Notices

b18c1 jrsc w/ 01' itr cams? has anyone done this

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c1 jrsc w/ 01' itr cams? has anyone done this

ive posted on theoldone.com and host boards and still haven't found a definite answer. Im installing a jrsc on my gsr but im wondering if I would benefit from 01' itr cams, and if so how much (hp category). I was told that I may see some gains with adjustable cam gears but im wondering if its worth the trouble? These cams are just sitting in my room (was originally going in my na setup)

If its a minimal gain I might as well sell them and put the money towards something else.

If you are unsure please do not post.

Thanks

Here is my setup:

stock b18c1 motor
ill be using chipped obdI p28 w/ uberdata
jrsc hoping to get mvm pulley (shopping for rc 440's)
hondata IM gasket
comptech icebox w/ stock rubber intake arm
jdm 4-1
smsp 2.5" carsound cat
2.5" custom catback

Old 02-28-2005, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c1 jrsc w/ 01' itr cams? has anyone done this (SneezR)

I don't think it will hurt you at all. . .are you tuning it>
Old 02-28-2005, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c1 jrsc w/ 01' itr cams? has anyone done this (m R g S r)

We have found GSR cam ITR exhaust cam has made the most power. I would cams gears either way. On average 10whp is what we've seen over just ITR or GSR.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:25 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: b18c1 jrsc w/ 01' itr cams? has anyone done this (CRVRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRVRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We have found GSR cam ITR exhaust cam has made the most power. I would cams gears either way. On average 10whp is what we've seen over just ITR or GSR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you mean GSR intake cam and ITR exhaust cam?
Old 02-28-2005, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c1 jrsc w/ 01' itr cams? has anyone done this (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think it will hurt you at all. . .are you tuning it&gt;
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes ill be using uberdata.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRVRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We have found GSR cam ITR exhaust cam has made the most power. I would cams gears either way. On average 10whp is what we've seen over just ITR or GSR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I were to use just the itr exhaust cam would I need cam gears?

I thought the jrsc itr made a lot more power vs the gsr

I know there might be some variables to these dyno plots but the gsr is up on hp and tq

GSR

ITR
Old 02-28-2005, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GSR cams are known to be better for Boost.... ITR cam would actually have a negative effect... ITR is meant to be an NA beast...

with NA applications Exhaust/Intake valve overlapping helps flow with a sort of scavanging effect... This would be disasterous for boosted applications!!
Old 02-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dangger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dangger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GSR cams are known to be better for Boost.... ITR cam would actually have a negative effect... ITR is meant to be an NA beast...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Riiiight. .
Old 02-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dangger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dangger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GSR cams are known to be better for Boost.... ITR cam would actually have a negative effect... ITR is meant to be an NA beast...

with NA applications Exhaust/Intake valve overlapping helps flow with a sort of scavanging effect... This would be disasterous for boosted applications!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know that statement is easily falsifiable and its a myth that gets thrown around here and over the internet. I recall seeing a dyno of a turbo b16 (here in the FI forum) w/ and w/ out itr cams, and he gained hp. Im just wondering if ill have similar/better results on a s/c.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: (SneezR)

I am using GSR cams in my setup with Skunk2 cam gears, the cam gears alone will add HP as long as you are adjusting them during your dyno tune.

I've heard and read all sorts of stuff about ITR cams in boosted applications, but the only way you will find out if you make or lose HP is to do the job yourself and install the ITR cams with some adjustable cam gears and DYNO TUNE IT...that is the only true way you will ever know...

Old 02-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blue-Civic-Hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am using GSR cams in my setup with Skunk2 cam gears, the cam gears alone will add HP as long as you are adjusting them during your dyno tune.

I've heard and read all sorts of stuff about ITR cams in boosted applications, but the only way you will find out if you make or lose HP is to do the job yourself and install the ITR cams with some adjustable cam gears and DYNO TUNE IT...that is the only true way you will ever know...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This has already been done. Mike Marsey (Rboosted717) took his very well tuned JRSC'd ITR on the dyno and then swapped in GS-R cams and retuned. He lost power.

Terry (Boostfed) put ITR cams in his turbo B16A2 and retuned. He gained power.

Sonny
Old 02-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sonny)

Sonny do you know how much power was lost when Mike Marsey swapped in gsr cams?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SneezR)

i believe the ITR cams do make more power, but thats if u wanna squeeze as much hp u can out of the motor then its a good investment. seeing i dont have the money to put itr cams in, i think my gsr cams do fine with the supercharger.

heres another good question, which cams (oem/aftermarket) you think would make the most HP with a jackson racing supercharger on a b18c1. anyone know/ or has actually seen/done this with proof of hp gains? a head rebuild is always in the future, and new cams would be fun to tinker with.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys...just think about the setup.

a SC setup doesn't have the turbine to restrict exhaust flow like a turbo charger. You have very little back pressure in the exhaust stream and are just at the mercy of the size/flow of your exhaust.

Thus adding any N/A cams with more duration and lift will make more power with SC boost respectively.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Guys...just think about the setup.

a SC setup doesn't have the turbine to restrict exhaust flow like a turbo charger. You have very little back pressure in the exhaust stream and are just at the mercy of the size/flow of your exhaust.

Thus adding any N/A cams with more duration and lift will make more power with SC boost respectively.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats why its a supercharger and not a turbo...duh'

ITR cams should do really good, just make sure that your dyno tuned and not trying to go for peak HP...go for longevity.(sp?)
Old 04-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PLAGUEDDB7)

itr on any setup will make more if tuned properly with cam gear adjustments and ems tuning

gsr cams will not pull as hard in the upper revs as the itr cams will, its been proven time and time agian on this board

use the search feature, although most of the setups that used the itr cams were turbo'd, i highly doubt you will lose power with itr cam plus proper tuning

basically tuning with the cam gears and ems and use the search feature

goodluck with it