Can I just us an ls block instead of a GSR block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I just us an ls block instead of a GSR block?

I'm having a hard time finding a spare GSR block for a decent price but I acutally found an LS block for $100 within driving distance. Would it be much better/worse to just have GE re-sleeve the LS block and have it put in my GSR when it come back, then I could just sell my GSR block and make out decently well with $$?
Old 04-25-2002, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I just us an ls block instead of a GSR block? (jamal-188)

why not just live with the down time so you can keep the GSR block
Old 04-25-2002, 05:16 PM
Trial User

no..just wait for the downtime. gsr sleeved block is much better than ls sleeved block...i mean unless you wanna get rid of vtec or else you have to do mods to the ls block to make it compatible w/ vtec head

Jeff-
Old 04-25-2002, 05:46 PM
Banned

Default Re: Can I just us an ls block instead of a GSR block? (Corporal-Jeff)

unless you wanna get rid of vtec
do u know what ur talking about?
Old 04-25-2002, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Can I just us an ls block instead of a GSR block? (On Point EK)

So Vtec won't work w/ a LS block? I dont' know too much about block work and stuff? I can't live w/ the down time cause this is my only car!! By the time I tear the block down send it in for the groupbuy then he sends it to GE etc... I won't hav ea car for 6-8 weeks.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:32 PM
Banned

vte will work, u are gonna have to do whatthey call Ls/Vtec, u will need a oil line and 2 holes nlarged and 2 holes filled, a machine shop could do that for u
Old 04-25-2002, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm, why not just send out the LS block and then make a sick *** LS/VTEC turbo monster?
You could always sell the GSR block--they are hard to find right now since its race season and all.

Just my .02
Old 04-25-2002, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Can I just us an ls block instead of a GSR block? (93LSivic)

Yeah, I think I'd need one of those Z10 Block Gridle(spelling) to support higher revs right? Do you guys think this would be okay or should i just try to find a GSR block? I mean this is a 01 GSR so I dont' really want to be downgrading!
Old 04-25-2002, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you wont be downgrading. The LS vtec setup is great for turbos.
If you build up the LS block, then you'll have a GSR block as a spare later on. http://www.exospeed.com/ls.htm

Wil

Old 04-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean this is a 01 GSR so I dont' really want to be downgrading!
You trying to hurt all of us LS guys feelings? Hehe, like everyone says,you get the best of both worlds with the LSvtec setup. Plus you will have teh spare C1 block if you want to go back to stock if you sell that heavy chump of a car and get a civic.......
Sorry, had to give some **** back to you for the downgrading comment
Old 04-26-2002, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Can I just us an ls block instead of a GSR block? (93LSivic)

Sorry, had to give some **** back to you for the downgrading comment
Yeah, sorry guys, I was thinking what I posted last night and I didn't mean it that way. I was just trying to say that I paid a lot of money to get the GSR over an LS or GS, and I just wasn't sure if I would be "downgrading" the engine? Sorry and no offense to you LS guys

So what is the actual difference between the LS and GSR block?
Old 04-26-2002, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The LS block has like 93cc more displacement than the GSR block, this would yeild more overall torque. The LS block does have a 1.54 rod stroke ratio, as opposed to the GSRs 1.58 (that should be right) which is why you either would want to use the Z10 girdle or a modded GSR girdle. (I don't have one ) Also, LS's don't have a factory knock sensor, but do have a slightly ligher flywheel (so I've been told). You can either use the lower compression LS pistons or higher GSR pistons in the block, but I would assume you are going to buy some forged components.

The LSVT conversion is a bit more involved than what was said in my and previous posts. It requires a bit of research and someone who knows what they are doing to build it. Plus it's not that cheap, you will need to swap some parts to make sure it's reliable. To keep costs down and reduce labor requirements, I would stay with the GSR block... try to find one.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

main differences in the block lie in the R/S ratio, oil jets(squirters), block girdle

LS = 1.54:1 R/S ratio \____ **** the R/S ratio it's not THAT important
GS-R = 1.58:1 R/S ratio /

Granted the GS-R R/S is a bit more favorable to higher RPMs than the LS but not that much. What 2%, thats not enough to justify a 1000 RPM higher rev limit. Niether one is any where near the rev happy 1.74 R/S of the B16.

GS-R's have oil jets(squirters) and LS engines don't. The main effect of these is to spary the undersides of the pistons and the wrist pins. This helps with lubrication, and jeeping the stock cast pistons cool. With a good set of forged piston(JE/SRP/Wiseco/etc) you don't really need the oil jets. Forged pistons have a lot better cooling properties than the stock honda cast pistons.

The GS-R have a 3 main cap block girdle that helps to keep the bottom end rigid when you're revving the **** out of it. The GS-R girdle can be adapted to the LS bottom-end with relative ease. I've done it. I consider this part one of the keys to the GS-R's higher revving potential.

