Notices

Boosted f22b1 Pushing coolant - was changing head gasket...cracked sleeve???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 12:53 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boosted f22b1 Pushing coolant - was changing head gasket...cracked sleeve???

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........

I pulled my head` today and found what I think is a crack in my number 1 sleeve ... GAY... Got a friend coming to look at it with me tomorrow. 6 months of boosting 10-11 psi on a 150,000 mile stock f22b1 finally took its toll (allthopugh beaten profusely the whole time for 15,000 miles) LOL.

It still ran, didnt smoke, and pulled HARD, but it would push all of the coolant out of the resevoir. I thought it was the headgasket so we pulled the head, and yes.... the rear of the gasket seemed to be leaking on all four cylinders. The scratch i found in #1 makes me nervous... I hope its not cracked all the way through. Just not sure.

Thought I was just gonna be puttin in my studs, gasket, and living happily ever after... Maybe not now. Still gonna put in the new head gasket and studs- button it up and hope it lasts for a couple more months so i can get a built shortblock (and lsd tranny) in it.

FUKKKKK....

can a head "lift" even though the head bolts are still tight as hell???? the intake side of the head gasket seemed to be leaking (and pressurizing) the waterjacket.- therefore pushing the coolant.

Ill try to post some of the shitty pics i took of the "scratch"/crack?
Old 06-10-2006, 06:47 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: Boosted f22b1 Pushing coolant - was changing head gasket...cracked sleeve??? (bigdaddyvtec)

yeah we need to see pics before u jump to conclusions. is the "crack" at the top? alot of single cams lift heads (D and F series) they are known to do it especially on stock head bolts at the stock torque.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boosted f22b1 Pushing coolant - was changing head gasket...cracked sleeve??? (I Have an STD)

Yes a head can still lift.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:22 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Boosted f22b1 Pushing coolant - was changing head gasket...cracked sleeve??? (I Have an STD)

It seems to be at least a scratch toward the top of the block, but not all the way at the top of the sleeve. Im thinking i might be okay. Gonna put it back together monday, i dont have agood camera to take pictures with- but i talked to some people, and am havuing Blindfashion come take a look tomorrow.

The scratch can be felt with my finger, but im thinking its not craqcked. As i understand it if a sleeve is going to crack, it will do so at the top of the bore, correct????

I believe the head lifted causing my hg to fail on the rear portion (causing the coolant to push). Hopefilly ARPs and a copper coated gasket will take care of it!!!

Thanksd guys. Im optimistic, but as I mentioned- a built block is only a couple of months away
Old 06-10-2006, 03:37 PM
wrenchin'

Default Re: Boosted f22b1 Pushing coolant - was changing head gasket...cracked sleeve??? (bigdaddyvtec)

blind fashion? he dont know ****. silly random hero
Old 06-10-2006, 06:09 PM
* B A N N E D *

ya....... riiiiiiight, he dont know ****....just enough to build 4-5-600 hp motors.....silly random hero...
Old 06-11-2006, 07:03 AM
wrenchin'

word, good luck puttin it back together
Old 06-11-2006, 11:21 AM
* B A N N E D *

Thanks man
Old 06-11-2006, 11:49 PM
* B A N N E D *

Welp, The verdict is in:

Sleeves are fine, motor is fine, head looks good...
Studs go in tommorow, and new tranny as well (thanks JDM!)
Thanks Josh for coming out and helping me out, much appreciated.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigdaddyvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Welp, The verdict is in:
Studs go in tommorow, and new tranny as well (thanks JDM!)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hopefully those will help you. Reusing stock head bolts on a boosted set-up is a bad idea.