Notices

Autronic OR AEM EMS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autronic OR AEM EMS?

Which one would you choose? I'm going for big power (30-35psi) and want to know what the fast guys like?

-Justin
Old 10-08-2003, 11:43 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Autronic OR AEM EMS? (olsonjus)

something tells me a poll isnt the best way to make this decision.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Autronic OR AEM EMS? (falconGSR)

Please reply if you have first hand knowledge with both or even one of the systems. Which one is easier to tune? Which one gives you more control over the engine?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my .02 i've only looking into the AEM EMS recently and i'm getting impressed with out they ahve thing s... comstant tech support on their site .. tech's that are willing to make fuel maps for you ... small things liek that are making it worth it ... on top of the programming made simpler for you not at literate folks
Old 10-08-2003, 11:57 AM
What is this crap?

i have extensive experience with the AEM EMS. i know some people using autronic but they arent up and running yet.

my bet is its going to be easier to get the aem ems up and running, but why dont you describe your application in more detail? aem ems with a 5bar map and big injectors will work and will plug into your stock wiring harness.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The newest software on the AEM is decent, but if you have an old laptop like me, the software can be slightly frustrating (hangs/unresponsive). The fact that their software package is almost 50 megs, also makes me think it's bloat ware.

The autronic software runs really smooth even on my old laptop. Between the two, I'd run the autronic. its not very hard to set up at all. Its injector drivers are top notch, autronic products are known for their dependability, and they have great customer service. overall, the autronic is a good balance of being easy to use and being packed with features.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:30 PM

I just bought the AEM used and when I got it the system didnt sync with the laptop. I called customer service and was amazed at how easy they were to deal with and they overnighted me a new EEPROM chip that fixed the problem. Customer service means everything with these systems as you will eventually have some question that they can solve for you.

Anyway, I got the AEM because I wanted an insurance policy that I wouldnt blow up my car. I also got the UEGO system and it is a breeze to set up your fuel maps by telling it to adjust to your AFR of lets say 12 to 1. The new version 1.03 is just a little less than 39MB to load on the computer but it started my car right away. I had a question about getting the idle where I wanted it and the tech line was there for me again.

With the flexibility that AEM offers along with the support that it is getting, my vote is for AEM.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Autronic OR AEM EMS? (brkrnu)

i got to admit the aem wideband is pretty kool for the price, and i was impressed by its small size.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:34 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Autronic OR AEM EMS? (brkrnu)

I went from AEM EMS to an Autronic. My car is in a "forever" project state so who I cant really I've had expeirence with it. I had the older v73 software from AEM that I didnt like. I would ask EFIGUY here on HT about both since he very knowledgeable in just about every EFI system out there. http://www.efi101.com is his website.

art
Old 10-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Autronic OR AEM EMS? (Arturbo)

EFIGUY SEZ:

Both are great systems, and granted I am slightly biased towards Autronic because I actaully sell it. But I do most of the technical support for the west coast, and I can say that I have a pretty easy job! lol

The AEM system has a lot of ammunition to fight a "feature war", but my experience has been that the software, while effective, isn't as nice and not as user friendly as Autronic. Also, not necessarily with the Hondas so much, but lots of other guys have had lots of problems with their AEM systems.

AEM always seems to overcome these problems, but therin lies the core difference between the two...........

Autronic will never release a product until it has been fully developed and tested to be fail proff........

AEM seesm more concerned with filling their product line with new part numbers first, and addressing problems later.....

Would this explain why they have such a massive tech support team....?????

Yes, its a very good thing to have a big tech support team like AEM, but its even better to have a product that you don't NEED a bunch of tech support to start with!

But then again, what do I know?
Old 10-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Autronic OR AEM EMS? (EFIGUY)

kind of curious, whats the price difference?
Old 10-08-2003, 01:01 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: Autronic OR AEM EMS? (SEFI8LOxCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SEFI8LOxCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The autronic software runs really smooth even on my old laptop. Between the two, I'd run the autronic. its not very hard to set up at all. Its injector drivers are top notch, autronic products are known for their dependability, and they have great customer service. overall, the autronic is a good balance of being easy to use and being packed with features.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is really cool to hear.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:03 PM

ya price difference???
Old 10-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, my car isn't a honda...

I have a Audi 5cylinder 20vt. It is a 2.2l that is pretty rev happy from the factory, but not near as much so as your hondas.

I too was impressed by the long list of features offered by AEM. I also like that you dont have to use their wide band to get it to work. I already have access to a Motec wideband, and that wont work with the autronic autotune. I would have to shell out a bunch off money to get the autronic version.

For the price, it looks like AEM would be a little cheaper to start out with. If they can get the system more reliable I'll probably go with it.

-Justin
Old 10-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the aem and its been fine for me.
i was pissed that aem didnt fully have everything worked out before releasing it but overall i never really had any probs with the software..or anything for that matter.

Old 10-10-2003, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Autronic SMC 1699.00
Autronic SM2 1899.00

options:
reluctor adapter $90
boost control solenoid $105
Old 10-10-2003, 09:21 AM

Default Re: (EFIGUY)

I got my AEM EMS used for $1000 and the UEGO wideband for $350.

So for $1350 I got a kick-*** system that I can street tune and feel like I can monitor everything going on with the engine.

Look what I don't need now.

