Notices

Boost leak from behind timing cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost leak from behind timing cover?

95ish B18C GSR.
Garrett Turbo with Inline Pro turbo setup.
Car drives fine just doesn't boost over about 4-5 lbs max.
Ran a boost leak check and have air pushing from behind the timing cover. I didn't have time to pull the cover and see. What are the possibilities?

Method used:
I used the PVC cap with compressor fitting in place of the turbo outlet, barely opened the air passage on the compressor (2-3lbs or so on the gauge) and found leaks at the couplers near the turbo and the Throttle body coupler. I fixed those and moved onto the next I heard above the throttle body which was the metal port below the map sensor I had capped but was missing. After plugging that I heard air from the Driver's side and felt the air stream from the timing cover (Outer cover). I can't even think of what would leak from back there at such a small amount of boost. Gauge on both the compressor and the cars gauge still only reads 4lbs-5lbs. The only thing i can think of how intake air would get out from the side would be head gasket from the farthest cylinder.... but if that was the case and 5lbs makes it leak like that I would think it wouldn't drive fine like it does.
I'm 99% sure its not air just being blown up the outside of the case to feel like its from the cover. The heaviest points I feel the air are just in front of the mount where the top cover meets the bottom and the front corner of the same seam. It doesn't seem to feel like its pushing from behind the mount.
Thanks.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Boost leak from behind timing cover?

yeah that's really strange, and does sound like the hg.
only other thing I can think of is maybe the intake manifold gasket is leaking, and the air stream is somehow finding its way into the timing cover?
Old 07-20-2017, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

use soapy water and find the exact location before doing anything drastic

possible leaking from exhaust manifold (exhaust leak) or boost solenoid?
Old 07-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill hopefully be able to look more into it this weekend. Im very limited on the amount of time I have on this. Anything taking under half hour or less I could do on the spot but this is going to need some time set aside I think. Thanks for the responses and if any other ideas feel free to keep them coming.