Notices

Cam choice for mild-mid boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam choice for mild-mid boost?

I'm interested in a response to this because I currently have a built NA head with a crower stg 2 cam. I'm contemplating mild-mid boost this summer, and I want to find the right cam with a good compromise between spool time and high rpm efficiency. I'm thinking about throwing my stock cam back in, but not too sure if that's a good idea with ~9.8:1 compression ratio. Any insight? Anyone have experience comparing turbo, stock, and aftermarket NA cams on a SOHC motor?

PS. I'm not looking for your opinions about my compression ratio, nor am I looking for advice from people with no experience comparing these cams. I don't mean to sound rude, I'm just making it clear that I'm looking for good advice, not just any advice (aka bullshit).
Old 05-06-2008, 05:00 PM

i would use a set of the BRain crower stage II boost cams. they are different from the crower boost cams, but are very reliable. all depends on how much boost you want. i am buying these for my dohc teg motor and am going to be running about 30psi. and the techies over at BC said they will hold up to whatever i throw at them.

i ahve a friend that is using comp cams on his sohc d16z6 and is great responses, also, for the best price aroud i have seen thus far for the past year.. go to yoparts.com.. hella good deals better then ebay by far and have warentees with them,

just take alook and good luck
Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: Cam choice for mild-mid boost? (CALC!_JUST_du_IT!)

do you have adjustable cam gears already?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Cam choice for mild-mid boost? (oneludesol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneludesol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have adjustable cam gears already?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, and crower springs, titanium retainers, headwork... The head's fully built.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:17 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

adjust out as much of the overlap as you can and let her rip...
Old 05-06-2008, 05:17 PM

Default Re: (hatchtegman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchtegman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[...]all depends on how much boost you want.[...]
i ahve a friend that is using comp cams on his sohc d16z6 and is great responses, also, for the best price aroud i have seen thus far for the past year[...]
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll be running less than 12 psi, and I plan on shooting for ~300whp. I'm sure any of the cams I could go with could get me that kind of power, I just want to know what low-end response which cams will yield faster spools.

If I can get way with keeping my crower stage II cam (NOT the one designed for turbo), I might as well save the money. Will I have issues with my NA cam? Is it worth getting a cam specifically designed for turbo?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneludesol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">adjust out as much of the overlap as you can and let her rip...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have ONE CAM! And proud of it...
Old 05-06-2008, 05:21 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

then yes you will benefit greatly from a turbo cam...
Old 05-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Is anyone using an aftermarket NA cam on a boosted D?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what i've seen, most people run the Zex 59300 cam on boosted D's.

I'm going to move this to FI because you'll get a lot better answers there...
Old 05-06-2008, 10:08 PM
i ♥ snails

or go with a bisi turbo cam grind
Old 05-07-2008, 04:09 AM

arnt zex cams ground and lobed for n20? just a question, if so they will work and handle a lot of power at one time off and on. but i dont know how they would act with boost.. good luck
PM yopartstom, on aim and ask him about it hell give you the best price around and give you the most honest answer, also. his integra with a k20a2 is running a BC Stage 2 boost cvam with a garret gt4294r turbo its a 9.0 second car..... and handles fine..
i would go with the BC

just shop around and research its the best sollution to any question.
GL
Old 05-07-2008, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the zex 59300 cam is great for d16z6 boost. the 10500 i think it is not to sure on this one, is for the Y8. it maybe a N20 cam, but its a monster with boost.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:36 AM

Default Re: (evokidvii)

So what are your thoughts on staying with the crower stage II cam I already have in the head? Is it worth the money to a new cam, and the time to put it in?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: (CALC!_JUST_du_IT!)

if i were you, i would sell the current cam and buy a turbo spec. given your SOHCness you dont have means of adjustment sooooo, in the end you may have to eat the $100 difference but in my experience there is like a 20-40whp difference and much better spool characteristics on the turbo cams, $100 well spent.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but NONE of the Clutchmasters cars are running BC cams! Even though there may be a sticker on the cars and BC may say so, its def not the case! They are all on IPS cams. Also I along with many other reputable tuners can tell you that 95% of "turbo" cams actually make less power than stock. With a PROPERLY designed turbo manifold and PROPERLY sized turbine housing the stage 1 to stage 2 all motor cams actually show great gains

To the thread owner...go with the ZEX 59300 like mentioned above, its about as good an all around cam you can get for the SOHC vtec's
Old 05-07-2008, 08:33 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: (Green_Goblin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Green_Goblin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also I along with many other reputable tuners can tell you that 95% of "turbo" cams actually make less power than stock. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this statement in regard to SOHCs only because I will be the first to admit that I have limited experience with d series, however I personally have had 3 different cam setups on the same h series turbo motor, and the FI cams were by FAR the best performers both in sheer dyno numbers, and driving on the street...
Old 05-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (oneludesol)

alot of people are running all motor cams in boost applications with excellent results seem strange for sure and i my self was sceptical when looking into my cams and when i was searching i was shocked by the amount of people running them even the manufactures will tell you
Old 05-09-2008, 12:14 AM

Default Re: (h22 civic)

Thanks for all the input people. From what I've gathered, I've decided to try things out with the crower stage II NA cam already in my head. I think I'll be happy with the results no matter what cam I use; if not, it looks like I'll try out the zex cam many people are recommending. I won't finish the build till probably late summer, but when I do, I'll post my results with the NA cam. If/when I swap it out for the zex cam, I'll post a comparison between my results from the two.