Notices

finally boosted... not liking it too much

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally boosted... not liking it too much

so many problems, car runs pretty well at about 0-5000... past that it gets really uppedy and kinda sputtering/backfiring etc.

well here's my setup:
maxrev manifold
maxrev downpipe
t3/to4e .63 exhaust .60 compressor
tial 35mm
greddy type S
dsm 450s
safc (hack)

1st run: no boost... 100% no boost and ran like absolute crap, so we messed with the afc, took out a lot of fuel and then it ran well, still no boost.. sam (94goldjungsr) and i check it out and i descovered the tube that goes to the wastegate was melted onto the manifold (crimping it shut) which doesn't explain no boost, but explains the **** running

2nd run: boost then started running like ***... so we fixed the afc a little bit, tried to boost, no pressure... pulled over, and found the charge pipe to be blown off the TB. Fixed that... first run was in my HS parking lot (very memorable experience). mashed it in 1st and W0\/\/ blew threw my first get, kissed redline, then had to back off... did it again and examined it a bit more... boost/fuel ratio seems pretty "seemless" from 1000-5800/6000... then somewhere around there it just cuts down and feels liek it isn't boosting anymore.

what's your guys input? sorry i don't have a digi cam... i'll have pics up tomorrow afternoon

thanks everyone: Sam (94goldjungsr), Jamison, flamenco, umm... and everyone else that sold me parts and gave me their 2 cents with the instal

-ryan
Old 05-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (tegasaurus)

save your money. Get a hondata and AEM and get it tuned.

none of this safc hack mickey mouse ****.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (MachAF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MachAF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">save your money. Get a hondata and AEM and get it tuned.

none of this safc hack mickey mouse ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol... i know i know... but for now i need to get it running acceptably (sp?) any ideas?

ryan
Old 05-18-2003, 10:44 PM

id also like to thank the penny and the dime that put the coupler back onto the piping. id also like to thank the motor for giving me that rush which i have missed for so long and will soon have again. feeling those tires lose traction in first and smack the revlimiter like a man his wife was generous extacy. and last but not least both ryans parents and the local security for letting us boost the night away open downpipe waking up teh neighborhood with the roar of the b18b1.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:45 PM

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (MachAF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MachAF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">save your money. Get a hondata and AEM and get it tuned.

none of this safc hack mickey mouse ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if uberteg would stop being a ******* dip stick ****** and send me my ecu back he'd have that. i have the software, 1/2 a wideband (almost done), and an eprom burner waiting.... uberdick needs to hurry it up!
Old 05-18-2003, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (94goldjungsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94goldjungsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and the local security for letting us boost the night away open downpipe waking up teh neighborhood with the roar of the b18b1.</TD></TR></TABLE>

roffel... damn renta security tried to pull the turbo b18b teg over.... did i let it happen? you decide

-ryan
Old 05-19-2003, 03:26 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so many problems, car runs pretty well at about 0-5000... past that it gets really uppedy and kinda sputtering/backfiring etc.

well here's my setup:
maxrev manifold
maxrev downpipe
t3/to4e .63 exhaust .60 compressor
tial 35mm
greddy type S
dsm 450s
safc (hack)

1st run: no boost... 100% no boost and ran like absolute crap, so we messed with the afc, took out a lot of fuel and then it ran well, still no boost.. sam (94goldjungsr) and i check it out and i descovered the tube that goes to the wastegate was melted onto the manifold (crimping it shut) which doesn't explain no boost, but explains the **** running

2nd run: boost then started running like ***... so we fixed the afc a little bit, tried to boost, no pressure... pulled over, and found the charge pipe to be blown off the TB. Fixed that... first run was in my HS parking lot (very memorable experience). mashed it in 1st and W0\/\/ blew threw my first get, kissed redline, then had to back off... did it again and examined it a bit more... boost/fuel ratio seems pretty "seemless" from 1000-5800/6000... then somewhere around there it just cuts down and feels liek it isn't boosting anymore.

-ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt see you list a fmu or a missing link what about trying a fuel pressure reg. and maybe a upgraded fuel pump HHmmmm... for the sputtering it could be a couple things fuel or electric have you ever changed your fuel filter. they are cheap and also what about your plug wires and your plugs are they good have a look at thoose.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:55 AM

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (BoostedsiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedsiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I didnt see you list a fmu or a missing link what about trying a fuel pressure reg. and maybe a upgraded fuel pump HHmmmm... for the sputtering it could be a couple things fuel or electric have you ever changed your fuel filter. they are cheap and also what about your plug wires and your plugs are they good have a look at thoose.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-19-2003, 08:11 AM

