Notices

Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors..

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 09:06 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors..

fuel setup as follows.. and the problem

history... code 14 and tps sensor code, art sends replacements... done.

injectors and 8-1 fmu disk
fields set to -30% on 1-3000 rpm levels

car runs fine it seems, stronger at 8 and 10 psi levels (cant wait for higher)..

at idle it bobs up and down (rpm gauge), idles for a bit and on occasion gives me anohter code 14.

my thinking is, more fuel than it can compensate for so the car idles down thinking that will do it.. but starts to drop below idle, then bumps it up only to see the same problem again... (due to larger injectors)

idle vacume is at -20

I'm thinking the extra fuel is causing the problem.. cna anyone confirm this?
Old 12-17-2001, 09:10 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (GSRwBOOST)

Your screwed, just turn your keys and turbo in on your way out the door. Thanks for playin. HEH
Old 12-17-2001, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (Strider Turbo)

What size injectors...what is your fuel pressure at idle?
Old 12-17-2001, 10:20 PM
New User

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (greyzone)

RC 370cc injectors, and we really don't know the fuel pressure because it is Teed from the banjo bolt on the fuel filter, and the two pumps fight each other giving a wacky reading.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:29 PM
New User

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (degradated)

If you're the least bit serious about figuring out what's going wrong, you need to relocate the FP gauge to somewhere it will do some good. If you don't mind blowing a few bucks getting a decent idle reading, do this:

go to hardware store

get hose barb tee to fit your fuel line (AFTER THE BLOODY SECOND PUMP)

get a few extra feet of fuel line

buy 0-100 psi water pressure gauge (like $3)

buy 1/4" FPT to hose barb fitting to attach water pressure gauge to fuel line

attach pressure gauge on line to tee

hose clamp everything

start car, figure out what your damn fuel pressure is

The gauge will give out after a week or so since the seals aren't made to stand up to gas, but it's only like $3-5 down the drain and you can always just take the gauge off when you're not interested in what it's doing. Fringe benefit is you can put the gauge wherever you have enough fuel line to reach - I had mine taped to the windshield so I could get a rough idea of how my FMU was working.

Old 12-17-2001, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (dbman96)

Pure and simple, dbman96 knows his ****.

[Modified by greyzone, 7:39 AM 12/18/2001]
Old 12-18-2001, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (greyzone)

Sounds good dbman
Old 12-18-2001, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (VTC_CiViC)

I dont think it is your fuel, code 14 is like the IAT or IACV. With 370s at -30% you should be good at stock fuel pressures. Of course the assumption is that it is stock fuel pressure. if you're hitting higher than that on me
Old 12-18-2001, 07:41 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (Strng1dah)

yea... i'm going to put the fuel rail on next couple days and get fuel pressure back to stock settings if it's off.. and see what happens from there..

just wanted to see if my theory is right... too much fuel causing idle problems and the subsequent code 14
Old 12-18-2001, 09:57 AM
New User

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (GSRwBOOST)

Let me throw a wrench into your thinking here guys....

The Field VTEC controller will only adjust fuel at WOT, not idle.

He's still hitting normal fuel pressures and pulsewidth with those 370's, therefore he's got WAY too much fuel.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:31 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (SiR Kid)

if i'm sitting at idle with the stock injectors and fields.. and i turn the fields all the way rich +30% the airfuel reads rich.. if i go -30% the air/fuel goes lean... so i'd say it works at <WOT...??

solution? drop the fuel pressrue with my fuel pressure regualtor? if this is the problem
Old 12-18-2001, 10:34 AM
New User

While the ECU IS in closed-loop at idle, the field or AFC will influence the mixture still; the ECU appears to pick a "base" fuel mixture based on the MAP sensor input and then adjusts based on the O2 sensor. I can stall my car out if I zero the VAFC at idle on my 450cc injectors so I know it does something.
Old 12-18-2001, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (dbman96)

s previously mentioned the VAFC affects idle. I can see the injector pulse change on my AVCr when I adjust it with the VAFC at idle.
Old 12-18-2001, 11:27 AM
New User

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (Strng1dah)

Maybe I am confusing the Field unit with my previously owned Shogun tuner....

I know one of them was WOT only...
Old 12-18-2001, 01:32 PM
New User

The gauge will give out after a week or so since the seals aren't made to stand up to gas, but it's only like $3-5 down the drain and you can always just take the gauge off when you're not interested in what it's doing. Fringe benefit is you can put the gauge wherever you have enough fuel line to reach - I had mine taped to the windshield so I could get a rough idea of how my FMU was working.
The King of ghetto engineering!
Old 12-18-2001, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (Xerxes)

Okay let me brake this down for u.
First check your fuel pressure with the hose off. Set it to around 40 psi base pressure with the vacum off. Then lean out on fields. If u want send me an e-mail and I will send u some of my base settings for a gsr with those type injectors.
If u dont' set your fuel pressure correctly u will damage the diaphram inside your regulator and flood your motor with fuel. This is the main reason why your car is acting this way. Get the fuel pressure taken care off, then lean it out with the fields.
My e-mail is evildohc@aol.com
EVIL
Old 12-18-2001, 08:32 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Boost Godfathers... Fuel idle question for those who run larger injectors.. (Evil GS-R)

Evil...

i turned the fpr out a few turns. witht he car on.. and listend to the drop in noise/idle.. then after it was at a lower idle.. i played with the fields so the car idled better.. and now when i rev it goes to 900-1000 goes up a little then back down to idle with little or no more movement... i'll knwo more when i drive to work... but that might do it.. <<<<-------------- crosses fingers