Notices

bad shop experience (FI related question at the bottom)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad shop experience (FI related question at the bottom)

is it wrong for me to be pissed? i was involved in an accident and took my car to the shop to get it repaired. they had my car for the better part of 2 weeks. during the 2 weeks they say that they have to "custom cut" my bumper to get my intercooler to fit and that it would be an extra 200 dollors for them to "customize" it. i said ef that and told them to take off the intercooler and that i would cut the bumper up my self.(turned out i only had to cut about 3 inches of plastic off). well anyways i go to pick up my car today and notice that none of the lines on the front match up, which they claim is due to the fact that my intercooler pipes are in the way. in addition to that i notice that my windshield is cracked and a chunk of my new carbon fiber hood is missing. i called them out on these problems and they and they gave me this act like they were suprised and wished i had driven off without noticing. they said they would replace them as soon as possible but it kind of erks me that they didnt say anything until i brought it up.

haha well thats the story behind it but here is the forced induction part

well i had to drive the car home(about 3 miles at 40 mph) without the intercooler on and it was making this loud tapping noise everytime i got on the throttle. i thought it was just because i didnt have the intercooler on but when i got home and actually did put the intercooler on, it was still making the same noise. it like a clicking noise(like when you put a card in bike spokes) but it only happens when im on the throttle. as soon as i step off it stops immediatly. it seems like it makes it when ever the turbo should be spooling. is something wrong with the turbo?is there anything that i could be checking? i called the shop but they said they cant say forsure until they look at it tomarrow. the car was running perfect before i took it to the shop. i dont know... seems like i have more problems now before i took it in to get fixed

oh yea by the way the engine is a b16 with a t25 turbo
Old 07-19-2006, 07:32 PM

Default Re: bad shop experience (nathanie1)

You probably just nuked your turbo.
By taking off the intercooler and getting on your car your turbo was spinning extremely fast.
It wasn't making any pressure because instead of being piped all the way to the throttle body it vented to the atmosphere.
Good Job!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: bad shop experience (dcturbols)

yup. you overspun the turbo and royally fucked the bearings. check for shaft play. i bet theres tons and the wheels are hittings the housings
Old 07-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bad shop experience (wantboost)

man today is not my day...
Old 07-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bad shop experience (nathanie1)

If the car was fine before you dropped it off... and the sound was there when you first got into the car... I'd bet they beat on it while they had it and fucked something up. If the sound developed over the duration of your drive home... I'll bet its your fault.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope its not a rod bearing.. is the sound coming from the turbo, or the block?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mykizism)

it definently wasnt a progressive noise, it was there from when i started the car. and its from the turbo, as long as i stay out of boost the car sounds completley normal. i took it back to the shop and they said that the gasket between the manifold and the turbo unit was loose. could that actually be the problem or are they just blowing smoke up my ***?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nathanie1)

I dont know about you guys but i personally have drove with my intercooler pipe blown off for atleast 300 combine miles and my turbo is solid, no shaftor in/out play
Old 07-20-2006, 09:45 AM

Default Re: (StolenTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StolenTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know about you guys but i personally have drove with my intercooler pipe blown off for atleast 300 combine miles and my turbo is solid, no shaftor in/out play</TD></TR></TABLE>

I haven't driven for that distance but I've driven for about 15mi at about 65mph with the intercooler piping not connected and didn't have a problem.

Let's say that it's the turbo. You're gonna have to take it off anyways. Just bolt your regular exhaust back up and see if it still makes the noise, then you'll know if it's the turbo or not. I would think that unless you really got on it on the way home from the shop, someone at the shop screwed it up. Especially since the noise started happening as soon as you got going.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jared99)

i thought about doing that actually, but the problem is i sold my stock exhaust manifold and stuff when i put my turbo on

Modified by nathanie1 at 12:19 PM 7/20/2006
Old 07-20-2006, 10:20 AM

crap! I have an extra LS exhaust sitting in my garage, but I'm in tx.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha, just a lil bit out of the way
Old 07-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (moops vs moors)

haha i kinda like the t25
Old 07-21-2006, 07:18 AM

spool-up would probably be pretty quick...
Old 07-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea pretty much full boost before 3k