Notices

b16 valves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 valves?

ok so i have a built b16 ( supertech pistons, eagle rods, acl bearings, arp head studs, gsr cams, skunk 2 dual valve springs and retainers) turboed with a t3t04e 57 trim turbo running 17 psi. ran great and pulled hard till the other night. i build all my own motors and tune them on crome pro. anyway the other night i had a friend drive on the interstate while i tuned it since i just put the turbo on it and i got it running really good. then when i got back to town i raced this kid that has a newer STI hatch with stuff done to it. lets just say the kid had nothing to say after i raced him since i beat him so bad lol. but when i was in front of him i looked in the rear view to see how far ahead i was and i noticed smoke...wtf? so the next day i pulled the turbo and mani off and in cyl. 3 one of the valves were soaked in oil. so im assuming i burnt a valve somehow but not sure why?? still seemed to run ok but it smoked. so what im getting at is it cuz i have stock valves or is it maybe just a defective valve. i work in a machine shop and do all my own head work. i also have a spare b16 head for parts. im gonna pull the head when i get outa work but will it be ok to just take the valve out and lap in one of the valves from my parts head? ive ran more boost with stock valves before on other motors without a problem. im kinda on a budget now so if the stock valves should b ok then im just gonna put it in. just wanna hear what other people think??
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 valves?

im not mechanically knowledgeable but ill guess valve seal. lol. Thats the only way in my head I can picture oil covering just one valve.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought about that too but idk... any other thoughts?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

need some help. im pulling the head in a bit but i don't want to if its something stupid like a bad valve seal?? im gonna go machine the tool to take the valve springs out since im to cheap to buy one and can make it for free. hope someone can help me by time im done with that...
Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the valve seal and also make sure the valve guide is not cracked
Old 05-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the reason im thinking its a valve or valve seal is because its only the one valve in the port. the other valve is clean and normal. so i would think if it was a cracked ring land or bad ring both valves would be soaked in oil... if it was a bad valve wouldn't it run funny and make my air fuels b a little off??
Old 05-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i made the valve spring compressor and im thinking about just taking the valve spring off and taking a scope and see if i can see it the valve is burnt or chipped for some odd reason... and if it looks ok then im gonna change the seal and see what happens.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a compression and leak down test, that will tell you if you have a burnt valve. It does not sound like it though. If it was a bad exhaust valve seal you would not have oil on the valve. The hot exhaust gas would burn the oil before it could gather and the exhaust flow would also not let the oil gather, it would be burnt and sucked out the exhaust. You would need to have a pretty large oil seal leak to cause oil on the exhaust valve.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i couldnt find a compression gauge for some reason so i pulled the head. valve looks fine and i cant figure it out. but there is oil in that cyl? what is going on here??
Old 05-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok if there is oil in the cylinder the it is 1 of 2 things.
1. A leaking valve seal
2. Bad oil control rings
Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya thats the 2 things i came up with too. but the motor has just barely 2000 miles on it since i built it and it has forged supertech pistons in it... i have it set to 1 degree per pound of boost, dizzy set to 0 on the timing light with the jumper in and my air fuels were between 11.2-11.4 in full boost. car still ran great just started smoking. i would think if it was a piston or ring that it would run rough and also it would have oil on both valves in that cylinder not just one exhaust valve.. also when u pull the valve out the valve seal still feels snug on the stem and it makes a suction noise when u pull it out? i guess when i get outa work today if the weather clears up im gonna pull that piston out and see if the ring lands are cracked or if there is anything obvious going on. but ive never cracked ring lands and deff not on forged pistons so idk. and there is no scoring on the cylinder wall either. man im so lost and have had no luck with this setup.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still trying to figure this out??
Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont pull the piston i just had the same problem bro i throught it was my turbo making my motor smoke after pulling the turbo and manifold number 1 & 2 cyl was wet with oil come to find out it was the valve stem seal
Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosteddohczc
ya thats the 2 things i came up with too. but the motor has just barely 2000 miles on it since i built it and it has forged supertech pistons in it... i have it set to 1 degree per pound of boost, dizzy set to 0 on the timing light with the jumper in and my air fuels were between 11.2-11.4 in full boost. car still ran great just started smoking. i would think if it was a piston or ring that it would run rough and also it would have oil on both valves in that cylinder not just one exhaust valve.. also when u pull the valve out the valve seal still feels snug on the stem and it makes a suction noise when u pull it out? i guess when i get outa work today if the weather clears up im gonna pull that piston out and see if the ring lands are cracked or if there is anything obvious going on. but ive never cracked ring lands and deff not on forged pistons so idk. and there is no scoring on the cylinder wall either. man im so lost and have had no luck with this setup.
Even a fresh built motor can have issues. The valve seals could have been damaged when they where installed (happened to me on my B16 head) or the rings could have been installed wrong. The motor may not have been broken in correctly and the rings have not seated properly. You should put 500-800 miles on the motor before boosting and tuning to break in the motor. Since you just pulled of the valve seals you NEED to replace them. Once you put them on then take them off they are f^cked.