Notices

manual boost controllers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual boost controllers

sup guys,
Was wondering,i need a manual boost controller,my blitz ssbc went out on me,or something went wrong. now im just going to get a plain old manual boost controller. i was wondering if i could just get a cheap one off ebay,since manual boost controllers really have nothing to them,or do i need to go ahead and get a named brand one like turbo xs or something. i know you get what you pay for,but really how complex is a ball and spring,with a screw to adjust it?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: manual boost controllers (SpoolnByYou)

i have a turbo xs high performance one and havent had a single issue with it. I dont know if an electronic one would help it spool or not but i know mine works fine
Old 02-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: manual boost controllers (Soccerking3000)

manual boost controllers work on a spring which open gradually until the desired pressure is reached then stops. the gradual opening causes the wastegate to also open a bit before desired boost is reached... therefore... u dont spool as fast. so theoretically that's why an electronic one is better but i've used both and i found that when u gun it it doesnt make a damn difference. unless u have a really slow turbo and a really high set psi, i guess.... cheap MBCs are fine but they spike sometimes, main problem there.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: manual boost controllers (Fallen86)

i think bleeder boost controllers work that way but not ball and spring ones, i think the spring ones the pressure needs to reach a certain level before it even thinks about moving.

but i see ur point though, it is a spring and even some pressure (if not enough to open it all the way) may cause the spring to start to compress partially, but i think that amount is negligible, imho.

for MBC definatle ball and spring is the way to go, not bleeder.

turbo XS sells both kinds, turbo smart only has ball+spring i think, i have a generic one ball spring one. (JOE. P MBc)
Old 02-22-2006, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a homemade MBC that I made for ~$5-6 at lowes using the ball and spring technique and it has worked really well for me. I had more problems with the wastegate opening early before I added the MBC, now it opens right at my set point.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:32 AM

Default Re: (bubs)

yes,all the help is appreciated,but if you read im not wondering the difference between a ball and spring vs a bleeder,nor if a ball and spring is as good as a electronic manual boost controller. read. all im wondering is if i can get away with buying a cheap one off ebay,since there is no complex design,all it is,is a ball,spring and screw you turn.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (bubs)

Spend the money and get a name brand one. IE Turbo XS, Hallman
I had much better experiences with Manuals .I have the XS Dual stage now and it works awesome. I can get an AVCR for like nothing right now, but I cant bring myself to get into headaches again when I have something that works well