Notices

car is getting tuned, how much does it cost + hidden fees???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is getting tuned, how much does it cost + hidden fees???

so Im thinking about getting my car tune pretty soon after I get my turbo/supercharger/stoker kit on it, how much does a tune usually cost?

are there any hidden fees like buying stuff to actually tune it?

im pretty sure this thread could be a great sticky thread because when people usually think about boosting their car, they never think about how much the tune cost and all there hidden fees,

so please help
Old 05-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is getting tuned, how much does it cost + hidden fees???

i dont think there will be any hidden fees i got my hatch tuned at jordan@MAP and it cost some what around 300ish depends i guess on what happens with your car.. If every thing is ready to go no cell lights then it will be a snap... Doesnt matter how much it will cost think about it your going from no power to power...
Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First, you're doing a turbo, supercharger, and "stroker kit"? Looking at your age in your profile, obviously you are dreaming, because you're talking about $15k to get what you want done. Not to mention it is fairly high level to dual charge.

With that said, tuning is typically around $300-500 on the dyno with some sort of 2-3 hour time limit. This does not including any EMS or licenses. There are no hidden fees. If you show up to a tuning appointment, and your car is a mess, the tuner may offer to fix your car for an extra $100 and then tune it afterwards. He might also turn around and tell you to go home and come back once it is fixed. You may or may not be charged for this as well. If there are minor issues, typically they can be fixed in the time set aside for tuning. So in short, if your car is not a mess, figure about $300-500 for a dyno and street tune.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends...I've seen anywhere from 100-150 an hour to some guys charging flat rates of 350-400. It just depends on the tuner or shop.

I wouldn't call them hidden fees but there may be additional cost,like say for instance something on your car screws up and needs messed with/replaced/fixed, they will charge labor on fixing it (example fixing wiring issues or replacing sensors).Most tuners tell you to check out your car before hand, but **** happens.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As stated above: make sure your car is up to par. and you usually want to bring a little extra as stated if something breaks. I know one time whie during my dyno sessions I had to purchase a New FPR half way through, then another time I had to purchase new plugs. So end of story bring extra duckys and drinks maybe pizza money
Old 05-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Find the right shop and ask for there best guess! Bring the car there the day before and let them look it over. If you dont pressure them into a specific time and give them a range of the money you really have to spend you will likely get way more for your buck then the strait hourly rate.

Also do it in two sesions, Have the first one be a initial set up and prep for proper break-in. dont go crazzy. Then get some time logged on the new motor, once it feels good and the minor bugs are worked out come back in for final clean-up and power pulls

Project alway's find new parts so it is most likely that you will be back anyway in 6 - 18 months...

Kurt
Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also do a pressure test on your charge pipes up to like 20-30 psi no matter how much boost you will run.. its funny how at 10 psi its not leaking at 25 it is.. I had my tps sensor leak around the gasket.. So i removed the gasket and used a o ring.. Now shes sealed..
Old 05-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so your stroking, supercharging, and turbo charging?

and your worried about hidden fee's?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should get yourself a bottle or NOS, the big one, make that 2 big ones.....Might as well go all out since your doing it all anyways.