Notices

ANYONE with Twin Disk experience/knowledge <------

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:59 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ANYONE with Twin Disk experience/knowledge <------

Background: 97 ls/vtec, ls tranny, quaife, Exedy Twin Disk Clutch, super blue fluid is the clutch fluid and red line synthetic is the tranny fluid. The motor was completely rebuilt, transmission got the quaife and clutch installed at the same time, and has been on the road since September 16 at 10:00pm (I've waited a long time for it as you can see haha). I didn't mess with synchro's or gears at all. I have replaced both the master cylinder and the slave over the last 1000 miles or so. I've also played with the clutch adjustment with no success. The clutch also had over 2000 miles before I went to the strip....It has only seen 4 passes and luaches were done below 4000rpm on street tires.

Problem: From a stop (with the car running) it is really hard to get it to want to go into 1st & 2nd. It just feels like there is a wall blocking the shifter....eventually if I keep trying it will slip into gear. It also sticks if I try and downshift to 2nd...or 1st for that matter. No other gear is difficult to get into though. With the car off, it shifts into the gears perfectly so obviously something is not letting it fully disengage. It doesn't stick when I am shifting from 1st to 2nd.
The car is only making 372whp & 282wtq for now so there is absolutely no reason why it should be from too much power.

Solution: Does anyone have any ideas on possible scenerios? Have you had the same type problem with the Exedy twin disk?

Sorry for the long-winded thread and thank you for your help
Old 11-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: ANYONE with Twin Disk experience/knowledge <------ (Dunc)

Sounds like you have a bad synchro slider. Check the slider for burs. If the clutch was bad you would have problems with all gears.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just had that problem recently
it is definitive that your having bad syncro / slider problem
it is comon problem on honda especialy from 1st to 2nd
hope this help...

oh ya btw honda transmition wher never meant for 300+whp
i had quite a few transmition problem in my car (2001 hype R)
i put like 3 trany already LOL, i owned my car since it was new
and i only have 30.000 km
Old 11-18-2005, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Problem: From a stop (with the car running) it is really hard to get it to want to go into 1st & 2nd. </TD></TR></TABLE>

with the car turned OFF, is this still a problem? or does it go into 1&2 easily.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:45 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ANYONE with Twin Disk experience/knowledge <------ (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with the car turned OFF, is this still a problem? or does it go into 1&2 easily.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if it goes into gear with the car off with out any issues, you have a clutch adjustment issue.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ANYONE with Twin Disk experience/knowledge <------ (madP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by madP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh ya btw honda transmition wher never meant for 300+whp
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Says who?

Old 11-18-2005, 06:19 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: ANYONE with Twin Disk experience/knowledge <------ (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if it goes into gear with the car off with out any issues, you have a clutch adjustment issue. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea thats what I thought because it goes into gear just fine with the car off. But I took free play out and ALSO put more in but neither help even in the slightest bit.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like you have a bad synchro slider. Check the slider for burs. If the clutch was bad you would have problems with all gears.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you two guys, unfortunately, may be right. Perhaps other things just need an overhual since some (but not many ) parts still have 150,000+miles on them now. The gears and snychro's are basically the only stock parts left haha.

Thanks so far for all your input guys...anyone else with a possible idea is more than welcome to speak up
Old 06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ANYONE with Twin Disk experience/knowledge <------ (AF-P Dunc)

Sorry to bump a old thread... I pmed ya