Notices

Brian Crower LS dual valve springs, so much spring rate that belt keeps jumping time

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brian Crower LS dual valve springs, so much spring rate that belt keeps jumping time

I've installed more cams/valve springs than I can recall, and have never had this issue. These valve springs have alot of spring rate being dual springs. Despite getting every last bit of slack from the backside, it just isn't enough to not see slight lift off the intake cam gear when turning the motor by hand.

I would've liked to change to a new timing belt, but the owner just wouldn't do it. The belt on the car is in descent shape though, so I don't really think that's the issue.

Is the stock belt just weak to the extent it's stretching and allowing momentary slack on the backside? I'm not aware of any recommended upgrade when using these valve springs, but I need a solution here. I've tried to begin a slight turn on the crank to release up any last slack then retension, but it's just not doing the job.

I'm done for the night, but I'll just get back at it tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never seen that with a belt, but have many times with chains, when they become stretched out.
So just replace the belt..it sounds like it's on it's last leg.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you tried tensioning the belt manually?? stick a long flat head under the spring hole and pry up, should get a stretched belt or used belt tighter than a whistle... hope it helps gl..
Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DRIVENRacing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DRIVENRacing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you tried tensioning the belt manually?? stick a long flat head under the spring hole and pry up, should get a stretched belt or used belt tighter than a whistle... hope it helps gl.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, that's precisely what I started to do, but even overtightening a belt can lead to it's failure as well. I think that my only true resolve, even if only to eliminate it as the problem, is to just demand the owner put up the cash to replace the belt entirely.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brian Crower LS dual valve springs, so much spring rate that belt keeps jumping time (RC000E)

I installed a set of BC springs and retainers in my GSR last year and my Toda timing belt jumped immediately. Thought maybe I didn't have it on tight enough so had a friend help me put it on tighter. Drove car to tuner, had it tuned and it jumped when I drove it after the tune (was going maybe 15mph). I put a b20 timing belt on and it's been fine since.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf, b20 belt on a gsr? I thought the non vtec belt was a different length.

It seems like one fo the failure modes of the belt is stretching and jumping, I never knew that. I always thought it would just snap one day.

A new belt is the only solution, the owner of the car must be a complete idiot to not immediately approve that, after you told him what was going on. He deserves to have it jump. Tightening it up will just stretch it out more, making it line up with the cam gear teeth even less, and more likely to jump off.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rorik)

Yeah, that's exactly where I'm comin from. The owner isn't a cheapskate, and it kind of surprised me he didn't replace it right off the bat. To be completely honest, I don't even know why he bought the cams/valve springs being he's going ls/vtec within a couple months. Might as well run the LS and save the money from the cams and valvesprings but hey....dudes are gonna do what they're gonna do.

Either way, yeah I see no other solution but the obvious, which is to replace the belt. I just wanted to mainly hear if others had this issue in the past or not.