Notices

blown turbo seal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 10:15 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown turbo seal?

whats a result of the seal on the turbo goin out? would white smoke from my exhaust be a result of that? hmmm... still stuck on the white smoke problem. occasionally, i get white smoke from my exhaust and its pretty damn noticable.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:28 PM

Default Re: blown turbo seal? (SIK IN DA HED)

if a turbo seal went you would have oil in the charge piping. you should check there first. if you have a little thats normal. if you have alot even past the intercooler then the turbo seal is shot.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:04 PM

if your seals are gone your going to see blue smoke, not white.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:07 PM

Default Re: blown turbo seal? (CzanSOHC)

but it can be easy to mistake blue smoke for white smoke and vice versa, usually "blue" smoke lingers a lot more than white smoke will. take a close look at the smoke under daylight, and give it a whiff... good luck :\
Old 04-23-2003, 11:14 PM

Default Re: blown turbo seal? (lazerus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazerus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but it can be easy to mistake blue smoke for white smoke and vice versa, usually "blue" smoke lingers a lot more than white smoke will. take a close look at the smoke under daylight, and give it a whiff... good luck :\</TD></TR></TABLE>

good point...my seals where leaking becuase my return line had a bend in it, i had crazy blue smoke!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what if you're color blind..
Old 04-24-2003, 02:14 AM

Default Re: blown turbo seal? (accordfreak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordfreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what if you're color blind..</TD></TR></TABLE>

good question
Old 04-24-2003, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blown turbo seal?

could a blown turbo seal cause smoke even when you're just in idle? or does it only smoke during driving?

i'm asking coz last night i got to really boost the car after the turbo was installed 3 days ago. i was boosting on a short stretched of road up to my driveway when i pulled over i could see smoke coming from the underneath the front and side of the car like something has caught on fire.

i let the car idle for a few minutes and the smoke stopped. this morning i don't see anymore smoke.

could it be blown seal? any ideas?
Old 04-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CzanSOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

good point...my seals where leaking becuase my return line had a bend in it, i had crazy blue smoke!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Question when you fixed the bend in your oil return line did that fix the seal leak or did you have to then it get fixed. I have been noticing that my car has been smoking more and more spy hunter style when I get off the throtle at around 3000 RPMS.
My oil return line has a kink in it also. Just wondering if this will fix the problem or if I should budget for a new seals.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: blown turbo seal? (underpressure02)

That will definitely help out... When I started smoking I looked over everything, found a kink in the oil return line... If the return line isn't free flowing (the size of the line can do this too) the pressure will build up forcing it through the seals... At the same time, if your turbo was brand new and you were having this problem the seals may never have set properly. I'd say fix the kink, if it still smokes your turbo may be getting too much oil flow and burning it off (ball bearing turbos have this problem)... If you put a restrictor in the oil inlet and it STILL smokes, your seals might be bad or it might be blow by from a blown head gasket or cracked/worn piston rings... I would suggest doing a compression test at that point, just to be sure... If that passes, then it's more than likely the turbo seals... and that's my $.02
Old 04-24-2003, 09:44 AM

Default Re: blown turbo seal? (_Endless_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _Endless_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could a blown turbo seal cause smoke even when you're just in idle? or does it only smoke during driving?
i'm asking coz last night i got to really boost the car after the turbo was installed 3 days ago. i was boosting on a short stretched of road up to my driveway when i pulled over i could see smoke coming from the underneath the front and side of the car like something has caught on fire.
i let the car idle for a few minutes and the smoke stopped. this morning i don't see anymore smoke.
could it be blown seal? any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>
it depends on how bad your seals are, if smoking @ idle and driving your seals are probably pretty bad, if only under hard driving they are bad but not as urgently in need of a rebuild
Old 04-24-2003, 09:58 AM
New User

for me...

i get white smoke (at least, thats what i think it is) during lower rpm driving and idling. sometimes, when i drive on the freeway and i let off the gas and come to a slow stop... i see smoke rising up from my exhaust. sometimes, it blows by the side and front of my car. the thing is... during higher speed driving, i dont see the smoke... because obviously, im driving fast enough to leave the smoke behind... rendering it difficult for me to even see if there is even any remote sign of light smoke. however, at times... i dont have any white smoke at all.

fact is... i did a compression test and the results were similar to my last compression test. i dont see any signs of milky mixtures of coolant or oil. however, my coolant level is lower than normal. not drastically the case where i would be thinkin that i had a coolant leak or anything.

i was thinkin it was a blown headgasket or maybe my rings were shot. but i dont have any funky idling. i cant still boost hard... but im too scared to do it as much now that my car has developd the "mysterious white smoke" problem.

im tryin not to scare myself that it might be internal... so im lookin towards the turbo seal or kinked oil return line.

whay do you think?

thanks for the responses so far.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:21 PM
New User

still waiting. its my day off... im bored. i need to work on my car!
Old 04-25-2003, 06:19 AM
New User