Notices

Boost control/creep problems...need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost control/creep problems...need suggestions

Im starting to have problems with my setup.

Drag manifold, tial 38mm gate "big blue" spring. Without a dumptube off the gate it would build around 9.3psi max. I got a 1.5 mandrel bend dumptube installed, and the car shot right up to high 15lbs. I figured this should be normal as its running off the gate, no MBC or EBC. I changed the spring to a "big red" and the car boosts the same amount. No change whatso-ever. It builds 9 or so in first, 12 in second,creeps up to 15lbs or so only in 3rd gear. I understand and granted, its about 15-20 Degree's outside.

The side port on the gate is right to the turbo nipple, I also moved it right to the vaccum log on the fire wall with no change. The Boost gauge reads off the vaccum log also.

Any ideas what can be wrong? the Diaphram does not appear to be torn or anything of that sort. Any way I can check this?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost control/creep problems...need suggestions

Are you sure that before you installed the dumptube that the wastegate exhaust wasnt getting recirculated back into the compressor housing?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats the problem I was having before the dump tube. I had the dump tube custom made by FS moto.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think what miller is saying the car may have been way down on power, and now since it isnt inhaling spent exh it has woken up. big blue = 14.5 big red = 11.6 that coupled with the questionable placement of the gate only on 1 port, i think that would be par for the course.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I figured the problem out guys... I went to swap in an older style TIAL 38 from a friend, and when I removed my gate, I seen a carbon track showing that the car was leaking from the manifold/gate during boost. The bolts were tight and everything, and the fire-ring was still in place. So I ended up re-surfacing the gate and manifold with a little bit of high temp silicone. And the problem dissapeared.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and before I even get to drive it the next day... the problem is back.

I figured out the problem, now on how to fix it is where I need your guys help. Dont go and say "oh replace the manifold its junk and this and that", I know that already and this setup has been proven to be a hit or miss.

I changed the spring to a tial 38mm 11.80 PSI big red spring. I still continued to get creep, not as bad mind you but still 3-4PSI in 3rd and 4th gear. I was seeing around 9-10PSI in first gear, 10-11 PSI in 2nd, and I would see around 12-14.7 PSI in 3rd and sometimes maybe 15.0 PSI as shown in the greddy PRofec B PEAK display.

I decided to read back to other problems with drag3 Manifolds and I decided to take the wastegate off completely, and block off the open vaccum ports. I took it for a test drive, and what do you know, the car builds 5PSI WITH NO WASTEGATE!!!

Ive read that porting the opening which is said to be 36mm to an actual 38mm will help, or would porting the manifold to 44mm and welding a 44mm flange and swapping to a 44mm gate help? Or should I honestly just get a tubular log manifold or something of that sort and then have to get a new dumptube/downpipe made?