Notices

better numbers with or without vtec?

Old 02-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default better numbers with or without vtec?

Ok im trying to decide on the right route to do a rebuild on my currently turboed ls hatch. The car only sees the track, but i dont have high goals as of yet.

my question is "Does the engine have better potential if i go ls/vtec?" or do i just need to stay non vtec.

i have searched and so far i see that boostheads just dont 'need' vtec, but if it will give me a better selection of parts and make more power (a considerable amount) id want to go ahead and go that route. but i also hear that lsvtec is less reliable or is that different considering what parts i choose

like what rods/pistons would i need so i can rev to 7000ish safely?
Im not going for all motor so would a gsr head be fine so i can rev higher and still have vtec?

Modified by memorybox at 9:20 AM 2/12/2007

Modified by memorybox at 9:21 AM 2/12/2007
Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 AM

LS/VTEC is not necessarily less reliable, there are plenty of this type of setup that have been running reliably for a good amount of miles and continue to be reliable. Just as with anything else though, your setup is only as good as your builder.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: (6)

go s/vtec turbo. my freind use to hit 13's in his crx and when he put the vtec with some more tuning he hit 12.2 at CMI here in sac.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (26street510)

ive seen vtec add 110whp on a turbo set up before.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (zeimbo)

VTEC is obviously a legitemate technology, so without question it's going to make more power. Everything has it's limitations, and if you stay within the realm of those limitations you'll be fine.

Rev's to 7600-7800 are liveable for an LS/vtec. For added insurance, throw in ARP rod bolts then rebore and/or rehone the rods big end. When revving the LS/vtecs the rod bolts tend to be the first limiting factor.

Keep the rev's reasonable and ensure it's tuned with a factor of safety in mind and you'll be good.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RC000E)

well the next question i would guess is wether or not i should use a 1.6 head or a 1.8 head.

is the only difference in the compression?

and whichever head i go with, would i need the pistons/rods from that motor? or am i safe with forged LS internals
Old 02-12-2007, 12:38 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (memorybox)

read this: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1676914
Old 02-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (doood)

thanks i appreciate that
Old 02-12-2007, 01:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (memorybox)

b16 (1.6) stock flows better than a stock gsr (b18c - 1.8) head. and it depends, some people say that gsr head gives higher compression, some people say that b16 gives higher compression.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:27 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b16 (1.6) stock flows better than a stock gsr (b18c - 1.8) head. and it depends, some people say that gsr head gives higher compression, some people say that b16 gives higher compression.</TD></TR></TABLE>

they flow nearly identical numbers according to this:

b16/itr head = 42.7cc chambers
gsr head = 41.6cc chambers

so the smaller combustion chamber will give a higher compression ratio
Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (doood)

Old 02-12-2007, 03:36 PM
* B A N N E D *

gO LS VTEC. I HAVE LS VTEC TURBO AND IT PULLS HARD WITH HONDATA. MAKE SURE YOU GET IT TUNED TO RUN RELIABLY . I REV UP TO 8500RPM
Old 02-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PnoyLSV-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PnoyLSV-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gO LS VTEC. I HAVE LS VTEC TURBO AND IT PULLS HARD WITH HONDATA. MAKE SURE YOU GET IT TUNED TO RUN RELIABLY . I REV UP TO 8500RPM</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, u don't have to shout.......u must b gettin' all HYPHY or somethin.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: better numbers with or without vtec? (memorybox)

is this all with LS internals (forged or stock) or will i need different style pistons/rods?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive seen vtec add 110whp on a turbo set up before. </TD></TR></TABLE>sure you have
Old 02-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonvtecallmotor)

With my N/A 2.0 LS I went 12.1 @ 111.
My 2.0 turbo setup went 11.0 on 93 octane.
2000 Civic SI with a STOCK motor LS turbo went 12.2. 93 octane
CRX with a stock motor LS turbo went 11.6 93 octane
All the turbo cars where daily drivers
Old 02-12-2007, 05:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecallmotor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sure you have</TD></TR></TABLE>

the blue graph is without vtec engaging and the red is with vtec hitting at 6k.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecallmotor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With my N/A 2.0 LS I went 12.1 @ 111.
My 2.0 turbo setup went 11.0 on 93 octane.
2000 Civic SI with a STOCK motor LS turbo went 12.2. 93 octane
CRX with a stock motor LS turbo went 11.6 93 octane
All the turbo cars where daily drivers</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just to be clear here, your point in posting this is that these non-vtec examples above would not benefit from a vtec head in any way? Dual cam profiles are no longer valid as a technology based on the fact you have and know of non-vtecs that run 11's or 12's?

