Notices

Back From The Dyno!~ Got a few problems--Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 01:18 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back From The Dyno!~ Got a few problems--Please Help!!

I went up to Toronto to tune my Fmax/Hondata setup and everything looked great at first but ran into some problems. Mark (DirtyLude) came by but left before the problems started.

1. started off with baseline ROM chip and hit 175HP at redline of 8000RPM--everything way too rich. After several runs and some tuning, got up to around 210HP at 6psi.

2. Heard a loud psssst and thought a hose blew but couldn't find anything wrong. After that, we had some oil burning.

The most oil seemed to burn when coming off a hard throttle out the exhaust and out the STUPID slipjoint from the wastegate/downpipe. At idle there still seems to be oil burning--some smoke and smell consistent with it.

took off the intake pipe at the throttle body and it is bone dry and clean. There is no smoke coming out the valve cover breather either.l We thought maybe it is from a leaky turbo seal?? Any ideas?? brand new Turbonetics. Either that or valve guides?? Any way to tell easily??

3. Pushed to 8psi and had problems with what looked like Boost Controller Oscillation. Sine wave looking power curve at max RPM. Running the Blitz SBCid. I wonder if it has to do with either gain setting or having the input hose coming off the compressor rather than the intake pipe. Any ideas here??

I don't have a scanner right now to post the plots. We stopped there, without touching the cam gears, so as not to **** anything up further. I go back to PA ok and car certainly runs great but I'm really bumming out about the oil burning. Didn't seem to lose much on the way home (1 tank of gas--got about 27MPG) but the exhaust pipe has black residue in it.

Car has 70K miles and has been babied. Compression before I left was like new (190-200 on all cylinders).

tf
Old 11-11-2001, 01:22 PM
New User

Default Re: Back From The Dyno!~ Got a few problems--Please Help!! (GruvyTune)

By the way,
been running Mobile1 5W30 since I owned the car and it never burned a drop of oil until now.
Old 11-11-2001, 01:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how is your pcv system hooked up? w/ a breather or the tube to the filter?
Old 11-11-2001, 01:53 PM
New User

Default Re: Back From The Dyno!~ Got a few problems--Please Help!! (00SilverLS)

tube from the valve cover breather to the air filter with a small fuel filter inline as was suggested.

Just to mention: The VTEC crossover point was much better switched from the stock 4800 to 5800. took out that huge dip in power. Also, the Magnecor 8.5 wires seem to be another problem. We were losing power. lowering the gap to .28 from .32 helped (running BKR7E).

[Modified by GruvyTune, 5:58 PM 11/11/2001]
Old 11-11-2001, 03:43 PM
New User

any other ideas on my oil burning??

Its so cold here now I can't imagine going outside and trying to dismantle everything to figure out what's going on. I have no high performance places that I know of around here to help me solve the problem. Is there any way of determining whether its the turbo seal or rings/valves without taking the turbo out?
Old 11-11-2001, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh man. I wish I could have stayed. I was already in trouble enough with the Wife. It was great meeting you and your Fiancee.

It's too bad about your oil burning problems. If you disconnect the IC pipe coming off the compressor, you can check it for oil residue. Or disconnect the lowest connection to see if you get any oil dripping out. A little residue is fine.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:56 PM
New User

rings. do a compression test and a leakdown test.
Old 11-12-2001, 03:18 AM
New User

Default Re: Back From The Dyno!~ Got a few problems--Please Help!! (DirtyLude)

i'm wondering also about my oil return. I have it draining near the top of the pan. How high up does the oil normally sit?? I disconnected the tube once to put the insulator around the hose and there was some oil in it. I am only assuming it is draining ok.

We also found a loose bolt (a honda 10mm) under the car during the dyno and could not see where it came from . assumming a bracket somewhere. I am bumming. I'm finally gonna have to give in and take it to a shop to have it looked at since its way too cold now to work outside.

tf

oh, my girlfriend was most patient, we all got headaches from the fumes/oil burning.