Notices

burning lots of oil, tryed everything... lost.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning lots of oil, tryed everything... lost.

Ok i have a 98 ls, bought it with intentions of boosting it from day 1. I bought the car from a lady i knew, thing was always maintained at out local dealer etc. basicly i knew it was mint. I bought the peak boost kit, instaled in on the car, its prob the 4 or 5th kit ive instaled. thing instantly burned oil. So i went though the basic ****, did a compression test. 210 across the board. So i figured it must be a faulty seal on the turbo, sent that back. Its supposedly fine, so i pulled the head off and had it pressure tested at my local machine shop, looks mint too. When i look at the bottom end, everything looks mint from what i can see, cly walls look like they were just honed out yesterday, pistons look mint. So i am totally lost, and back to square one. I think its the turbo, the exhaust side was just coated with out and there is oil blowing out my exhaust, like in liquid form. The only thing i cant really visual inspect is the oil control rings, but i cant see that volume of oil actually making it out of the cly, and thought the turbo without burning off... maybe im wrong. Like i said though my bumper and tail pipe are coated... mind you i drove it boosted 25-50 miles tops. I have a -3 feed line and im wondering if maybe im still getting to much pressure or volume or both to the turbo and that's the problem? Any insight would be great... im just sorta lost
Old 08-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: burning lots of oil, tryed everything... lost. (integra4991)

also if it helps anyone, the oil was almost like sticky... wierd.. haha
Old 08-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would like to know about this as well... wether it would be a restriction issue or something more then this....
Old 08-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a bad turbo or your drain back on the turbo is to small or kinked and causing the oil to back up in tthe turbo and makign it blow into the turbine housing. What size drain and feed do you have going to the turbo?

Is it only when yoru boosting or as soon as you start the car?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: burning lots of oil, tryed everything... lost. (Turbo-LS)

The drainline is the one that came with the turbo kit, mmeeh i forget the size haha its pretty big though dosent look kinked, like i said i sent the thing back... and was told it was mint it was only on the exhuast turbine also. Its not only when im boosting too, but it dosent always do it. and it had the charecteristics of a bad seal, more at idle etc. infact it was better when i was riping on it. What about a restrictor? would that help?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah sounds like a bad turbine seal then
Old 08-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your the kid from the pike haha im friends with ryan (yellow hatch, turbo d), i was down there with him the night he met you

Modified by integra4991 at 9:42 PM 8/16/2006
Old 08-16-2006, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah thats me I see his Hatch single cam is coming along nicely. He makign it to MIR or just fall nats?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I AM IN THE EXACT SAME DAMN BOAT AS YOU!!!!!

I had my head pressure tested too, motor was just rebuilt but reputable machine shop, I have a great catch can setup, comp/leakdown are fine too. -3AN line no restrictor but I had this same setup in another car for over a year and no oil burning.

I have narrowed it down to two things. Turbo or oil return. I had my turbo rebuilt when I rebuilt the motor just in case, and the oil return is the same one I've used before the blow up and on a different car for over a year. Oil return is -10 or
-12AN SS line.

The oil is definitely only coming out the exhaust, not leaking out anywhere else. If I drive easy, I don't burn oil really but when I hit boost just daily driving, after about a week, my oil is almost gone........pressure is still good though according to my oil press gauge.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: burning lots of oil, tryed everything... lost. (mike1114)

Sounds like they did a shitty job rebuilding the turbo, you wont notice any smoke when driving easy, when your bosting it will be heavy oil burn and then light oil burn. The oil build up on the turbine blades and thats why at first boosting spool will be slower and there will be alot more smoke.

Same thing happend with my buddies turbo, we replaced the turbine seal and it was fine after that untill the drain got kinked and now smokes again. Just make sure your drain is good and if it is then the turbine seal is shot
Old 08-16-2006, 10:32 AM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: burning lots of oil, tryed everything... lost. (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I AM IN THE EXACT SAME DAMN BOAT AS YOU!!!!!

I had my head pressure tested too, motor was just rebuilt but reputable machine shop, I have a great catch can setup, comp/leakdown are fine too. -3AN line no restrictor but I had this same setup in another car for over a year and no oil burning.

I have narrowed it down to two things. Turbo or oil return. I had my turbo rebuilt when I rebuilt the motor just in case, and the oil return is the same one I've used before the blow up and on a different car for over a year. Oil return is -10 or
-12AN SS line.