One a side note, a minor difference in the bottom-end is that the GS-Rs have 1mm longer rod bolts. These are most likely a bit stronger than the LS components. Just for reference the LS uses and 8mm bolt(same as the D-seies) the GS-R uses a 9mm
Old 04-26-2002, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I just us an ls block instead of a GSR block? (Speed PHreak)

GS-R's have oil jets(squirters) and LS engines don't. The main effect of these is to spary the undersides of the pistons and the wrist pins. This helps with lubrication, and jeeping the stock cast pistons cool. With a good set of forged piston(JE/SRP/Wiseco/etc) you don't really need the oil jets. Forged pistons have a lot better cooling properties than the stock honda cast pistons.
HAHAHA... yeah... the stockers have like 6 tiny oil passages and a nice set of forged ones have them all around and twice the diameter !
Old 04-26-2002, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just be patient and keep looking for a gsr block. It'll be worth it at the end.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:18 AM
New User

Default Re: Can I just us an ls block instead of a GSR block? (X2BOARD)

The LS block has like 93cc more displacement than the GSR block, this would yeild more overall torque. The LS block does have a 1.54 rod stroke ratio, as opposed to the GSRs 1.58 (that should be right) which is why you either would want to use the Z10 girdle or a modded GSR girdle. (I don't have one ) Also, LS's don't have a factory knock sensor, but do have a slightly ligher flywheel (so I've been told). You can either use the lower compression LS pistons or higher GSR pistons in the block, but I would assume you are going to buy some forged components.

The LSVT conversion is a bit more involved than what was said in my and previous posts. It requires a bit of research and someone who knows what they are doing to build it. Plus it's not that cheap, you will need to swap some parts to make sure it's reliable. To keep costs down and reduce labor requirements, I would stay with the GSR block... try to find one.
Whoa, whoa, I'm gonna have to go out on a limb here and disagree, since he's getting just the block right? I'm pretty sure the differences in displacement and rod and stroke between the LS and GSR engine are NOT due to the block but due to the different crank and rod lengths. Since you are keeping all the other parts from your GSR then you will not be getting the extra displacement or poorer rod to stroke ratio.

As I understand it, the differences between the two blocks lie in that the GSR block has the oil squirters, the block girdle and the correct oil passages to work with a VTEC head. The oil squirters aren't a big deal, but the other two things are and a block girdle from Z10 is going to cost 200+ plus you are going to need take it to a machine shop to have it properly installed. The LS block is also going to need to be modified to accomodate the VTEC head so that will cost extra too.

So it's not going to be just 100 dollars for the block. Add in the other stuff that you'll need to get it to work to find out the true cost. That'll give you a better idea of the cost difference between a LS block and GSR block.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I just us an ls block instead of a GSR block? (DarksideDC4)

Whoa, whoa, I'm gonna have to go out on a limb here and disagree, since he's getting just the block right? I'm pretty sure the differences in displacement and rod and stroke between the LS and GSR engine are NOT due to the block but due to the different crank and rod lengths. Since you are keeping all the other parts from your GSR then you will not be getting the extra displacement or poorer rod to stroke ratio.

As I understand it, the differences between the two blocks lie in that the GSR block has the oil squirters, the block girdle and the correct oil passages to work with a VTEC head. The oil squirters aren't a big deal, but the other two things are and a block girdle from Z10 is going to cost 200+ plus you are going to need take it to a machine shop to have it properly installed. The LS block is also going to need to be modified to accomodate the VTEC head so that will cost extra too.

So it's not going to be just 100 dollars for the block. Add in the other stuff that you'll need to get it to work to find out the true cost. That'll give you a better idea of the cost difference between a LS block and GSR block.
Ok, I did not know he just wanted the block and plans to swap in all of this GSR internals ?!? Why would you wanna do that, I don't know. But, yes, the extra displacement is from a difference in stroke, so going with a GSR crank would negate the extra displacement... if it can be done... I have never seen it. But in that case, I would say you are right in that the main difference would then be the squirters and girdle, but since he already has the GSR block, he can just lift the squirters and girdle (and just about any other part) over to the LS block, so he would not need to spend any money there. I have never seen an LS block with full GSR internals, this might sound like a dumbass question from me, but can it be done ? Also, why not just go LSVT if you're gonna bust this mission ? I still say get a GSR block, stay a GSR and use the extra donzi to overbore it and get the necessary forged components.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I just us an ls block instead of a GSR block? (X2BOARD)

No one has actually answered the question tho... can one use an LS black if they are swapping over the GSR internals ? Basically an LSVT setup would have to be done to get the oil passages I assume, but would it be OK and can the GSR oil squirters be transplanted ?

Does any modification have to be performed to the LS block to do this ?