Notices

B20/VTEC vacuum lines question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20/VTEC vacuum lines question...

Sorry to trouble you with a noob question but I'm a little confused about running my vacuum lines. Here's how it is now:

Ques 1: Can I run one line from the WG to the BOV to the manifold?

Ques 2: Should I tee the evap (fuel side) into the turbo inlet?

Ques 3:Should I re-do the PCV connection? It's a GM piece now (in-line style)

Ques 4: should I drill and tap the man for each?

Thanks!
Sean
Old 01-23-2003, 10:25 PM

Default Re: B20/VTEC vacuum lines question... (hybridsol)

Selfish bump
Old 01-23-2003, 10:38 PM

Default Re: B20/VTEC vacuum lines question... (hybridsol)

1:Nope you need to have seperate vacuum sources so there's no doubt that they'll open when they are supposed to.
2:I don't know I don't run one.
3: Your diagram there confuses me on this one. please explain how you have it set-up
4: You don't have to, but you could.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B20/VTEC vacuum lines question... (tzsir)

1:Nope you need to have seperate vacuum sources so there's no doubt that they'll open when they are supposed to.
Sorry to inform this to you Einstein, but vacuum is vacuum, geez, know the fact before you inform somebody would you....

my view of you still stands the way it is as I have told you over IM conversation before, theory is theory, practicality is another story. You claimed to be an engineer, but you're attitude doesn't reflect it at all whatsoever,
Engineering is a practice of practical theories and ideas, if it's not practical in real life, it's basically useless..

trust me, I am an engineer
stan

PS: to answer your question, you can tee the vac off of any vac sources, you can tee it off the EVAP solenoid, just tap it on the hose that goes back to the IM, not the one to the canister tank.
leave the PCV as it is.
you can tap vac sources on the IM with a 1/8"NPt to -4mm barb fittings...if you need pics, email me, I'll email you one
Old 01-23-2003, 11:11 PM

Default Re: B20/VTEC vacuum lines question... (Flamenco-T)

Umm ok if you increase the area in which the vacuum has to be created one of two things will occur:

1: You won't see the total vacuum what-so-ever, period.
2: The amount of vacuum will be diminished, or at first be slow to come up; kind of like a vacuum lag.

That's nice you seem to think that way. Practicality is what you make of it. If it takes too much work it's not practical for you I guess, but if it's the right way to do it you shrug it for the lazy-man's easy way? I'm doubting your abilities as an engineer more and more every day here Stan. If it was designed to work that way why would Saab, Porsche, VW, Nissan, Mazda, and the list goes on and on and on set-it up with all of the lines going to their own vacuum source. I think you need a refund on your education there.

In no way do I have any agnst towards anyone, but when people give bad advice about how to set something up; I'll express it.
I don't care if he runs it's that way it's not my problem when you can't find where the vacuum leak is. Have fun...

[Modified by tzsir, 2:11 AM 1/24/2003]
Old 01-23-2003, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive been on the board for quite some time, ive never seen stan give invalid advice or suggestions what so ever.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Umm ok if you increase the area in which the vacuum has to be created one of two things will occur:

1: You won't see the total vacuum what-so-ever, period.
2: The amount of vacuum will be diminished, or at first be slow to come up; kind of like a vacuum lag.

That's nice you seem to think that way. Practicality is what you make of it. If it takes too much work it's not practical for you I guess, but if it's the right way to do it you shrug it for the lazy-man's easy way? I'm doubting your abilities as an engineer more and more every day here Stan. If it was designed to work that way why would Saab, Porsche, VW, Nissan, Mazda, and the list goes on and on and on set-it up with all of the lines going to their own vacuum source. I think you need a refund on your education there.

In no way do I have any agnst towards anyone, but when people give bad advice about how to set something up; I'll express it.
I don't care if he runs it's that way it's not my problem when you can't find where the vacuum leak is. Have fun...

[Modified by tzsir, 2:11 AM 1/24/2003]
hmm, okay, but again, unless we're talking about the difference of gazillion cubic inches of area, I higly doubt teeing off multiple sources of vacuums from one lines have any effect on the response in boost...

AGAIN, THIS IS BACK TO YOU'RE TALKING THEORY BULLSHIT, AND I AM TALKING REALITY I teed of 6, yes SIX vac lines from ONE source, and not even one occasion I was experiencing a vac lag, or whatever it is you mean...

now, DO you even have turbo ? all your posts are contradicting, one post you flaming nitrous setup, another post you were glorifying the **** out of it...

geez, make up your mind on your setup, is it endyn ? on a SZ or D16 or D17 motor, ir is it H22 in an EF ? which is it, or you;re just happen to be very fortunate to have many projects unlike some of us...

sorry, my education was paid on scolarship, can't ask for refunds there....

again, to me, you're just a punk *** smart *** kid, who just happened to read a lil too much on the weekend on textbooks and never even open your damn hood before....again I may be wrong, but the way way you're informing others comes accross as someone who never even work on a car before...

as far as me ? hmm, I have met over 95 peoples here on honda tech and talk to a lot of these guys on daily basis....they know me well enough...

stan
Old 01-23-2003, 11:24 PM

Default Re: B20/VTEC vacuum lines question... (Mase)

That's nice. I didn't say it was in-valid read my post again. He's a smart man I know this, but some of the ways he does think aren't in occurdance to what I've learned. I don't have to agree with the man all the time, do I?
I'd be stupid to do that because with out the difference of opinions there wouldn't be any progress.