Resistor box - It will run any injectors as long as you tell it what you are using
Missing Link, FMU, FPR, etc.
MSD ignition - the AEM handles every timing situation based on things like temperature, boost, etc.
Boost controller - the AEM will control boost with a GM solenoid
Datalogging software - AEM includes it, Hondata and others don't
Windows based software - You can cut and paste from one fuel map to another easily, etc.
Traction control, soft rev limits, and launch control is all included

If you ask me that is a lot to get for the money. Honestly what sold me was when I called the tuner and he said that he would tune for WOT but couldnt guarantee me that the car would be driveable. Then he went on that I could buy the datalogging and he would charge me only $60 each time I wanted to burn a new chip and this is after about $275 worth of tuning time to set up the system. All that on top of the $800 or so that the Hondata costs and I had my decision.

I'm sure there are better systems out there but the AEM does everything that I will every want it to do.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:20 AM

Default Re: (EFIGUY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EFIGUY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Autronic SMC 1699.00
Autronic SM2 1899.00

options:
reluctor adapter $90
boost control solenoid $105</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont forget that wonderful autotune option for autronic, hook up a wideband and it tunes itself

autronic also has the 44 psi or so built in MAP sensor, i just read a lot on it cause kevin black uses it (fastest 4cyl VW),
also, is this your first engine? cause first timer and 35psi will probbaly= boom!!! i hope its not just a "hope and dream", i think many will agree
Old 10-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brkrnu)

You DO still need the resistor box for any car that originally came with high impedence injectors. Other than that I have been running the EMS for more than a year and you would have to show me something revolutionary for me to get rid of it. I absolutely love it. Especially on turbocharged cars is where the ems shines - the boost control features are endless. Some people count this as a downside (too many features/tables/maps), but if you get everything set up properly the result is a race engine that performs like it did from the factory. Look at Sean McElderry's T88 supra - Sean is so f'in gifted with this system that Toyota engineers were stupified by his car (how many 800whp cars run as well if not better than stock?). Sean is the master - see http://www.torquefreaks.com. I'm sure Autronic makes an awesome system, I just haven't used it. Never purchase a standalone system as an "insurance policy" for your motor. There are far too many things to **** up for this to be any kind of insurance policy. If you have a tuner that will spend a week tuning the car and driving it around under varied conditions, then to the ems. Otherwise get ready to read and re-read every single tech article aem has about the ems. Time well spent though!
Old 10-10-2003, 12:26 PM

Default Re: (hpfsi)

By insurance policy, I meant having the ability to monitor and set every parameter of my system.

I thought about 1/2 second about running a hack like most people do on this board and that to me is playing with fire. I would much rather have a wideband with datalogging capability to make sure that I am well within the limits of the engine's capacity. The AEM EMS does have the ability to automap the fuel tables and all you need to do is set your AFR to something like 12:1 and the computer makes the adjustments.

I have talked to Sean from Torquefreaks.com and he is the hot man right now. I heard that he recently flew overseas to help someone tune their car!!! Now that's living !!

I also came across a topic on the AEM forum about customizing the AEM EMS to do things like turn on your check engine light when you run leaner than 15:1 or richer than 9:1. With a wideband this EMS has so much flexibility.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hpfsi)

EFIGUY- i couldnt have said it better myself. I absolutly love the AEM and its flexability but i have seen far too many drivers being burned out. i was told that the serial numbers over #100 are fine and should have no problems. I have box # 134 so hopfully in in the clear. The AEM classes are an awesome idea and the tech support is great but it still needs to be refined and proven till you see it in more cars. Ill be running Hotrod class with one next year and if it works it will be in the whole year. If it dont work out then its getting yanked, i wont run some thing that does not stand up. Sometimes you dont need to be the fastest guy on the track you just need to be the last one standing.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:39 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: (brkrnu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brkrnu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also came across a topic on the AEM forum about customizing the AEM EMS to do things like turn on your check engine light when you run leaner than 15:1 or richer than 9:1. With a wideband this EMS has so much flexibility.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i set the ems to control my check engine light to come on as a shift light or if i am overboosting (back when i had boost spike issues). so if the light came on, i would shift or get out of the gas. very cool

unless the autronic is make for vehicle specific applications, then maybe the autronic shouldnt be compared to the ems. cause the ems is plug and tune (they say plug and play but thats misleading).

Joe

Old 10-10-2003, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (falconGSR)

well, if you need to wire in a resistor box on the ems, being most large injectors are low impedence, the ems isn't totally plug and play either.

Old 10-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SEFI8LOxCivic)

Well, for me both systems would have to be wired in since AEM does't make PnP system for my car.

Also, what do you guys think of Autronics lack of a knock sensor?

evoeone,
This isn't my first engine. That would be just plain silly trying this with no experience or resources. I have full access to a awd mustange dyno and wide Motec wide band 02.

-Justin
Old 10-11-2003, 01:55 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: (SEFI8LOxCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SEFI8LOxCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, if you need to wire in a resistor box on the ems, being most large injectors are low impedence, the ems isn't totally plug and play either.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

nothing is plug and play usually. thats why i wasnt touting the ems as such. i am seriously considering designing an injector driver box that would hook up to any ECU and have the right drivers for super large injectors. hondata, aem ems, chipped ecu with boost, just about anythign could run massive peak and hold injectors no problem.

Quick Reply: Autronic OR AEM EMS?