Notices

Bought a used turbo kit for my 95 gsr (BOV is in a weird spot) why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a used turbo kit for my 95 gsr (BOV is in a weird spot) why?

I recently purchased a t3/t4 turbo setup for my 95 integra gsr and the BOV on the intercooler piping is mounted on the intercooler pipe that runs directly off the turbo (i think it's called hot pipe). It's mounted right before the pipe goes into the intercooler. Is there any advantages/disadvantages for the previous owner doing this? Does it help any? Will it cause any problems? Let em know before i instal this kit thanks?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bought a used turbo kit for my 95 gsr (BOV is in a weird spot) why? (seanc520)

its fine......
look where mine is. he hee. drivers side of the intercooler. turbo discharge is right behind it. f-r back door.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What benefits does that have?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Re: (zerovandez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zerovandez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What benefits does that have?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are venting hot air coming from the turbo rather than air that has already been cooled, also since the bov is closer to the turbo, in theory you should have less of a pressure drop between shifts because you dont have to pressurize the entire charge piping/intercooler.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Re: (Devine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Devine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are venting hot air coming from the turbo rather than air that has already been cooled, also since the bov is closer to the turbo, in theory you should have less of a pressure drop between shifts because you dont have to pressurize the entire charge piping/intercooler.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that point is null. run an ATM bov and you will always have a huge pressure drop between shifts. temperature has really nothing to do with it. but in going with your theory, you also need to consider the fact of how quickly charge air changes temperature, and even if there was still "cold" air going back through the core and and meeting up with hot air, the thermal transfer would be extremely rapid. not to mention the volume of air you're going to flow, in say a pull to redline, the "cold" air you mentioned (granted there is ANY!) would consist of like 1% of the total air consumed.

secondly, you have to factor in the length of vac line going to the turbo. having the BOV closer to the TB (ie right before it) allows the use of the smallest vac line, increasing reponse time. any engine builder will tell you run the shortest vac line for boost controller, aftermarket MAP, etc for response & accuracy.

third, and well this could be debated.. is turbulence. vent air further backwards meaning the charged air has to travel backwards, back through the core again, and considering the length of time the BOV is open, could cause some undesirable effects. why not place the BOV closest to the destination point, air is vented in a positive flow direction.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive heard the bov is alot more sensitive in this spot too. Help it relieves pressure easier/sooner?? then it would mounted near the throttle body....im not sure though.