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (94goldjungsr)

you dont need a missing link or fmu with the hack. but you do need a bigger fuel pump, that poping sound is most likely you running lean. you should have your fuel trimmed about 35-38 %. do a search for the hack and you can get more information about it. dont let it discourage you, it is never smooth in the bigining there is alot of bugs to work out. Ive been boosting for a year and my setup is still not right.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:12 AM

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (hooked_up_gsr)

oh yea only lean it out like that with the bigger pump in
Old 05-19-2003, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (hooked_up_gsr)

yea... first i thought it was way too lean, so i brought it down to -33% from 4500 and past... that just made it way worse, so i started increasing it and got to about -40% at 4500... 5500 is at -36%, 6500 is at -36%, 7500 is at -35%

im thinking if just running it -40% all the way accross... maybe -44/5/6 from 0-3k or would that be suicide? the car use to stall sometimes or go WAY down to about 100rpm at idle when it was at -39 or 40, then i bumped it up to about 46 and idles like stock... hrm

-ryan
Old 05-19-2003, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ps... i've been running without radiator fans and the car runs nice and cool... flippin wierd huh? ps, i live in incredibly hot AZ as well

looks liek the flatback on the i/c didn't lower the cooling efficiency of the charge air temperature

-ryan
Old 05-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

boost=beautiful &
Old 05-20-2003, 01:36 AM

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (civcexcoupeblack)

tegasaurus/civicexcoupeblack cack
Old 05-20-2003, 02:50 AM

i set my safc settings to throttle 45%lo and 46%hi and corrections at -46 across lo and -38 across hi and it ran like a champ. the a/f gauge looked like it did stock before i put on the turbo and it didn't stall when i came to a stop. i am using a smaller turbo than you, but if on lo throttle if you are running -38 you are running too rich on the low end. i just made these changes last night and took it out and it felt great. getting it dyno tuned thursday.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (scttydb411)

thanks for the info scttydb411... i'll try the new settings out today.

-ryan
Old 05-20-2003, 08:51 AM

are you running 2 step colder plugs? I had the sputtering issue before, changed out to 2 step colder plugs and solved that problem with the vafc hack, give it a shot
Old 05-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (Cwest EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cwest EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you running 2 step colder plugs? I had the sputtering issue before, changed out to 2 step colder plugs and solved that problem with the vafc hack, give it a shot </TD></TR></TABLE>

Would you know the part #'s for 2 step and 1 step colder plugs?
Old 05-20-2003, 09:24 AM

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (SpdFrk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpdFrk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Would you know the part #'s for 2 step and 1 step colder plugs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=510127
Old 05-20-2003, 11:31 AM

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (Tony Starks)

"hack" IMO means something not done right. AKA "Mickey-moused" "MacGuyvered" etc even "A-Team"

spend money do it right.

Hondata oWnZ j00
Old 05-20-2003, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (Turbo E)

well im a little poor for hondata at this point, im just waiting for uberteg to send out the ecu to my buddy who's going to let me borrow it till money will provide me with hondata s200b

i changed the settings to what sctty said and it just made it worse... so im going back to 98% lo 99%hi and the same settings for both... -40% across... see if that helps it... then i start taking fuel out from there.

-ryan
edit: removed pics

Modified by tegasaurus at 9:58 PM 5/21/2003
Old 05-20-2003, 05:41 PM

that sucks that my settings didn't work for you. right now you are running the equivalent of 270cc at lo and high throttle. on my car stock, it goes totally rich at 50% throttle. therefore i figured on using the equivalent of 240's on lo throttle and 280's on hi throttle. since i was using different corrections at lo and hi i had to back the lo/hi throttle switch lower than 98/99. i choose 45/46 since it would be slightly lower than the stock point in which it totally goes rich to help during tip in of boost since i'm using a smaller turbo. this also keeps me from stalling when slowing/stopping for lights/traffic because of running too rich. try a modified version of what i did, or wait until you can take it to a dyno tuner that can work with the hack. good luck.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the hack is not a bad setup. i ran that way for about 3-4 months no problems. some things to check. 1 pull your plugs and make sure their gaped right and look at the color on them. 2 check your exhaust see if it smells really rich and have someone falow u and watch when u boost and hit higher rpms if its all black. also no need for an inline pump yet i was fine on dsm 450s and the vafc at 10psi. also do u have an a/f gauge, might help alittle if u don;t. also try and find a w/b that will solve all your problems.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not everyone can afford hondata or aem. Get that straight. There's always gotta be someone that says hondata this, aem that. I'm sure he knows its good.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:25 PM

Default Re: finally boosted... not liking it too much (BoostedSi)

if you can't afford a hondata, at least let a performance shop set your afc for you using a wide-band, so you can at least start enjoying your car. But honestly do whatever it takes and get something else, or at least a blue box, thats what im using now till i can afford hondata and it works perfect for me, im happy!

Quick Reply: finally boosted... not liking it too much