Notices

B18B Turbo Problem for you Techs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18B Turbo Problem for you Techs...

ok I have a Stock B18B LS Non-Vtec Turbo motor with a problem. The motor spits out white smoke out the exhaust, there are no leaks in the engine bay, the compression test results displayed that the third cylinder had no compression, the spark plug in the third cylinder was coated with oil.

So I'm thinking that the problem is either the rings need to be replaced, head gasket is gone, or valve seals need to be replaced.

I was wondering what parts you guys recommend to change, brand names, and what other things should be swapped out.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew the exact tools needed to remove the head from the block. And if anyone could kindly send me a link to a step by step process to removing an LS head. Thank you for your time!
Old 05-24-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: B18B Turbo Problem for you Techs... (bukbukintegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bukbukintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok I have a Stock B18B LS Non-Vtec Turbo motor with a problem. The motor spits out white smoke out the exhaust, there are no leaks in the engine bay, the compression test results displayed that the third cylinder had no compression, the spark plug in the third cylinder was coated with oil.

So I'm thinking that the problem is either the rings need to be replaced, head gasket is gone, or valve seals need to be replaced.

I was wondering what parts you guys recommend to change, brand names, and what other things should be swapped out.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew the exact tools needed to remove the head from the block. And if anyone could kindly send me a link to a step by step process to removing an LS head. Thank you for your time!</TD></TR></TABLE>

its ur rings or ringlands....to remove the head get a helms and go by that.....replace the stock **** with je n eagles
Old 05-24-2005, 05:51 PM

do u know a good place to go on the internet where i can get je or eagle parts for good price? and thanks for the heads up on the rings/ringlands... appreciate it!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: (bukbukintegra)

i would buy eagle rods and wiseco pistons if i were you. we are all entitled to our own opinions but there are several sites including import builders that highly recommend wiseco pistons above all others, but you choose as you see fit. as for the research behind this and the sites that could give you a good deal on it, you are going to have to search for yourself b/c they are ususally always changing and some might be offering discounts now that others aren't.

also there are several sites (and books) that can give you detailed instructions on how to remove the cylinder head from your engine, i do not have one at hand right now that is specific to the b18b but removal is fairly easy and straight forward.
here is a basic run down: remove valve cover, distributor, then slide the timing belt off the cams and remove the cams and cam caps, then take your 12 pt 1/2 inch deep socket and remove the head bolts slowly, evenly and in the right order. remove the plugs into sensors and a few of the fitting and you should be ready to lift the head.
good luck
Old 05-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RaNMaN)

the ringlands are only bad when you have blowby, just the compression rings are toast
Old 05-24-2005, 11:18 PM

thanks for the info RaNMan, i will do research, in the mean time where do u guys go to get wiseco pistons, je rings, and other parts... thanks again!!!
Old 05-25-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: (jdmhonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ringlands are only bad when you have blowby, just the compression rings are toast</TD></TR></TABLE>

read the post...spark plug is covered with oil...therefore the oil is getting past the oil control ring......its not just the comp. rings
Old 04-18-2016, 06:54 AM
Trial User

Default Re: B18B Turbo Problem for you Techs...

hey ive got b18b Ls non vtec with a single t3 turbo just wondering every time i do a pull and turbo spool i can smell oil burning and lot of smoke behind me and coming through the car vent and at a complete stop u can see lots of smoke coming through the engine bay but the car runs fine no issue when i pull i can leakage closer by the block and head some ppl told it could be the head gasket but i dont know
Old 04-18-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

-How long ago was the turbocharger installed?
-CLEAR photos of oil feed and return line setup at the turbocharger.
-what color is smoke coming out of exhaust and bay?
-are valveseals old and /or has cylinder head been serviced
-Videos are even better diagnostic tool

Can't help unless we have ALL of those.. No imagining, no "picture this", no bad descriptions. Need ALL OF THE ABOVE LISTED to even remotely be of assistance.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Trial User

i bought the engine and turbo together from the previous owner so i dont know when the turbo was installed i will snap some pictures well it look like black smoke it a stock motor i dont know if anything was done
Old 04-19-2016, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bukbukintegra)

Originally Posted by RaNMaN
i would buy eagle rods and wiseco pistons if i were you. we are all entitled to our own opinions but there are several sites including import builders that highly recommend wiseco pistons above all others, but you choose as you see fit. as for the research behind this and the s hiites that could give you a good deal on it, you are going to have to search for yourself b/c they are ususally always changing and some might be offering discounts now that others aren't.

also there are several sites (and books) that can give you detailed instructions on how to remove the cylinder head from your engine, i do not have one at hand right now that is specific to the b18b but removal is fairly easy and straight forward.
here is a basic run down: remove valve cover, distributor, then slide the timing belt off the cams and remove the cams and cam caps, then take your 12 pt 1/2 inch deep socket and remove the head bolts slowly, evenly and in the right order. remove the plugs into sensors and a few of the fitting and you should be ready to lift the head.
good luck
It's only a 12 PT 1/2 if it's ARP head studs, if they are factory head bolts the are 14mm normal bolt head that you should NOT use a 12 PT on to risk stripping the bolt heads.