The oil is definitely only coming out the exhaust, not leaking out anywhere else. If I drive easy, I don't burn oil really but when I hit boost just daily driving, after about a week, my oil is almost gone........pressure is still good though according to my oil press gauge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same boat I'm in. I have another turbo that I'm throwing on my car when my new manifold gets here, along with a new return line and feed. I accidentally cross-threaded the current feed, but its tightened to expletive-tight so it won't leak.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: burning lots of oil, tryed everything... lost. (daveG)

Get an oil restrictor. I was told all honda's should have them since the oil pressure is so high on hondas. I did that and it seems to make it stop. But yours sounds like the seals are bad as well but before putting the turbo back on I would purchase a restrictor.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: burning lots of oil, tryed everything... lost. (delslo93)

I repeat....I had this setup on a car for over a year and no restrictor was needed then......why would one be needed now? No oil burning for that year.....
Old 08-16-2006, 11:43 AM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: burning lots of oil, tryed everything... lost. (delslo93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delslo93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get an oil restrictor. I was told all honda's should have them since the oil pressure is so high on hondas. I did that and it seems to make it stop. But yours sounds like the seals are bad as well but before putting the turbo back on I would purchase a restrictor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have an oil restrictor on it now. Oil restrictor will be going on the new turbo once the manifold gets here as well.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: burning lots of oil, tryed everything... lost. (daveG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I repeat....I had this setup on a car for over a year and no restrictor was needed then......why would one be needed now? No oil burning for that year.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Possibly took that long to reck your seals??

I had issues with oil out my exhuast, but i was using too large of a line for the feed. Now i'm down to a 3 an stopped that issue. Put a 1/16 th restrictor in, still having some other issues, but it spools a lot faster now. I have oil that leaks in after i shut the car off, i can see it dripping out between my exhaust housing and center section.

I've asked this before with no answer, but i have a garrett turbo, and the way it seals up the oil is via pressure differential. In other words, no seals. So, is it possible that having too large of an downpipe/exhuast, would cause not enough pressure to keep the oil in the center section?

Old 08-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: burning lots of oil, tryed everything... lost. (coneheadsracing)

well like i said in my case i sent the turbo out and had it torn down, was told it is fine. But im thinkin thats bs maybe? dont know, im gunna put a restrictor in there, its the only solution i see, the return line is great and i have a great catch can set-up etc.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also have a garrett turbo... maybe that is a issue, but i know tons of people with garrett turbos and huge/exhaust dp combos. The kid with the yellow hatch i mentioned earlyer is one of them, 4" dp strait dump nada issues.... wierd. where are you guys running your restrictors? off the back of the block or right at the turbo? And to turbo-ls, hes getting tuned in two weeks (as am i if i can get my **** togeather) thats all i know right now haha ive been over there helping him here and there and its comin along fast, things gunna be bad ***!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it could be crank case pressure. Make sure your pcv system is working properly and evacuating the crankcase at idle - it allows the rings to seal better.

Here's an easy test you can do if the car is smoking at idle.

take the oil feed line off the turbo and plug it to see if the smoking stops. letting the car idle for a few minutes without the oil line hooked up will not hurt the turbo.

I did the same thing as a sanity check.

My new build started smoking a bit at about 500 miles. I had the crank case vent open to atmosphere. I changed my setup so now I have a pcv valve hooked to my breather tank again, and hooked up the port on the valve cover to my intake tube (with a slash cut) the smoking stopped immediately.

EDIT: I also changed the oil because I think due to improper crank case venting the oil may have been contaminated and thinned out, which could have contributed to improper ring seal and smoking.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr. Helsinki)

I'd put the restrictor right at the turbo. thats where mine is at.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put the restrictor @ the turbo & is your feed line at the top/center, feeding down. I ran mine horizontally & smoked like a bitch.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra4991 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also have a garrett turbo... maybe that is a issue, but i know tons of people with garrett turbos and huge/exhaust dp combos. The kid with the yellow hatch i mentioned earlyer is one of them, 4" dp strait dump nada issues.... wierd. where are you guys running your restrictors? off the back of the block or right at the turbo? And to turbo-ls, hes getting tuned in two weeks (as am i if i can get my **** togeather) thats all i know right now haha ive been over there helping him here and there and its comin along fast, things gunna be bad ***!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice, ill run that when its tuned and im tuned. Might not be fair with prolly a 200-300whp difference but still be fun as hell

I have my restrictor on the turbo
Old 08-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (A2gt35r)

i have a elbow supplied with my kit that makes it run in horizontally, i can eliminate that now with the restictor . turbo-ls, he can run it on the street, aeromotive said with the size of his cell and the pump being as big as it is, he'll over heat it like woah. but i bet he'll run you at the strip if you'll bring your car down! Thanks to everyone who's helped so far! im going to be re-working alot of stuff now
Old 08-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (integra4991)

5 gallon cell? I have a 12 gallon but i ususally only run 5 gallons and the pump is fine.

BUT ill be at fall nationals so hopefully we gte lined up
Old 08-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo-LS)

yeah its a 5gal cell, yeah thatd be a sick line up. your car looked pretty bad *** from what i could see down at the pike. hopefully... someday, ill get mine down there, right now it needs emissions and its obdII and im running all obdI **** haha... im just full of problems recently haha