Notices

Boost power issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost power issue

My ITR is just boosted but is giving very poor figures so there's gotta be a problem somewhere. Its pushing out only around 200whp and 150lb of torque at 6.5psi. Its untuned at the moment...

Here is my setup:

Totally stock B18C6
GReddy 8 iridium plugs
T3/To4e .60/.63 a/r 60 trim.
Maxrev manifold & downpipe
Maxrev FMIC
Custom 2.25" piping
HKS SSQV
Tial 35mm (stock 0.45 bar spring)
Stock fpr and pump
500cc injectors
VAFC Hack

I might have forgotten something else.....

Its pretty rich at the moment (plugs were pretty blacked out) but I wouldn't have thought the richness would cause that much of a power drop...I can't see anything that is obvious that I could look into. I get a 6psi reading on my boost gauge but I can't seem to feel the build up of boost or that kick when full boost is reached. Could there be a leak somewhere that is causing the lack of power in this magnitude?? When N/A, the car runs very strong and had no problems at all. Now it doesn't seem like I'm boosted by much at all

Any pointers would be much appreciated..I just can't wait to feel real boost..

[Modified by swlabhot, 12:07 AM 3/30/2003]
Old 03-29-2003, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Boost power issue (swlabhot)

Its untuned at the moment...

[Modified by swlabhot, 12:07 AM 3/30/2003]
You answered your own question.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Boost power issue (Diego Boost)

OK. I'm expecting to get around 250-260whp with this setup. I can't really see how I'm goin to get that by just tuning on the AFC....

There are people on this board with similar setups using AFC hack, untuned, that is getting that sort of power...There really isn't much in the AFC tuning..I've played with the fuel trims on it and there doesn't seem to be vast emounts of improvements, certainly not enough difference to make up for the unexpected lack of power/torque...
Old 03-29-2003, 05:36 PM

I get a 6psi reading on my boost gauge but I can't seem to feel the build up of boost or that kick when full boost is reached.
crank up the boost and and you will feel the power.

i wouldnt have that much high hopes for 6 psi. i mean 200 whp is pretty damn good for that little boost. the most u can possibly get tuned is around 230-240 whp. if you want to feel the boost, then tune it and crank it up.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Boost power issue (TurboDANDEE)

Man I cant believe some people here...

"Crank up the boost" when the guy JUST said "it's untunced at the moment"

When you say untuned what do you mean ?? I wouldnt expect too much more from 6 psi untuned.. What injectors and fuel set up are you running ? FMU ??

Give us some more info... The numbers sound so so.. How about your timing ?
Old 03-29-2003, 08:05 PM

when i did the vafc hack on my accord, i got the a'pexi turbo timer for the air/fuel ratio feature... it's not the best but it gives you a temporary solution until you run to the dyno... if it is running too rich, you may want to trim out more fuel... btw, what are you vafc settings so far..? also, what exhaust do you have..?
Old 03-29-2003, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Boost power issue (TurboDANDEE)

i wouldnt have that much high hopes for 6 psi. i mean 200 whp is pretty damn good for that little boost. .
Yeah maybe if he had a b18b and not a b18c5 (or 6).
6psi on a type r should make more power then that if it's tuned properly.

Your probably runing extreemly rich, I know when i upgraded my turbo I was runing extreemly rich so rich it killed all the power. The car would pull like a n/a car then you could feel the turbo start to spool and then vtec would hit and it was all over the car wouldn't accelerate anymore, it felt like it hit a wall. I leaned it out and cured the problem. I've since put it on a dyno to dial in the air/fuel ratio, I picked up 30+ whp by fine tuning the fuel curve. I used a sfc to lean it out more (air fuel ratio of 10.0:1 - 10.5:1 before fine tuning) i leaned it out to about 12.0:1- 12.5:1 and jumped from just under 200whp to just shy of 230whp. Fuel has a lot to do with power. you may also want to look into doing a tune up, i picked up 17whp by changing my cap,rotor,plugs and wires...get it on a dyno that will help you big time. My top end was very choppy because of a weak spark (tune up needed)
Old 03-29-2003, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your compression....see what kind of numbers you get, that does pretty low. also, what afr are you around? do you have any idea?
Old 03-30-2003, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Boost power issue (b16ahybrid)

I know I was stupid rich on the first test after the install cos the plugs were carboned up. I have no idea what my afr is as I've had some teething problems with the install (ie., oil leaks, wastegate gasket blowing, bolts falling out etc..), so I'd just fixed them and wanna get a feel for whats its like before tuning it. I'm planning on getting a wideband but for now relying on the shitty christmas lights a/f gauge not going lean on me (I know I shouldn't but its all I got right now). My timing right now is 4deg retard at dizzy.

The afc settings are like -48 from 1k gradually down to -43 at 9krpm for both wide and narrow thr. It feels better after trimming down to these settings but still no where near where I'm expecting the power to be even untuned on the dyno. I could still be rich tho. So I'm thinking maybe a problem somewhere.

Have not done a compression test but I think it must be pretty good as when n/a the car couldn't have felt better.

Exhaust setup: I have a 2.5" downpipe with test pipe. The rest is stock and I have a HKS Hiper muffler (turbo one).

Would changing out to 3" straight through downpipe back give me some good gains?
Old 03-30-2003, 10:14 AM

You also cant rely on your *** dyno to provide you with to much info.
When i leaned mine out and did the tune up i could feel a difference it pulled smoother and a little harder i figured maybe 5hp gain and figured the power curve smoothed out to make it feel better, i wasn't expecting 30hp gain. My *** dyno let me down on that one. then again i'd rather assume a 5hp gain and really have a 30hp gain imo....Your best friend is a dyno that has a wide band to help you tune. comparing my base dyno chart to the final it's a world of a difference power from 4k rpm - redline is up anywhere from 10hp to 30 hp, and i picked up 20+ hp in the mid range ...it can also help diagnose possible problems by looking at your power curve that can tell you a lot.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:16 AM

OK. Last night I noticed that my wastegate dump has gone silent all of the sudden!! Well, not entirely silent but the FRICKIN LOUD (loud enough to deafen me!!) dump from the dumptube before has quiten down by so much I can actually hear the snail spool up for once!!

At the same time I can 'FEEL' the boost!! OH what joy! Its so much more torque available now and I'm sure the power has gone up as well. Feels like a different car now. I can feel the boost build up now. The weird thing is, this just started happening on its own. Nothing has been changed. I just parked up for a few hours, went back and this started happenin. I think the wastegate is playin games no me...

Anyone experience this before??
Old 03-31-2003, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ge tit tuned, your prob runnign too rich , i gained 30 soemthing hp right off the bat by playnig with fuel .
get real managment, it will mkae a world of difference and less time tuning .
I hate vafcs and the whole hack thing . never really seen anything posisitve fromt hem to impress me