Notices

Can anyone help assess potential damage on this Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Can anyone help assess potential damage on this Turbo?

So I stumbled upon this Garrett T3 m11 turbo. On the exhaust side, I noticed the turbine/shaft is chipped, but it doesn't look like there is any other damage? After looking online at a few videos/photos of this same turbo, it looks like the chipping/damage is pretty common.

Is this a big no-no to run or would I be alright in purchasing this? Also, the guy is wanting $300, does this seem fair for you more experienced guys? From what I've read this turbo is pretty old and from some old ford models in the 80's.

Intake side:

Old 04-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone help assess potential damage on this Turbo?

I'm gonna reserve ALL sarcasm right now and hit you direct..
The "chipped" damage is from balancing. I see nothing on any of the fins that would raise suspicion from these views.. Very, VERY minor Knicks on one of the intake fins.. I'm going to assume you are new to turbos so I will skip any detailed questions regarding shaft play..
Old 04-08-2019, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am new to them, and didn't realize that's how they were balanced. I'm not stranger to Honda-tech, sarcasm and berating is welcomed Thanks for the info! The guy has stated there is not back/forth shaft play, but with these older journal bearings, some side to side is to be expected without any oil in them right?

Any input on the cost?
Old 04-08-2019, 04:20 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

@TheShodan
Old 04-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ericjergs
I am new to them, and didn't realize that's how they were balanced. I'm not stranger to Honda-tech, sarcasm and berating is welcomed Thanks for the info! The guy has stated there is not back/forth shaft play, but with these older journal bearings, some side to side is to be expected without any oil in them right?

Any input on the cost?
I wouldnt berate but, sarcasm is a second language to me! Anyhow.. Some shaft play is normal for a JB turbo, yes, and should be ZERO back and forth. If it were ball bearing then I'd say 300 would be fair.. Doesnt look like it was leaking at all which is good. 300 is steep, but for a good condition Garrett, reasonable. I'd certainly try to negotiate..
Old 04-08-2019, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I wouldnt berate but, sarcasm is a second language to me! Anyhow.. Some shaft play is normal for a JB turbo, yes, and should be ZERO back and forth. If it were ball bearing then I'd say 300 would be fair.. Doesnt look like it was leaking at all which is good. 300 is steep, but for a good condition Garrett, reasonable. I'd certainly try to negotiate..
lol well I appreciate it! And alright, I'll see what I can do about price.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:46 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Got that wonky exhaust flange and internal WG tho, I’d pass.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think that's the same turbo I have on my car right now. Notice the power numbers in my signature below. Mine is a 60 trim t3 with 0.63 a/r exhaust housing. It's from an 80's SVO mustang. I bought it in mint used condition for $100 about 15 years ago. I have since done a 360* thrust bearing upgrade and full rebuild, and installed a drop-in Mamba billet compressor wheel. Mine has the same 5-bolt housing, with wg hole, but does not have a wg actuator built in like this one.

$300 is quite high for that turbo, even if it was in excellent condition. You can buy them brand spankin new for $500-$600. Keep in mind that turbo with the stock compressor wheel will max out at 320-350hp at its absolute limit
Old 04-09-2019, 02:42 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts

I would pass on it as well. You can find a brand new one for about $200+ more. I'm referring to a Turbonetics, not that Ebay junk.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wish I could find used turbos that cheap, I've been looking for a couple months and this is the only T3 I've found that is around the size I was looking for that isn't asking near new price and is water-cooled. He's agreed to $250 shipped.

My plan was just to block off the internal wastegate anyway. @motoxxxman Is this what you ended up doing or are you running the internal one?
Old 04-10-2019, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wish I could find used turbos that cheap, I've been looking for a couple months and this is the only T3 I've found that is around the size I was looking for that isn't asking near new price and is water-cooled. He's agreed to $250 shipped.

My plan was just to block off the internal wastegate anyway. @motoxxxman Is this what you ended up doing or are you running the internal one?

$250 shipped is a decent price, especially considering shipping will cost $25-$50 considering the weight.

I run mine with an external wastegate. All you need to block off the internal is a standard ford-style 5-bolt flange. You would need to remove the actuator from yours though.

Can you post a pic of your entire turbine housing? I'm curious to see what it looks like. Mine looks like this:

Old 04-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what I'm thinking, I'm alright with 250 shipped, especially since most of what I'm getting will be from GOAUTOWORKS and a lot of his stuff specifies 5 bolt, T3 stuff. I don't have any other photos at the moment, but these are some others on on the intake side.

If that's all it takes for blocking the internal one off, that's what I'll do for sure.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That looks like two different turbos. The first set of pictures you posted shows a wastegate valve directly on the exhaust housing. and the pictures you posted above have a wastegate actuator plate bolted on the turbine housing.
If the turbo you receive has a wastegate adapter plate bolted to it, then yes converting to external is as easy as removing the plate and using a standard 5-bolt flange that does not have a wg hole.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good catch, he does mention throwing in an ebay internal wastegate "kit," so it's possibly part of that bolted on?
Old 04-11-2019, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Different turbos shown.. Housings can be changed but, I've circled the immediate red flag...

Something fishy here folks!!!
Old 04-11-2019, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well those two photos/turbos are different, because one is Motoxxxman and one is the one I'm planning to purchase. Unless you're just being sarcastic lol
Old 04-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well those two photos/turbos are different, because one is Motoxxxman and one is the one I'm planning to purchase. Unless you're just being sarcastic lol
Woops! That was a legitimate boo boo. Trying to keep up with updates and pain meds just dont mix. Lol!
Old 04-11-2019, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha no worries! Didn't know if I was being wooshed or not.