Notices

BOV ? need an educated answer

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV ? need an educated answer

I have a blitz DD bov and when I had it with my old set up (junk yard oil blowing T-3 internally gated at 5lbs it sounded great pshhhhhh ) Now i have a t3/t4 W/a stage 3 compressor wheel and a tial 35mm wg@4 1/2lbs and the bov makes a fluttering noise This is no big deal, I mean if it's going to sound this way then its going to sound this way. I am just worried that it could be compressor surge.

It would be nice to get the sound back though. I have since adjusted the **** out of the thing and no response, recently i teed the vac hose into the evac or evap what ever its called and under boost at high rpms you can start to hear that good ol sound come back, but still not how it used to be. Would having a dump pipe plumbed back in the down pipe from the w.g. help?

The guy at the shop in seattle was of no help as usual too. He said that this bov is recommeded for a little more boost and then continued to tell me that all of the bovs, like greddy hks and so on would be the same and that i just need to run more boost. This doesnt' make since to me being that lets say I'm running 14lbs, what would happen if i only boosted up to 3 or 5 and let off and got that fluttering noise which could be compressor surge. It would only make sence to me that the bov would release pressure any time there is boost in the system and you let off the throttle.

Need some serious help from knowledgable people thank you

[Modified by spooled b16, 10:05 PM 12/16/2002]

[Modified by spooled b16, 10:12 PM 12/16/2002]

[Modified by spooled b16, 10:13 PM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 01:38 PM

Default Re: BOV ? need an educated answer (spooled b16)

You're right, the guy at the shop doesn't know what he's talking about.

The fluttering sound, does it happen while your in boost? If so, the BOV is leaking.

When you're at part throttle around 0 on the boost guage? Then no big deal, the combination of no downforce on the upper part of the diaphragm and pressure in the intercooler tubing is making the valve hop a little.

Only when you let off the gas? Then probably compressor surge.

If the BOV is not opening all the way, or simply does not flow enough to not make the compressor go into surge, then you hear that "WOO Woo woo woo woo" sound when you let off the gas.

More boost will mean more surge! You can either get a bigger BOV, or you can use two

Old 12-16-2002, 01:52 PM

Default Re: BOV ? need an educated answer (DodgeGuy)

Im only talking about when i let off the gas and or shift. I really don't think two would help, I have only seen that done a few hondas running lots of boost and what do you mean by bigger? No woo woo sound either

[Modified by spooled b16, 10:54 PM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 02:06 PM

Default Re: BOV ? need an educated answer (DodgeGuy)

You should just sell your car.You keep having problems with everything,it's one thing after another, maybe it's just bad luck.....while your at it just go ahead and give your friend jesse your new intercooler and your stock rims. .....ok ........

or another option is to run more boost, hell crank it up, start with the .65 bar spring that was in the wg when i sold it to you, then use my crappy mbc to raise the boost to oh say 1.65bar.If the bov still makes the fluttering sound ....something is wrong with it. No need to thank me, glad i could help.Have a few before you crank the boost up. that way you won't worry about the 25psi that your about to run .....

Since I helped oh so much here's a free bump...... up to the top it goes, to get you an answer.........

[Modified by b16ahybrid, 3:07 PM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 03:40 PM

Default Re: BOV ? need an educated answer (b16ahybrid)

well, i have the "older" blitz bov that i purchased used as while back on ebay. i had the same "shuttering" noise and i thought the bov itself was bad so i took it apart just for the hell of it. well, after examining it for a while there really isn't anything that can break since it only consists of a large spring and a piston. i tried adjusting the bolt and nothing happened. after several tries and clueless on what to do, i did a search and found out that the brake booster is a good vac. source. so, i went to home depot bought a few air compressor fittings and now, i get that beutiful bov sound that everyone's after. also, i didn't like the whole idea of connecting several vac sources w/ plastic tee's and was thinking what i should do when i came across a pretty dope gadget. it's called an "air compressor" manifold and it basically allows you to add 3-1/4 in. barb fittings so you can tap off several vac lines in one source and has a little bit of a "bling bling" factor to it. i don't know where my digicam is right now but i'll post some pics as soon as i find it.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:00 PM

Default Re: BOV ? need an educated answer (theory48)

Thanks this helps. Can i just tee into the brake booster line with a plastic tee or will this not work. My engine is a b16a2, could you tell me where this is located. The air compressor fitting thing you speak of sounds just like a multi-tee is this right. More info please

pics would be great thanks
Old 12-16-2002, 07:24 PM

I'll give you the intercooler and the wheels for the baby!
Old 12-16-2002, 11:47 PM

is a "multi-tee" a part? not sure but w/ the manifold, you can put thre things onto it. i'll post pics asap.

edit: btw, i have a b16a3(delsol) so everything should be the w/ yours

[Modified by theory48, 8:48 AM 12/17/2002]
Old 12-17-2002, 10:56 AM

Thanks try to make sure i can see exactly where the line goes to and where it comes from if not try to explain it as best as possible i want to try this asap.

