head gasket and ARP studs question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Master H Technician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket and ARP studs question

Ok, this should be a fairly simple answer for someone I hope... When I first built my motor I followed the arp head stud info and retorqued them after 1 heat cycle as noted for stretching. Since that time I pulled the head off and put a new head gasket on... Ive been running the head gasket for about 1000 miles and my head gasket has sprung a small coolant leak. In cylinder 1 i have a very small amount of condesation buildup and on startup I get white smoke. Did I need to retorque the head bolts after another heat cycle since I pulled the head and thats most likely why i have a small leak? Im going to pull the head back off and put a new head gasket on there unless retorquing the studs would fix my leak...

EDIT: I run a compression test everytime I get in the car since the first time I turned it over... I consistently have been getting 185 across the board and after the leak started, I still get the SAME numbers... I also have no coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant... But there is definently coolant in cylinder 1.. 2-3 drops worth.. Anyone?

Old 09-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Master H Technician

Default Re: head gasket and ARP studs question (JTCdudeman)

Guys, I would appreciate a reply of any kind quite honestly....

I initially figured I had blown the gasket with the smoking issue I had..(I drive the car once every week or so and am meticulous about everything considering the money spent on the engine could literally buy me a s2000 or something nicer.) It only smoked on one startup after i went into a store for a minute. Once I got it home I checked to find the condensation I mentioned before. I also did the compression test as I mentioned and it stayed consistent... I assumed the gasket was gone up until that point and I deduced it was reasonable to say the head lifted considering the amount of boost I am running and maybe the arp head studs just need a retorquing... Ive yet to have time to tighten the studs or pull the head if needed.

So, what are the internet FI gurus opinions on the matter?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: head gasket and ARP studs question (JTCdudeman)

Retorque the head studs. In addition I would make sure the studs are tight as well. Ive had 2 of my studs come loose while the nut was torqued down to the proper specs and even retorqued like you did. I have no idea how a stud can loosen up while in tension, they arent supposed to but 2 of them did. I also had a small coolant leak. I wasnt burning coolant but I was pressurizing the coolant system and almost overheated.

After I retorqued the studs I was fine. No more overheating and the head gasket was not replaced.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:42 AM
Master H Technician

Default Re: head gasket and ARP studs question (Muckman)

Thanks for the reply.... I guess I will try retorqueing them down before i pull the head... Any advice on getting the coolant out w/o blowing it out the back?

I never mentioned it, but I am running 17psi on a h22a with a T-60... So, lets say head lift is reasonable when it comes down to it...