Notices

Buying turbo manifold.....how important is the wastegate location.....????

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying turbo manifold.....how important is the wastegate location.....????

Ok, I'm going to start buying all the components to piece together my turbo kit. My question concerns the turbo manifold. I've been going back and forth with people telling me that the placement of the wastegate does matter and that it doesn't matter.

I've been looking at the Rev Hard cast iron manifold, mainly because it lets me keep my A/C and PS. Someone told me not to get that one because it increases the chance of boost creep because the wastegate bleeds off only one cylinder. Does this matter?

I've also been looking at the BLOX manifold because it also lets me keep A/C and PS. Someone told me to get this one because it eliminates boost creep by placing the wastegate at the center of the manifold, bleeding all four cylinders.

My great questions are of course, first, what is boost creep? Two, why does it matter where the wastegate is placed? And finally, what manifold would yall recommend for a street driven Integra GSR that wants to keep A/C & PS?

Also, has anyone ever heard of Stealthmode Performance? I want to know how to get in contact with them about a manifold that would let me keep my A/C and PS.

please help me out, i want to be boosted by the spring time.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Buying turbo manifold.....how important is the wastegate location.....???? (Mugen-DC2)

boost creep is bad cuz you will be running out of spec from the targeted psi tune.
You generally want the wastegate attachment to be at the collector, not on the runners.

i would suggest inline pro. blox is ok but requires some dremeling of the flange and an elbow for the wastegate if you are using a GSR block.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:55 AM
Trial User

anyone have their website? would i be able to keep my A/C and PS with one of their manifolds?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Trial User

ok, i went to the InlinePro website and I was looking at their manifolds...which one would I have to buy, the T3 5-bolt manifold or the T3 4-bolt manifold? I plan on using a T3/T4 turbo..not sure of what spec yet....I only plan on reaching 300-320 whp.

what recommendations do u guys have?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Mugen-DC2)

it depends on what brand turbo you get.. precisions are 5 bolt, some garrets are 4 bolt, some are 5 bolt, turbonetics is a 5 bolt.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugen-DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, i went to the InlinePro website and I was looking at their manifolds...which one would I have to buy, the T3 5-bolt manifold or the T3 4-bolt manifold? I plan on using a T3/T4 turbo..not sure of what spec yet....I only plan on reaching 300-320 whp.

what recommendations do u guys have?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Precision SC34 should be good for that power level. It uses a 5 bolt downpipe.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EVIL Hx Coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EVIL Hx Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Precision SC34 should be good for that power level. It uses a 5 bolt downpipe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The SC34 is overkill for that power level. Just go with the SC50 if you want a Precision turbo.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RyanCivic2000)

a little ot, but if one was cramped for space and needed to place the wastegate in an odd place, say 1ft away from the manifold, but was still running off the collector do you think there would be problems with boost creeping?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Panoply)

2 topics above:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1441744
Old 11-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RACEPAK)

hmmm... maybe im wrong, but isn't that about dumptube placement, and not necesarily wastegate placement. im not talking about how to route my dumptube, but the wastegate, one foot from the manifold. im wondering if such a distance was there would i experience creep issues? thanks anyways.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:19 PM
On Fire!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Panoply &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmm... maybe im wrong, but isn't that about dumptube placement, and not necesarily wastegate placement. im not talking about how to route my dumptube, but the wastegate, one foot from the manifold. im wondering if such a distance was there would i experience creep issues? thanks anyways.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well just think about it this way if the wastegate was located 2" away from the manifold or 1ft away from it which one would react slower?

To the other guy, if you want to keep ps and a/c go with the t3 inline pro manifold this would be my #1 pic for you if you wana do this style of a manifold, its a very good manifold with good wastegate placement, I ran this manifold with a 60-1 last year and made 450whp on my old b16 motor, boost is rock solid all the time.
If you don't have the money for the inline pro I would go with the old rev hard cast. That manifold is also really good and flows quite well with good wg positioning. It also alows for ac and p/s.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Adi Radoncic)

well i understand it would react slower, but how much slower? is it going to cause significant problems? if i could have it that close to the collector i would, but space is an issue and routing the wastegate about 1ft away from the manifold just seems to be the best solution so far.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:49 PM
On Fire!