Noone here said non vtecs aren't entirely capable of making power, but a vtec head is superior in design to it's non vtec counterparts, especially in stock form. VE is dictated largely by head design, and there simply is no question a vtec head does it better.

If you get into the realms of race sized ports, oversized valves, and huge lift cams the playing field has the potential to be even'd up of course. As far as a street driven car goes though, the advantage the vtec head has isn't simply peak power, its out of boost torque potential, turbo spool rpm, and overall flow potential in typical street form.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the blue graph is without vtec engaging and the red is with vtec hitting at 6k.
</TD></TR></TABLE>Thats a pretty stupid post. Thats a VTEC with no VTEC. Not a non vtec V/S vtec.

It would be like me saying I pick up 400whp with adding just a cam, but it didnt run before the cam
Old 02-13-2007, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just to be clear here, your point in posting this is that these non-vtec examples above would not benefit from a vtec head in any way? Dual cam profiles are no longer valid as a technology based on the fact you have and know of non-vtecs that run 11's or 12's?

Noone here said non vtecs aren't entirely capable of making power, but a vtec head is superior in design to it's non vtec counterparts, especially in stock form. VE is dictated largely by head design, and there simply is no question a vtec head does it better.

If you get into the realms of race sized ports, oversized valves, and huge lift cams the playing field has the potential to be even'd up of course. As far as a street driven car goes though, the advantage the vtec head has isn't simply peak power, its out of boost torque potential, turbo spool rpm, and overall flow potential in typical street form.</TD></TR></TABLE>Hey tard I was showing the FACT that you can go fast without the use of a vtec head. I want go into the debate about vtec VS non vtec.

PS let me know when you go faster then any of the cars that I posted above.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:24 AM
official honda whore

its a plain and simple fact that vtec heads flow better, make more power on lower boost, and are able to rev higher with proper valvetrain

ive had a built boosted ls and if i had to do it again i would have sank all the money i had into the built ls head i would have just gone ls vtec with a stock vtec head and owned my crower turbo cam with stock gsr/b16 vtec cams

go ls/vtec, and if you stay stock bottom end dont rev above 8grand and you will be fine....
Old 02-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coptzer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coptzer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a plain and simple fact that vtec heads flow better, make more power on lower boost, and are able to rev higher with proper valvetrain

ive had a built boosted ls and if i had to do it again i would have sank all the money i had into the built ls head i would have just gone ls vtec with a stock vtec head and owned my crower turbo cam with stock gsr/b16 vtec cams

go ls/vtec, and if you stay stock bottom end dont rev above 8grand and you will be fine....</TD></TR></TABLE>I reved to 9500rpm+ on stock rods and rod bolts. I also revved my LS heads to 9500rpm+. I've never had a issue with ether.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

most of a motors power comes from the head. so obviously a better flowing head would produce even more power. people are going to stick up for what they have. i am laying the facts down here. if this were not the case then why did honda make vtec in the first place?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:26 PM
95GSRTT

Stop getting all butt hurt that your nonvtec motor blows. You sound like a whiney bitch when you come in here trying to act like vtec doesnt matter at all. No one ever said you can't make power with a nonvtec head, it does not change the facts or the physics that state a better flowing head would make more power.

Oh and I said that first part just to **** you off
Old 02-13-2007, 02:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (95GSRTT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stop getting all butt hurt that your nonvtec motor blows. You sound like a whiney bitch when you come in here trying to act like vtec doesnt matter at all. No one ever said you can't make power with a nonvtec head, it does not change the facts or the physics that state a better flowing head would make more power.

Oh and I said that first part just to **** you off</TD></TR></TABLE>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: better numbers with or without vtec?