Notices

buying used ProfecB...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 07:02 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying used ProfecB...

i sold my profecB a few months ago and now i decided to use one again. i have a race coming up that i want to win, so i need to turn up the boost. i came across a used profecB. any suggestions on what i should look for to make sure its in good working condition?
Old 05-15-2002, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: buying used ProfecB... (dlplayboy)

make sure you ask the guy the thing works correctly, why he is selling it, and if he has had any problems with it. also, ask if all the parts come with it as well as the manual. buying used electronics is kind of sketchy... but if it comes from someone you know and youve seen it used, then you are pretty safe
Old 05-15-2002, 09:53 PM
New User

Default Re: buying used ProfecB... (GudeH23a)

the thing is.. the only way is to install it i guess. just wondering if there was a better way to check. thats the thing about electronic boost controllers.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:44 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the profec B now, I used to have a turbo XS manual.. I cant decide which one i like better.. the profec doesnt hold boost/spool up as quikly as the manual did, but It does allow me to adjust boost from inside the car.. I am thinking about going back to manual but I was having problems with boost spiking under quick load.. I dont know.. but yeh, buying a used profec shouldnt be a problem as long as it works, but if u only need to turn up the boost a manual would be much simpler to just throw on.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:18 PM
New User

Default Re: buying used ProfecB... (DIRep972)

I have the profec B now, I used to have a turbo XS manual.. I cant decide which one i like better.. the profec doesnt hold boost/spool up as quikly as the manual did, but It does allow me to adjust boost from inside the car.. I am thinking about going back to manual but I was having problems with boost spiking under quick load.. I dont know.. but yeh, buying a used profec shouldnt be a problem as long as it works, but if u only need to turn up the boost a manual would be much simpler to just throw on.
thanks DIREP972,
you pretty much cleared up a few thoughts in my head about whether or not i should get a turbo xs mbc just as i had planned when i sold my profecb. i figured the profecb made the turbo spool faster... because thats what i really want. i just dont want to get the boost spike thats comes with a mbc. i like being able to adjust boost inside the car though. hmmm.. decisions... decisions...

by the way, im gettin the profecB for 175.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

from where?
Old 05-16-2002, 07:05 AM

Default Re: buying used ProfecB... (int3gra)

what about the dual stage turboxs manual boost controller? i think it switches off between each solenoid electronically... meaning in-car switch.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it an easy installation for the mbc like tapping it into a vac line and adjusting it?? sorry for being naive but i also want my turbo to spool faster and i'm deciding between the profec B and the turboxs mbc. TIA
Old 05-16-2002, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying used ProfecB... (b18b98)

Is the Profec A better than the B?
Old 05-16-2002, 08:25 AM
Smarter than you

Default Re: buying used ProfecB... (b18b98)

is it an easy installation for the mbc like tapping it into a vac line and adjusting it?? sorry for being naive but i also want my turbo to spool faster and i'm deciding between the profec B and the turboxs mbc. TIA
yeh the manual was crazy simple. u just cut into a vacum line and put the BC inline. Im going to play around with the set up on my profec B a lil before I decide to go back though.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:05 AM
New User

yeh the manual was crazy simple. u just cut into a vacum line and put the BC inline. Im going to play around with the set up on my profec B a lil before I decide to go back though.
yeah, thats one thing i like about the mbc... its easy to install.

DIREP, when do you experience boost spiking or creep with the turbo xs? would you experience this if boostin 7lbs or less? or just at high boost? are you referring to the standard mbc or the hight performance bc?
Old 05-16-2002, 10:40 AM
Smarter than you

yeah, thats one thing i like about the mbc... its easy to install.

DIREP, when do you experience boost spiking or creep with the turbo xs? would you experience this if boostin 7lbs or less? or just at high boost? are you referring to the standard mbc or the hight performance bc?
I never spiked with the standard MBC, but when I switched over to the "hp" version I started expierencing boost spike in 1st and 2nd off a 5k RPM drop.. it kinda sux because the way I had my boost set with the MBC I would hit .6bar off the punch, then through 3rd/4th boost would fall down to .5bar.. Now with profec Im only seeing .5bar off the punch but the boost slowly creeps to .6bar as I go through 3rd/4th.. i think i just need to play around with the settings though on the profec.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:59 AM
New User

I never spiked with the standard MBC, but when I switched over to the "hp" version I started expierencing boost spike in 1st and 2nd off a 5k RPM drop.. it kinda sux because the way I had my boost set with the MBC I would hit .6bar off the punch, then through 3rd/4th boost would fall down to .5bar.. Now with profec Im only seeing .5bar off the punch but the boost slowly creeps to .6bar as I go through 3rd/4th.. i think i just need to play around with the settings though on the profec.
i figured the "hp" version was alot better to use because it uses the ball and spring design. doesnt that improve spooling? how did you like the standard compared to using the wastegate spring alone? was there any difference?
Old 05-17-2002, 10:33 AM
Smarter than you

i figured the "hp" version was alot better to use because it uses the ball and spring design. doesnt that improve spooling? how did you like the standard compared to using the wastegate spring alone? was there any difference?
yeh the HP version spools fast as hell, thats why im kinda dissapointed in the profec, its not spooling for **** compared to the manual.. but I think the ball and spring design is also the reason it used to spike.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:53 AM
Trial User

i have a profec b for sale....used about three months
i was advised to use a manual boost controller w/ my standalone so i will not used the profec b in my miata.

It worked fine.

the only thing is that you need to set boost levels in gear (lil weird but it is like that w/ all of them from what i know. I never had issues