Stan sorry if I seem rude at times I'm having a lot of problems right now that I shouldn't let get to me yet they have. I apoligize if I don't agree with everything I read on here. I'm here to contribute my experience, knowledge, and intelligence just like you. I still don't agree with running more than one vacuum lines together unless you make up for the diameter it would take to make them act as if they were seperate. I should have stated that right away. I didn't understand why he ran the PCV the way he did. I ran both the breather and PCV into the catch can then that into the intake tube before the turbo. From that pic I can't see how it's ran.

Actually I'm building an engine for my G/F's car and one for a good friend. She wants to go SOHC, and he wanted an H22 in a EF. That's nice you know all those people it doesn't matter to me. If I meet someone that's cool otherwise I'm not going to die because of it. I have four turbos all on cars though what's your point? I actually got great deals on all my cars they were all salvages except for my Saab. No need to be a ***** I wasn't. I think you have security issues to work out there.

[Modified by tzsir, 2:29 AM 1/24/2003]

[Modified by tzsir, 2:32 AM 1/24/2003]
Old 01-24-2003, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, okay, but again, unless we're talking about the difference of gazillion cubic inches of area, I higly doubt teeing off multiple sources of vacuums from one lines have any effect on the response in boost...

AGAIN, THIS IS BACK TO YOU'RE TALKING THEORY BULLSHIT, AND I AM TALKING REALITY I teed of 6, yes SIX vac lines from ONE source, and not even one occasion I was experiencing a vac lag, or whatever it is you mean...

now, DO you even have turbo ? all your posts are contradicting, one post you flaming nitrous setup, another post you were glorifying the **** out of it...

geez, make up your mind on your setup, is it endyn ? on a SZ or D16 or D17 motor, ir is it H22 in an EF ? which is it, or you;re just happen to be very fortunate to have many projects unlike some of us...

sorry, my education was paid on scolarship, can't ask for refunds there....

again, to me, you're just a punk *** smart *** kid, who just happened to read a lil too much on the weekend on textbooks and never even open your damn hood before....again I may be wrong, but the way way you're informing others comes accross as someone who never even work on a car before...

as far as me ? hmm, I have met over 95 peoples here on honda tech and talk to a lot of these guys on daily basis....they know me well enough...

stan
lol enuff said
Old 01-24-2003, 06:19 AM

Of course it will work(teeing vacuum lines) but you are a fool if you do.
seperate vacuum lines for everything

just having a turbo makes you no expert
Old 01-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B20/VTEC vacuum lines question... (rpm9100)

Of course it will work(teeing vacuum lines) but you are a fool if you do.
seperate vacuum lines for everything

who says anything about me being an expert, all I stated was I have had 6 vac lines teed off from one source and it never gave me a problem...I was just stating that it is okay, it will not hurt anything in the process..

I have separate vac source for every vac lines tapped on my intake manifold...thank you..
stan
Old 01-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B20/VTEC vacuum lines question... (rpm9100)

yeah i could name quite a few dumbass people who 'have' a turbo.

Stan is for sure not one of them.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:49 PM

And you are? I used to make a living working woth them. Albeit it was on diesel application, but I still know the concepts that make everything efficient and reliable. Put that in your pipe.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the replies, I think.

About the PCV Valve, it's "in line" with the tubing. I know it's not correct by any means, I just picked on up ath the parts store with the same barb on both ends. I connected the hose from the valve cover to the IM, and just cut it and shoved it in. It worked ok, till I put the turbo on, then I was drawing too much vacuum on the block, so I tee'd it to the turbo inlet.

The EVAP canister line that's NOT connected goes to the vapor part, the one that is connected goes through the solenoid/diaphragm.

yea, I was just wondering if I could run one, like, 1/2" tube line from the WG , tee in the BOV, and then back to the IM. Could use braded hose/earl fittings and make it look real cool. I think I'll try it anyway, just to see if it works (with cheap ****).

Peace.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:54 PM

" 6 vac lines teed off from one source and it never gave me a problem
it will not hurt anything in the process.."

That sounds like someone who has never opened the hood

separate vac source for every vac lines tapped on intake manifold.

[Modified by rpm9100, 5:55 PM 1/24/2003]