Well the gas has to travel further to get to the wg so I would think it would probably creep.. What car, engine, manifold are you working with?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Adi Radoncic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

To the other guy, if you want to keep ps and a/c go with the t3 inline pro manifold this would be my #1 pic for you if you wana do this style of a manifold, its a very good manifold with good wastegate placement, I ran this manifold with a 60-1 last year and made 450whp on my old b16 motor, boost is rock solid all the time.
If you don't have the money for the inline pro I would go with the old rev hard cast. That manifold is also really good and flows quite well with good wg positioning. It also alows for ac and p/s.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I've decided that even though i am kinda of on a budget, u get what u pay for if u start skimpin on ur engine components.. the InlinePro manifold is a bit pricey for me, but screw it..imma just save up one more week to get it....as far as the turbo goes, i was considering the T3/T4 hybrid turbo I saw on Spark Racing's website...its a 57 trim turbo...what do you guys think? would it be over kill for my motor considering I'm not after huge hp?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Trial User

Spark Racing has the turbo retailing for 550.00

they have the 60 trim, 57 trim, and 50 trim...which one would be more suitable for the street?

I would like to have power come on at around 4000 rpm on up...obviously I gotta get the car well tuned...for that i'm contacting Matt of AMS Tuning.....which one of those trims is more suitable for my motor?

P.S. forgot to ask what A/R is better for a street driven car------.63 A/R or .48 A/R? Also, what does A/R mean in simple terms...what does it do as far as the size of the turbine goes?

Modified by Mugen-DC2 at 4:15 PM 11/26/2005
Old 11-26-2005, 05:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Adi Radoncic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well the gas has to travel further to get to the wg so I would think it would probably creep.. What car, engine, manifold are you working with?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually, it should not react/open slower than having it placed closer; very minute at that. The manifold is experiencing pressure itself. Once the intake manifold reaches the desired pressure (wastegate spring or boost controller), that exhaust air is contuniously knocking on the valve so when it opens...*boom*...it is out.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Trial User

BTW, I came across the Spoolin performance log manifold..says it is A/C and PS compatible...the wastegate isn't exactly right smack in the middle, would it matter as far as boost creep goes? has anyone had experience with this manifold?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Phil from spoolin makes really good products. I have yet to hear ONE bad thing about the guy. He seems really cool when I have talked to him. It's hard not to get bashed here on h-t, he must be doin somethin right.

Also, his prices kick @$$ as well.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:47 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (KeyserSoze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Phil from spoolin makes really good products. I have yet to hear ONE bad thing about the guy. He seems really cool when I have talked to him. It's hard not to get bashed here on h-t, he must be doin somethin right.

Also, his prices kick @$$ as well. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I will take this into some serious consideration...thanx man!
Old 11-28-2005, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugen-DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Spark Racing has the turbo retailing for 550.00

they have the 60 trim, 57 trim, and 50 trim...which one would be more suitable for the street?

I would like to have power come on at around 4000 rpm on up...obviously I gotta get the car well tuned...for that i'm contacting Matt of AMS Tuning.....which one of those trims is more suitable for my motor?

P.S. forgot to ask what A/R is better for a street driven car------.63 A/R or .48 A/R? Also, what does A/R mean in simple terms...what does it do as far as the size of the turbine goes?

Modified by Mugen-DC2 at 4:15 PM 11/26/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since your goal is only 300-320whp, go with the smallest of the three, the 50 trim, it will definately be able to meet those goals.

BTW, I get full boost of almost 1 bar at 4000rpms on the SC50 .48 A/R, any of those other bigger trims that you mentioned will take longer.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:50 AM
On Fire!

Default Re: (SE-Rawkus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SE-Rawkus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Actually, it should not react/open slower than having it placed closer; very minute at that. The manifold is experiencing pressure itself. Once the intake manifold reaches the desired pressure (wastegate spring or boost controller), that exhaust air is contuniously knocking on the valve so when it opens...*boom*...it is out.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its got nothing to do with the intake manifold, it all depends on backpressure/size of the turbo and downpipe. If he's gona be running something smaller with a small downpipe it will work fine but if you have a healthier sized turbo that flows alot with a big dp strapped on to it that setup is gona have problems.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Adi Radoncic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its got nothing to do with the intake manifold, it all depends on backpressure/size of the turbo and downpipe. If he's gona be running something smaller with a small downpipe it will work fine but if you have a healthier sized turbo that flows alot with a big dp strapped on to it that setup is gona have problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess I didn't express myself correctly. My reference to the intake manifold (pressure) was directly just explaining when the wastegate opens.

Plain and simple...
Since there is positive pressure inside exhaust manifold, the length of the wastegate pipe (collector to flange) really doesn't have a huge ill effect in how quick/slow the wastegate opens just because there is positive pressure already present.