Notices

Budget boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Budget boost

Well ok im gonna throw this out there and see what i can get.

Ok i took my pay check and headed out to the junkyard with a 300 dollar budget.

So here goes

Picked out a turbo, BOV from a eclipse for 125
side mount cooler from a talon 30
some manifold off an eg that was wasted 30
boost gauge with a broken lens 15

Yea so thi sis going to go on the d15.. since im new at the budget boost i know i still need things, anyone got any suggestions what else, do i need another ECU or is stock ok? can i get a wastegate off anything that will be salvagable, should i get a higher flow fuel pump? and will i need any other fuel management up front? im not gonna spend more than 500 on this boost since its on a d15 play car.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spend more money to buy the good and new ****. dont buy the used stuff from junkyards
Old 01-27-2006, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're going cheap, I guess you could top it off with an FMU and an inline fuel pump which will let you keep the stock injectors and ecu. Don't try to run it without any kind of fuel managment or it will blow up and also keep in mind that you shouldn't try to go above 7-8psi with an FMU.

You'll also need some oil feed and return lines, downpipe, wastegate, dump tube, map bypass/missing link (only if you use FMU), intercooler piping, piping couplers, and a bunch of misc. items like vac. hose and fuel line.

I hope you have a welder or know someone that can weld, because having a downpipe made can be pricey and it's pretty well impossible to have one pre-made since every setup is different.

I can't imagine that you'll be able to stay under $500, but good luck.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bubs)

Honestly if your gonna go the cheap route on a d15 i would leave it at like 6psi on the dsm turbo with stock injectors and a fmu...At that low boost you should be fine...i would back the timing down to about 13 degrees..and you'll be safe....BUT i wouldnt up the boost more then 6 psi or so without any kind of ems...plus you probably have stock headbolts....so i wouldnt want to risk anything...especially if your on a slim budget.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hotimportcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bubs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">map bypass/missing link (only if you use FMU) </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol...go to petco and get some check valves!!!....lol seriously but for the price of an fmu and missing link you can just get your ecu chipped and tuned on like uberdata
Old 01-27-2006, 05:54 AM

Default Re: (hotimportcrx)

Instead of going FMU I suggest to get some:

- DSM 450 injectors (blue tops) $50
- Resistor box $15
- Chip your ECU for uberdata $50
- If you have time, borrow a wideband to tune with a friend. otherwise, make a conservative basemap

This is cheaper than FMU + inline fuel pump and yet much more reliable.

Don't run more than 7 psi.

Have fun
Old 01-27-2006, 06:40 AM

Default Re: (elpiar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elpiar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Instead of going FMU I suggest to get some:

- DSM 450 injectors (blue tops) $50
- Resistor box $15
- Chip your ECU for uberdata $50
- If you have time, borrow a wideband to tune with a friend. otherwise, make a conservative basemap

This is cheaper than FMU + inline fuel pump and yet much more reliable.

Don't run more than 7 psi.

Have fun
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-27-2006, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Budget boost (h22HatchEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22HatchEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well ok im gonna throw this out there and see what i can get.

Ok i took my pay check and headed out to the junkyard with a 300 dollar budget.

So here goes

Picked out a turbo, BOV from a eclipse for 125
side mount cooler from a talon 30
some manifold off an eg that was wasted 30
boost gauge with a broken lens 15

Yea so thi sis going to go on the d15.. since im new at the budget boost i know i still need things, anyone got any suggestions what else, do i need another ECU or is stock ok? can i get a wastegate off anything that will be salvagable, should i get a higher flow fuel pump? and will i need any other fuel management up front? im not gonna spend more than 500 on this boost since its on a d15 play car.

Thanks guys.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Find a turbo with an internal wastegate.. I would look into chipping out your ecu and running uberdata if your on a budget.. ECU's can be chipped out for much less than buying a fuel pump and fmu(PM 93turbo16 for chipping)..

Dont forget about charge pipes and connectors.. Go to jcwhitney.com and get the piping and go to stealthmodeperformance.com for the connectors, get ebay t-bolt clamps..

Get the intercooler last if you can.. I would look into a used fmic or a johnnyracecar fmic before getting a dsm sidemount..

Go to homemadeturbo.com and look around, this will help you alot when doing a budget build..

Personally I think you budget is still too small for doing a turbo project, usally a smally budget is around the $1000 mark..
Old 01-29-2006, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Budget boost (h22HatchEG)

Thanks guys, yea i think im gonna have to spend a little more, heh. thanks a ton for the input i will let you guys know how it goes, and of course tons of high quality pics to go with it.