ARGH - sudden increase in detonation/pinging, help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 08:45 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARGH - sudden increase in detonation/pinging, help!

i have a 2000 prelude with jrsc, intake, zfr7f plugs gapped to .32, plug wires, otherwise stock. i'm in california. 91 octane. in the last two weeks, i have been experiencing significant pinging, even in 1st gear. my idle fuel pressure is 50psi, baseline is around 70-75, at full boost it's over 100. my a/f gauge always reads slightly rich, boost shows 6-7psi just as it should.

after the kit went on, i NEVER experienced pinging. i really don't know what could have changed. could small adjustments in fuel pressure result in such a noticeable increase in detonation? i previously had the jr btc set about 1/3 from minimum retard, now it's MORE than 1/2 from minimum and it STILL pings!

ugh, thanks for any suggestions. might the catch can trick be useful in this case?
Old 09-11-2001, 08:00 AM
New User

Default Re: ARGH - sudden increase in detonation/pinging, help! (schwett)

Would this happen to have started say... a little over a month ago? You know the octane of premium has been reduced from 92 to 91 and the JRSC was designed to be run with 92 octane. You might want to try some octane booster or mix with some 100 octane race gas.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:03 AM
New User

Default Re: ARGH - sudden increase in detonation/pinging, help! (mercury)

well, it was actually AFTER that, the car ran great for a while with what was labeled "91." however, i am really wondering how long it took for the 91 to filter in, because all the stations overnight put "91" stickers over there "92" stickers. it may be just now that i'm getting the non-mtbe 91 octane gas.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You must consider the fuel injectors. They could be malfunctioning at those high fuel pressures. It is only a matter of time before this will catch up to you. Please save yourself a thousand dollars or so and get a proper fuel management system that runs low fuel pressures and a low duty cycle.

I recommend an aftermarket fuel solution. This is what I did. Hondata was the answer for me and it will work for you.

I once ran 12:1 Vortech regulator on 310cc inj for 305 hp. Nothing happened to me because I switched to Hondata.
Old 09-11-2001, 09:14 AM
New User

Default Re: ARGH - sudden increase in detonation/pinging, help! (sleepy)

i have to note that plenty of other users have the exact same setup without any detonation...

as for an aftermarket fuel solution; hondata is not an option because there is no OBD I computer that can control the ATTS system. is there a piggyback solution that might work?

larger injectors are a possibility, but why would decreasing the fuel pressure via larger injectors reduce detonation?
Old 09-11-2001, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It will not reduce detonation. What it will do is keep the injectors working in their intended and optimal duty cycle, duration, and fuel pressure so that they do not malfunction. It is difficult for small injectorsto consistently open and spray against high cylinder pressures.

Eventually the small injectors will perform suboptimally and fail. If you don't believe me, ask RC engineering. They will enlighten you. Hondata has a discussion of this on their site. This is objective/unbiased information re: fuel consumption.

If, and I emphasize IF, you start to experience detonation, fuel is a possibility and the fuel supply system should be scrutinized.

My point is that you will eventually blow something up with a suboptimal fuel system. It is just a matter of time. You can spend a 1000 or less on proper fuel management or 1000+ on engine rebuild and then another 1000 or so on proper fuel management.
Check it out!

[Modified by sleepy, 10:46 AM 9/11/2001]
Old 09-11-2001, 09:26 AM
New User

WOW OVER 100 PSI! My car sees about 80psi under full boost. That is way too much pressure for those injectors.