Notices

Anyone runing the fmax kit on a sohc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone runing the fmax kit on a sohc?

I know fmax has a kit out for the sohc but I have yet to see anyone with this kit. If anyone has any info on the kit pls let me know. I like to sway away from the norm and I would love to run a kit not many people use. THXS -Adam
Old 06-02-2002, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone runing the fmax kit on a sohc? (TurboSohc)

I think the FMAX people on this board tend to be less vocal than the DRAG folks. There are quite a few of us out there...just gotta look for us. I had a groupbuy going last year, but I don't remember anyone with an SOHC setup joining. It was mostly LS and GSR users.

I am the ony Type R (probably on the planet...) using FMAX. The quality is good, but as with any kit, be ready to troubleshoot fitment issues, not to mention customer service at FMAX not being the best.

I sincerely cannot recommend the MF2 setup, yet some people do claim good results. Final advice....research!! Make sure that this is what you want! It is one of the more pricier kits, so know that you can spend less on other kits. Good luck
Old 06-02-2002, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Anyone runing the fmax kit on a sohc? (MiraiZ)

Hey man wow a fmax type r Hey could you let me know what you dont like about the kit other then the fuel setup. What size turbo comes in the kit? Does the kit come with a fmic? If you could really just let me know you likes and dislikes that would be greatly appreciated. -ADAM

[Modified by TurboSohc, 12:47 PM 6/2/2002]
Old 06-02-2002, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.f-max.com/
Old 06-02-2002, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The main dislike was the fuel setup which may have contributed in blowing my oil rings....the other dislikes I had was the customer service which I must say was extremely poor. FMAX tends to ignore phone calls and e-mail when they get "too busy" which seems like 90% of the time. I had problems with fitment as well, (downpipe too small, manifold bolts not fitting) Dave (JDM_DOHC_SIR) did all of the labor for me, but I could tell it was very frustrating becasue we stuggled with a lot of the FMAX OEM parts and wound replacing a lot of them (especially the studs and bolts, which completely sucked)

Overall quality of the IC pipes, turbo, IC...is top notch. Fo rthe brief time I was boosting, it ran very well...but my car will be undergoing internal surgery to make it more dependable under higher boost.

Bottom-line...look to spend at least $2000 to $2500 more than the kit itself to get everything right. The project is not cheap...but the end result is satisfying...
Old 06-02-2002, 01:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Anyone runing the fmax kit on a sohc? (MiraiZ)

I guess i'll add my $0.02.

Personally, I love the Fmax kit. Fitment is great, quality is great, and although they are bad w/ answering calls, they really do have good customer service. They fixed a bad manifold for me and paid for overnight shipping both ways, and they made me a new set of pipes for free because the ones I had didn't fit exactly right. All in all I'm VERY happy w/ them.

As MaraiZ said, quality is def top notch. The manifold is great. Only complaint is the downpipe. Its only 2.25" and has a closed loop wastegate that is very poorly designed. If you order the kit, order it open loop and either run it like that or pay to have the wastegate put back into the downpipe right before the cat.

Now about the MF2. Although many disagree with me I still say it is not a bad unit. Probem is that its tunable, and everyone (yes, me too) just run it strait out of the box and untuned expecting it to be good. If its set to rich, like mine, it'll be slow. If its too lean, like MiraiZ, you'll blow something. It needs to be tuned.
There are people running 12lbs. daily w/ the MF2, but it was dyno tuned w/ a wideband O2. If you really wanna do it right, ditch the intake pipe placement and install the injectors in custome bungs in the manifold....but that gets to be a lot of work. All in all, I say the FMAX fuel setup is great for low (9psi and lower) boost...I say it beats the hell out of running 120 psi of fuel pressure w/ a fmu.

Oh yeah getting a BTM is nice too.

All in all: