Notices

BOV's and wastegates?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV's and wastegates?

I have a few questions,

You can put a BOV on ANY turbocharged car correct? why don't all stock turbocharged cars have BOV's? is it because they don't build enough pressure to require the pressure relief provided by a BOV??

wastegates, is a wastegate open under normal throttle applications and then closes when throttle reaches a certain point (ie 50% throttle or greater)?and when there is load on the engine? is taht why you can be at 5,000 rpms but not using boost??
Old 06-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOV's and wastegates? (DusterDC5)

The wastegate is a valve that allows the exhaust to bypass the turbine blades. The wastegate senses the boost pressure. If the pressure gets too high, it could be an indicator that the turbine is spinning too quickly, so the wastegate bypasses some of the exhaust around the turbine blades, allowing the blades to slow down.

As for blow off valves most stock turbocharged cars run whats called a diverter valve. If you attempt to add a BOV on a car with a diverter vlave you will have terrible compressor surge along with boost issues.

Try howstuffworks.com for more answers to your questions
Old 06-29-2006, 09:07 PM

Default Re: BOV's and wastegates? (urbansi)

Cool, good information! thanks!! so could you remove a diverter valve with a BOV? and why do they use a diverter valve instead of a BOV because of the noise a BOV makes? How come some BOV's are realllly loud and some are not?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know say a Mazda speed protge(sp) has a diverter valve, and since working on my buddies and doing some research it normally costs and arm and a leg to replace the stock diverter system, but it is possible.

As for using one over the the other i couldnt tell you.

Most BOV's are loud due to their construction and outlet diameter as well as how many valves are present ie: blitz dual drive and HKS's super sequential unit.

The loudest i know of is the Turbo XS RFL, the outlet looks to be cloned after an air horn.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:24 PM

Default Re: BOV's and wastegates? (urbansi)

humm i didn't realize it would be that much work, i sappose if your doing a bigger turbo setup it makes sense to put a nice loud BOV in, thanks for the info.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DusterDC5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cool, good information! thanks!! so could you remove a diverter valve with a BOV? and why do they use a diverter valve instead of a BOV because of the noise a BOV makes? How come some BOV's are realllly loud and some are not? </TD></TR></TABLE>

because ur 45yr old dad driving his saab 9-3 aero ( or any other "upscale" turbo car) doesnt want to hear "swoooosh, psssshh" everytime he shifts. alot of cars have tiny turbos and quite frankly its annoying as hell to hear that **** every time you rev above 2.5k rpms
Old 06-30-2006, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOV's and wastegates? (moops vs moors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moops vs moors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW diverter valve is the same as a BOV only it returns the air back into the system which makes it quieter and is neccesary on MAF cars despite what DSM guys say.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can just relocate the maf after the bov and/or right next to the throttlebody...
Old 06-30-2006, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or you can get the turbosmart diverter valve that releases some air into the atmosphere and recirculates...so u can get both effects but they are really expensive