Notices

boost gauge.. what does the negative numbesr below 0 psi mean? whats safe to cruise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost gauge.. what does the negative numbesr below 0 psi mean? whats safe to cruise?

i got a boost gauge, it reads -30 / -25 / etc etc to 0 then to 10 / 20 etc..

its a vac and boost gauge mechanical hooked up to one of my lines on the TB..

wondering what # should i be cruising in to be "stayin outta boost" ppl say as long as its below "0" then ur outta boost, but how come i hear slight blow off or etc when im under 0 .. and this is when i am light on thorrtle too.. should be cruising in -15 -10 good to stay outta boost? reason i ask is b/c i daily my car 50+ miles and tryin to get as much life of motor as i can by babyin it.. Turbo LS

basically i already searched but would like to know exactly what it means to be in the - 20 at idle -10 at cruising etc means.. and if i were NA what would it read while i was driving 0PSI ?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boost gauge.. what does the negative numbesr below 0 psi mean? whats safe to cruise? (JDM As It

Healthy motor usually is 16 - 20 hg in. of vaccuum.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Re: boost gauge.. what does the negative numbesr below 0 psi mean? whats safe to cruise? (JDM As It

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridKOOP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Healthy motor usually is 16 - 20 hg in. of vaccuum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ic dang -16?? wow i guess my motor is healthy.. around 19-21.. but any more info bout negative stuff?? ie when cruising what is good hg in of vacum should be to be "out of boost" -10?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the # varies since its partial throttle
Old 12-13-2006, 01:06 PM

tighten ur blow off valve.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LoseRPunKx182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the # varies since its partial throttle</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is showing your throttle position, exactly...

normally unless im boosting, on a flat surface, im around 15... but it totally depends on how u have your foot....

cruise control on the highway im usually around 10-20... depending on hills..

anything below zero is out of boost...
the vacuum is causin you to hear the BOV... its prolly a light spring in it, or like he said, its loose
Old 12-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My motor pulls 22 inches at idle.

If you look at your fuel maps you can see the effect of vacuum on your fuel consumption. Basically, the higher vacuum you drive at, the better your mileage will be... basically.

Oh, and if you are NA, it would read the same on the inches of mercury side, but it would only go up to the zero PSI mark at WOT.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My motor pulls 22 inches at idle.

If you look at your fuel maps you can see the effect of vacuum on your fuel consumption. Basically, the higher vacuum you drive at, the better your mileage will be... basically.

Oh, and if you are NA, it would read the same on the inches of mercury side, but it would only go up to the zero PSI mark at WOT. </TD></TR></TABLE>

oic. wait so ur first part of response means IF ur driving at a HIGHER Vac IE -15 u will get better gas mileage compared to driving at Vac @ -10 correct? no wonder i am getting almost 500KM per full tank

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Topdawgg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that is showing your throttle position, exactly...

normally unless im boosting, on a flat surface, im around 15... but it totally depends on how u have your foot....

cruise control on the highway im usually around 10-20... depending on hills..

anything below zero is out of boost...
the vacuum is causin you to hear the BOV... its prolly a light spring in it, or like he said, its loose</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i have a HKS SSQ and its on light b/c im only 6 PSI. so i guess ive been driving around for past months outta boost only see'in WOT about 4-5 times

thanks for information
Old 12-13-2006, 06:11 PM

So during the entire time your car was boosted, you only drove at WOT 4-5 times? Man, I'm going to be boosting my LS integra soon and I don't think 4-5 times will be enough for me in a week. lol. I'm planning to boost around 7lbs.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by element96797 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So during the entire time your car was boosted, you only drove at WOT 4-5 times? Man, I'm going to be boosting my LS integra soon and I don't think 4-5 times will be enough for me in a week. lol. I'm planning to boost around 7lbs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i baby my car too much cause i drive it like 50+ miles a day. i want it to LAAASSTT
Old 12-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM As It Gets &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oic. wait so ur first part of response means IF ur driving at a HIGHER Vac IE -15 u will get better gas mileage compared to driving at Vac @ -10 correct? no wonder i am getting almost 500KM per full tank
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Basically yeah. If you watch your boost gauge while you are driving you can see that the vacuum goes down as you push on the throttle.

So less throttle = higher vacuum = better milegage.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you hit zero you go back in time to November 1955..........
Old 12-14-2006, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM As It Gets &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah i baby my car too much cause i drive it like 50+ miles a day. i want it to LAAASSTT </TD></TR></TABLE>

wheres the fun in that....

i beat mine EVERY DAY last year.... and didnt break a damn thing..... with good tuning, and good parts, you shouldnt have to worry...
Old 12-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by element96797 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So during the entire time your car was boosted, you only drove at WOT 4-5 times? Man, I'm going to be boosting my LS integra soon and I don't think 4-5 times will be enough for me in a week. lol. I'm planning to boost around 7lbs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can guarantee 4 to 5 times a DAY will not be enough. I've been boosting for about 2 months now...this **** is addictive!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Re: (1158)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Topdawgg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wheres the fun in that....

i beat mine EVERY DAY last year.... and didnt break a damn thing..... with good tuning, and good parts, you shouldnt have to worry...</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1158 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can guarantee 4 to 5 times a DAY will not be enough. I've been boosting for about 2 months now...this **** is addictive!</TD></TR></TABLE>

dang ic. making me tempted to do it more now hahah bad influcne bad!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IF you hit zero you go back in time to November 1955.......... </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahah that made me laugh for a sec