I pray to the bov gods that you can give me the pshhhhhhhh back amen
Old 12-17-2002, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been asking the same question for weeks...let me know if you figure something out. If all else fails, I'm gonna buy an HKS SSQ and call it a day.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:32 PM

I'll give you the intercooler and the wheels for the baby!

hmm, how about no.
I'll trade my cat for your intercooler and wheels....It's really nice ......
The tracking number for my new hairdryer was sent to me today, hopefully it will arrive before x-mas...if so thats going to be my x-mas break project..I'm off dec 22- jan 1st.....we're going to have to meet up have a few ....and bring brandy.........another free bump.....you owe me now
Old 12-17-2002, 09:27 PM

Sounds like a plan. I'll definently help you out with your turbo install cause i don't want you to mess it up again j/k and about the that's a ten-four good buddy. About the trade I like the cat, but I need the baby I havn't ate one for ever, so how bout I give you Brandi for the baby

thanks for the bump again

[Modified by spooled b16, 6:33 AM 12/18/2002]
Old 12-17-2002, 09:32 PM

Default Re: BOV ? need an educated answer (95civicturbo)

I've been asking the same question for weeks...let me know if you figure something out. If all else fails, I'm gonna buy an HKS SSQ and call it a day.
Ya I've talked to other people and it sounds like that should've been the one I bought. The hks opens no problem at low boost and then i guess has a totally different way of opening for high boost. I wish the guys at garage spl would have told me that in the first place when I specifically asked them which would be best for low boost and high boost duh
Old 12-18-2002, 04:55 AM

Sounds like a plan. I'll definently help you out with your turbo install cause i don't want you to mess it up again j/k and about the that's a ten-four good buddy. About the trade I like the cat, but I need the baby I havn't ate one for ever, so how bout I give you Brandi for the baby

Brandi it is...... .......If i recall correctly who's the one that went through 10 turbo's before forking out the money for a real one... .... oh wait i did the same thing... .....anways it should be here soon, i'll buy the ... you bring some tools .....

bump......
Old 12-18-2002, 09:52 AM

deal plus you have to help me install my intercooler

Brandi it is...... .......If i recall correctly who's the one that went through 10 turbo's before forking out the money for a real one... .... oh wait i did the same thing... .....anways it should be here soon, i'll buy the ... you bring some tools .....

bump......
Old 12-18-2002, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same BOV and it works perfectly at 5psi or higher. What I did though was have it's own vacuum source so nothing else gets the vac source from the BOV vac source. I would say try that see if it works. If that doesnt work try tightning the screw at the top of the BOV. If that doesnt work then you got me. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:11 PM

Default Re: BOV ? need an educated answer (DC2R714)

It has it's own vac source and i have adjusted the ship out of it, but you know what maybe i need to adjust it a lil more precisely, I would also love for theory to post the pics of the brake booster tee in. I seemed to have solved his problems

thanks for postn
Old 12-18-2002, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the bov. Ive seen many old style Blitz bovs freeze. Make sure the piston moves freely. Take your finger and push the bottom of the vavle on the flange side. If it sticks, you found your problem. The internals seem to somehow to get scored. If all is good then try a different vacuum source.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:50 PM

Default Re: BOV ? need an educated answer (proclassracer)

All ready did that, If you read my first post you would see that it is the new bov the dd

thanks for the advice
Old 12-19-2002, 04:20 AM

oh, sorry, i'll try to post em asap.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:49 PM

thanks theory that would be great
Old 12-20-2002, 07:58 PM

bump
Old 12-21-2002, 10:35 PM

well, i finally got a chance to take a picture of my vacuum set up. here you go. btw, as you can see from the pics, the set up consists of: 1- 1/4" to 1/4" tee, 1/4" male to 3/4" female adapter, 4- 1/4" barb fittings, and 1- "quick connect" air compressor fittin (to plug one source not being used)

edit- actually, it's not 4- 1/4" barbs. its 2- 3/4" outer diameter barb w/ 1/4 inch threads and 2- 1/4" outer diameter barb w/ 1/4" inch threads. the 3/4" barbs go in between the brake booster line while the 1/4" barbs are for the vacuum lines for the accessories. i found all of these at the tool section of home depot where they carry all their air compressor stuff. i tried using npt and other fittings for gas and water but the air compressor stuff seems to have the most variety. let me know what happens and don't forget to post some pics of your setup, spooled

[Modified by theory48, 7:43 AM 12/22/2002]
Old 12-22-2002, 12:44 AM

thank you, you kept to your word, you are a true tech memb. enough *** kissing j.k makes sense and i can do that. Just wondering why is the charge pipe stopping at the block. Just not hooked up? I understand.

YOU deserve not 1 not :2beer: , but and a and booyah!!!!

even though I havn't tried it yet

just for the effort, if you need help from me don't hesitate to ask!

I was just wondering though what kind of bov releases at 1lb. of boost or lower cause in a sence any time you have boost in the system no matter how low it is the bov should release it right, or else you would have surge. Or does it take more boost?

just another ?