Notices

boost is creeping

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default boost is creeping

I have a 94 integra ls with a garret t3/t4 turbo. I've had the turbo on since mid-summer and is set for 9 psi. Im now noticing that the higher I go in the RPM's the boost climbs past 9psi and climbs up to about 12psi at redline. This may have been the case since i first got the car back from the shop, but my friend pointed this out to me a couple of weeks ago when i was doing a long pull on a country road.

I have come up with two possibilities for the cause of this problem. One is that somehow the wastegate is not working properly. I have a hunch that the wastegate that was installed on my car was actually a used piece instead of a brand new one. With the way this shop does buisiness, this would not surprise me. The other idea is that i am running the wastegate to an external dump, not back into the downpipe. Could the external dump be effecting the boost levels at all. My next step is to see if the shop i had do the work has a brand new wastegate that i could throw on the car quick and see if it cures the problem. Other than those two theories, I'm out of ideas as of now.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: boost is creeping (integratuner94)

if you dont mind me asking... where is this shop located? by the way, instant message doesnt work for me . fyi, my hks wastegate w/10 psi spring and hallman manual boost controller will spike from 15 psi (where boost controller is set) to about 17psi closer to redline if it is colder outside. In the warm weather it seams to hold much better.

since you are in the general area (nw ohio) it would be fun to run 'em sometime just for some boosted honda fun...
Old 10-29-2004, 07:07 PM

usually external dumps help out boost creep.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

markaria, we should get together and run them sometime. I'm not gonna keep up with a built c5 but i still enjoy a race. The shop is in toledo, i dont really know if i want to say the shop name on here, because i dont want to start any ****. I dont have a problem with the shop or anything, just dont want to start any un-needed drama....I have noticed this boost creeping just since we have had the temp change from summer into the fall season. should i maybe just put a lower psi spring in and be done with it for now?
Old 10-31-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you come to toledo often? It seems that the only person I have any real fun with is a buddy of mine with a lightly modded 951 (944 turbo).
Old 11-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im usually up there maybe once every other week. do you have AOL instant messanger? if u do my SN is seguitarist
Old 11-03-2004, 03:40 PM

what t3/t4 is it, and what kind of wastegate is it? maybe your gate isnt big enough for the boost youre running. maybe you just need to clean it or you might have a leak in the vacuum line that goes to the wg.