Notices

big big question:is the measured AFR corect if i use dump pipe to the air?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big big question:is the measured AFR corect if i use dump pipe to the air?

as the topic title says,i would know that the measured afr is correct or no if the exhaust gas goes to the air from my wg

thank you for help
Old 01-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: big big question:is the measured AFR corect if i use dump pipe to the air? (ivt-t)

why would and open wastegate have an affect on the A/F ratio of the gases going through the exhuast? im not really getting what ur asking. Also what type and year is ur car?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: big big question:is the measured AFR corect if i use dump pipe to the air? (95dc2teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95dc2teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would and open wastegate have an affect on the A/F ratio of the gases going through the exhuast? im not really getting what ur asking. Also what type and year is ur car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's asking this because almost everyone here has their O2 sensor port installed at the downpipe. Wastegate dump would divert some of the exhaust out of the dump tube and skips the O2...

Old 01-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: big big question:is the measured AFR corect if i use dump pipe to the air? (ivt-t)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ivt-t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as the topic title says,i would know that the measured afr is correct or no if the exhaust gas goes to the air from my wg

thank you for help</TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends on where your wastegate is located and what type of manifold you are running. As long as the wastegate is pretty centralized with all four runners (ie: like FullRace, most tubular manifolds), the sample of exhaust gases passing the O2 sensor at the downpipe should remain really close to the actual AFR's coming out from the engine. If you have a wastegate located at one runner like the Drag log manifolds, the dumptube could exclude most of the exhaust coming out from that cylinder runner. If for whatever reason that particular cylinder runs leaner than the rest, then your wideband O2 would not be able to include the average of that particular cylinder.