of the valve cover with a hose going to the intake manifold. And on the back of the block there should be a charcoal canister or black box with a pcv valve.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moved to FI - you'll get more help here
Old 07-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forced-induct...7-b18-1490117/

and or run your two hoses to the valve cover which is what I am doing
Old 07-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a modified black box setup with a gutted pcv to a filtered catch up to the valve cover. Simple and efficient for my car and yea I always run filtered catch cans on my cars this way and just use the manifold bung for my boost gauge
Old 07-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got down under the car today ready to install the fittings and the catch can, and there was NO black box? As far as I could tell, I thought it was supposed to be to the right of the oil filter, but nothing was there and the holes were plugged, am I in the right spot? I tried to label the holes.

Is that the right place, and is the lower plug already filled?

I made a drawing of a pic I found, do I do something like this?
Old 07-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In the very bottom photo the hole circled to the right is where the box is located

There are a few different ways of doing a catch can and the bottom pic is one. Also remember to put the catch can at the highest point possible aka the passengers side strut tower or firewall
Old 07-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got down under the car today ready to install the fittings and the catch can, and there was NO black box? As far as I could tell, I thought it was supposed to be to the right of the oil filter, but nothing was there and the holes were plugged, am I in the right spot? I tried to label the holes.

Is that the right place, and is the lower plug already filled?

I made a drawing of a pic I found, do I do something like this?
My apologies I am so used to dealing with Vtec based engines I forgot you have an LS IIRC b18 and b20 non vtec blocks do not have a catch can like D series / B series VTEC. you can still use those large allen freeze plugs as ports that I was refering to earlier....you are already set on your catch can setup as far as hardware correct? if not I recomend checking out B N R fittings he has some nice stuff, sells mostly complete solutions as far as getting everything you need in a kit. the guy is real cool to Very helpful he will answer your questions if you just call him up.

Your block should look something like this, the "freeze" plugs are on either side of the oil filter.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've only dealt with b16 and mostly d16 so I'm used to the black box and assumed all these motors had them. Well I learned something today. Wonder why it's on the non vtec d16y7 but not on other non vtecs?
Old 07-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah that makes more sense, I'm guessing my PCV is in the middle of the valve cover from what it looks like, since there is no black box. What if I just did something like this:

Looks like the guy deleted his little PCV valve on the valve cover and just put an aftermarket L fitting there. Would this work?

P.S it is a b18b 98 LS you're right
Old 07-23-2015, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah that makes more sense, I'm guessing my PCV is in the middle of the valve cover from what it looks like, since there is no black box. What if I just did something like this:

Looks like the guy deleted his little PCV valve on the valve cover and just put an aftermarket L fitting there. Would this work?

P.S it is a b18b 98 LS you're right
That should work just fine. only difference with that is you are using smaller hoses then most would use. whats your HP goal again? anything under 400 should be fine. I am also going to vent my valve cover rather then the back of the block using BNR kit with 10 AN Hoses.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by camdizawg
That should work just fine. only difference with that is you are using smaller hoses then most would use. whats your HP goal again? anything under 400 should be fine. I am also going to vent my valve cover rather then the back of the block using BNR kit with 10 AN Hoses.
The car makes 280 at the wheels right now and 260 tq on 13 pounds with no timing used, just breaking in the new parts and clutch, then 350-400 tops is my goal.

So do I plug the nipple on my intake pipe that is right after the filter and before the compressor housing on the turbo?
Old 07-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car makes 280 at the wheels right now and 260 tq just breaking in the new parts and clutch, then 350-400 is my goal.

So do I plug the nipple on my intake pipe that is right after the filter and before the compressor housing on the turbo?
sounds good if you wanted to run a larger diameter hose your welding bungs into your valve cover or going to the back of the block. yes you plug that that would only be used if you are using a vaccum source for your catch can, which would be a different style can like the one you posted on your first post
Old 07-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

THE DEFINITIVE WAY TO RUN CATCH CANS WITH TURBO:

What you want is vacuum on either of the catch cans at all times. When you're not in boost, and when you're boosting. You can aid the removal of gasses on the valve cover vent by using a slash-cut hose and the ventrelli effect (air passing by the end of a hose will cause negative pressure on the other end of the hose).

So. You want 2 catch cans. Neither of them should be vented!!!

Remove the black box on the back of the block. All it does is recirculate the contaminated oil back into your oil pan (mixed with gasoline). When you remove the black box, you will require 1 freeze plug to plug the hole it will leave, approx 1 to 1 1/2 inch diameter.

The 'hose nipple' that protrudes from the back of the engine block above that freeze plug, goes into catch can 1.

Catch can 1 has 2 hoses attached. 1 feeds from nipple on back of block, other feeds thru PCV valve (or any 1 way-check valve), and then to the intake manifold AFTER the throttle plate. This can will see vac when not in boost.

Catch can 2 has 2 hoses attached. 1 feeds from valve cover nipple. The other hose goes to the intake of the turbo BEFORE the turbo. IE. where your airfilter or small stub of piping feeds into the cold side of the turbo, going into the turbo intake. This line DOES NOT want to see pressure or "true" vacuum. This is what will be the ventrelli effect line. This can will see vac when you are in boost.

Now you have a system that pulls air at all time...

If you use a vented catch can, you are relying on pressures to push the gas out. The best way, is to suck it out. Hard core drag racers use an electric sump to put constant vac on the block, removing drag on the pistons...
Old 07-24-2015, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make this simple. Make your setup like the last picture in the lot of 4.. Then throw a good flowing filter on the valve cover. Quick install and efficient for your power
Old 07-24-2015, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
Make this simple. Make your setup like the last picture in the lot of 4.. Then throw a good flowing filter on the valve cover. Quick install and efficient for your power
Spit oil on your motor.

Simple does not make it right
Old 07-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by theYBLEGAL
Spit oil on your motor.

Simple does not make it right
You once again referred to the vtec engines and not the LS, have you even read this post?
Old 07-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's no black box on this motor
Old 07-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Doesn't matter if the box is there or not.

The jist of what I wrote is, suck the gas out, not push.

If your particular block is missing the nipple then like they showed in the pictures drill and tap some.

The concept is not that difficult, that's all you're supposed to get from this