Notices

b16 turbo set up question

Old 02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 turbo set up question

hello new here , dont want to sound like a dumba** here but i have a couple of questions for the tru honda tech heads !! i have finally left the dark side of v8's and im fascinated with hondas and there kick a** power . i just bought this 1993 civic eg hatch for 2,500 and i want to know what to look for and do to this car . the engine is a b16a with a turbo kit on it . the guy i got it from said it was tuned at 4 pounds . i know that i could get more out of it . tha car runs strong no tranny issues , and the car has great power . what i have noticed is at a high rpm when the vtec kicks in it will sputter and not like if you were to hit the rev limiter . im thinking could this be a fuel starvation problem or a bad tune ? the engine is not losing oil and it sounds excellent . also what do i look for when i look at the engine to tell i have the right injectors and other stuff to look for . i will post some close up pics tomorrow of the hatch . at 2,500 i couldnt pass this deal up .
Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 turbo set up question

first I would not trust anything the guy told you, if your not familiar with a turbo honda I would find a import shop close to you and just ask them to take a look at the car and see what they recommend. If you can take some good pics of the engine bay, check to see what plugs your running and the gap, and get back to us. Also do you have a wideband?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok got some pics of the engine bay and a couple of close ups . the plugs are ngk r . they look awefully cooked as if they are burning hot (white color ) . theres a pic of it here . also wideband please explain ? i will say this i know i sound like a dumba** but i have determination on this setup to get it right . just never dealt with turbo charged applications .. anyways heres some pics and i can also try to get the numbers off turbo and pics of the ecu as well . any help would be more than appreciated . thanks fellas !! p.s. the bumper was off and i had twist ties holding intercooler up while i was fabricating some brackets up . also the green cover is nasty looking , that will be replaced .
Attached Images      
Old 02-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That plug looks terrible. I'd stay out of boost as much as possible because you might be running lean. Also the injectors look stock, but it could be my eyes. Definitely take it to an import shop and have them look over it. Much cheaper than replacing a new engine in case it blows. That sputtering could be a misfire, but due to the look of the plug I'd hope that's all it is.

You want to make sure your engine management is good and tuneable. You need the right amount of injectors. Good fuel and ignition management are the first two steps to a great tune. Next is make sure your tuner is good.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gap on the plugs taken out were 0.44 ...... also noticed a small leak on bottom of turbo .. boost gauge is not registering at 0 it is at 15 towards the vacum side of the gauge . once the gas is administered it will jump back to 0 and climb towards the 4 to 5 pound mark . let me know some input on this . thanks........
Old 02-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pick up some ngk bkr7e plugs and gap to .030, if those are stock injectors you really need someone who knows about boosted honda's to check it out and stay out of boost until you do. Your boost gauge sounds normal it should be in vacuum at idle, but it does seem a little low most will be closer to 20 at idle so you may have a vacuum leak.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would like to upgrade to a bigger turbo . any suggestions on a good one for my set up ? i will also need to know who has the cheapest 550cc injectors for my b16a . i have already purchased a walbro fuel pump . what will i need to go with the bigger turbo ? will i need a different wastegate ?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Why exactly do you just want 'a bigger turbo'?
What's wrong with the one that's on there now?

I see you are looking for new injectors, but what injectors are in right now?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great answers and questions . you guys are on top of your game . how do i distinguish what type of injectors i have ? what do i look for . also i will get the numbers of the turbo i already have . that way you guys can tell me what route is best for my setup and how much boost im capable of getting out of the turbo i have now !! thanks guys i will have the info tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heres what i have looked at . on the turbo it says air 50 and also there is m12 stamped on it in a different place . does this info help and what kind of turbo is it and what kind of pottential does it have ? also here is two pics of the ecu as well . i will also need input on what ecu this is ? thanks again fellas .. i also went ahead for now and just changed the plugs with a new set of ngk's as instructed .
Attached Images   
Old 02-21-2009, 05:55 AM

STAY OUT OF BOOST AND HAVE A TUNER LOOK AT IT. the tuner will tell you what you need to do with it....if those infectors are stock, you really, REALLY dont need to go around reaming on this thing. just be patient, and take it to someone experienced.

EDIT:lol "infectors"....im not even going to change it.....
Old 02-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so does anyone know about the ecu and turbo i have ..
Old 02-21-2009, 07:38 AM
B.
400 HP Club

the best advice I can give you is to seek out a good tuner and have your car gone over with him. That way you can find out whats going on with the car, how to make more power and have no issues in the future. Everyday you drive that car with all the unknowns is a day closer to blowing it up .
Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 AM

looks like it has stock injectors in it. could you undo the computer top and take a picture of the top side.if there is know chip in it prolly doesnt even have a base map and the guy lied to you. i would never tune on stock injectors. also if it doesnt have a after market fuel pump get one and some injectors and let a tuner hook you up
Old 02-21-2009, 07:46 AM

i hope that is a vtec computer i see p06 on the side maybe they chipped it for vtec
Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

There is no way we can tell what injectors you have from the pictures, (they must be tested, but they just seem rather stock from the "quality" that the previous owner invested in this machine). The ECU, needs to be inspected to see if it works properly "as is" much less if it survived a chipping process.

It really seems like you inherited a mess here from someone else. If you want to learn a bit of the basics on the turbocharged honda, check the FAQs on the top of the forum and go through it step by step. Let us know what tuner/repair shop you decide.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trigger_time
gap on the plugs taken out were 0.44 ...... also noticed a small leak on bottom of turbo .. boost gauge is not registering at 0 it is at 15 towards the vacum side of the gauge . once the gas is administered it will jump back to 0 and climb towards the 4 to 5 pound mark . let me know some input on this . thanks........
The gap confirms the possible misfire sputtering you were encountering. Like BigD suggested get some NGK cold plug in the 7 range. The ones he suggested are good. It's possible that your pass plugs were in the 6 heat range.

That small leak is something to keep an eye on. Maybe the previous owner didn't put any teflon tape on the threads on the oil feed line.

The best thing for you right now is get that thing looked at, fixed, and tuned correctly. Make sure it is all buttoned up right. Then research on here and other reputable forums on what people have used to increase the power on your type of engine. Become comfortable with your setup now and then upgrade later after having more knowledge.

There is a thread at the top of this forum that is a directory of tuners that has been recommended by users of this site. Hopefully you are close to one of those tuners.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok sounds good here is two close up pics of the ecu .
Attached Images   
Old 02-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it looks like it is a chipped p06 only problem is there is no way to know whats on it, I would pick up some new injectors, make sure it has an upgraded fuel pump and order another chip with a base map for your setup. That will get you driving to work out any other problems and get it to a tuner. Also pick up a wide band if you can