Notices

b16a2/type r hybrid boost/suspension/idle questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16a2/type r hybrid boost/suspension/idle questions

so im running a boosted b16a2 bottom end built with a type r head with a type r intake manifold etc..

i boosted it up to about 12-15 psi and it started to spike??
what is safe boost levels for this setup..
i have a garret 60 trim turbo with drag mani, tial sport wastegate,external dump, hks bov,rc 750 cc injectors/aem fuel rail.... hmm and alot of other goodies.. the car runs good at around 10psi but i feel like is hould be able to boost a lil higher if i go to the track.. i havent yet really raced it i was just toying with the boost controller to see what it can do and well how the car would respond to the boost. if anyone has this setup could they tell me what boost they have it set at?? i have a hondata s200 with a chrome chipped p28 ecu also.. should i have it tuned differently??

-also what rates are you setting the springs at on your civics?? i have a tein full coil over system and i turned it all the way till it was tight.. it is a lil bouncy but handles real good..is this bad for the suspension??

-and also in the morning even when i let it warm up for about 10 minutes and its fully warmed up it idles funny like cammed out funny.. this only happens rarely but id like to fix this stuff before i sell it.. i will post pcs and mods if anyone needs them to diagnose my problems. thanks guys.

let me know what else info wise is needed to help me fix these minor yet annoying problems..
Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a2/type r hybrid boost/suspension/idle questions

i prob wouldnt go over 12 psi. if the wastegate is on a individual runner thats why its prob spiking the drag mani's a kinda bad with that.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so its the manifold? i mean it spikes and feels like its popping a little bit... i have no room for any other kind of manifold or id have to change a **** load of stuff..like everything is custom and stuffed in there..

so u say its the mani ..hmmm that sux i thought drag was a good mani too..

anyone else.. anything about the suspension or the idle problems?? lemme know guys anything helps
Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the wastegate placed on just a runner instead of the collector? that has cause problems for people
Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no theres a flange for the wastegate off the manifold i think.. ill have to look in the am... but its either on the manifold or off the exhaust.. so ur saying if its off the runner its gonna cause it to do this? or if its off the manifold...lemme know thanks
Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some other guys can chime in, but ive seen a few cars have problems on low boost levels.

the reason because the wg flange was on an individual runner instead of on the collector of the manifold; therefore the wastegate doesnt have asmuch air to bypass. Since only every 4th stoke the motor makes gases go by that runner kinda.a centraly located wastegate at the collector recieves more gases to divert.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm ... ok so what boost level should i set it at or should i just get it tuned again asap...maybe they could tune it to a safe 12-14 psi at the local tuning shop???

whats the safest boost level for my setup?they told me i COULD run 22psi no problem. i dont wanna go that extreme..but 14psi sounds nice for some reason.is this too high?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on a stock bottem end most motors wouldnt make it off the dyno with 22psi
dont get itno boost get that thing tuned asap. i personally would try to stay under 13psi at most. search the fi forum talot of eople have had a similiar setup
Old 04-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man.. is the fi forum the forced induction forum im assuming? that may be a really dumb question sorry...i will get it tuned as soon as i get home from italy..i wanna sell it but i refuse to till everything is runnig perfect..but at the same time i dont wana sell it cuz its so purrrdy and its def a fast lil sleeper..ill post pics of my setup this week.. i gotta get a few things..little things..

but thanks again for the help.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, you should be more specific about your build. If you are planning to boost more than 11psi, you should change your MAP sensor to at least a 2BAR. The stock MAP will read up to about 11psi, which isn't even close to 1BAR yet.

Boost spikes occur when your wastegate doesn't let out enough pressure when it's supposed to. The Drag manifold has the the wastegate on 1 runner. That manifold isn't much good over 10psi hence the design.