Notices

anyone have the Vortech SC for b16 or b18? or know if its cool or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have the Vortech SC for b16 or b18? or know if its cool or not?

i just was taking a look at vortechs SC with aftercooler, some dood had one in a magazine and it dynoed at 272hp 181trq.. with stock internals (USDM b16)and the usual header and exhaust, but nothing more,, so the claims that vortech says seem to be pretty damn close.. i was just seeing if anyone has this kit or knows someone and if its worth buying,,, reguardless of its price tag. just seeing if its quality stuff, or has some little dumb stuff needed to be improved on. thanks!
Old 03-21-2002, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone have the Vortech SC for b16 or b18? or know if its cool or not? (JDM CRX)

turbo...
supercharger......
anything vortech....
Old 03-21-2002, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone have the Vortech SC for b16 or b18? or know if its cool or not? (JDM CRX)

in a magazine
Old 03-21-2002, 01:27 PM

Default Re: anyone have the Vortech SC for b16 or b18? or know if its cool or not? (dustin)

hhmmm turbos..... i know everything about turbos and i hate it,,,, turbo lag, boost spikes, all the gay plumbing, heats up the oil more becuase its oil cooled bearings, if you blow a engine it throws **** into your turbo and jacks it up. all this in non-existant on a SC to a certain extent,, yes there is some lag,, not much and yes power is consumed in order to make more power, but the overall ease of everything with the SC is better. plus all the vortech is, is a turbo unit ran by a gearbox and shaft from the crank,,unlike the exhuast for a turbo. i was just refereing to the homo with 18s on a Si
in the magazine with the vortech unit, you can be sure a shop did it all for him, but i am a shop and can do the same, i posted this topic to see if anyone on my level had one and liked it or disliked, and if so, why?
thats all i ask

[Modified by JDM CRX, 10:30 PM 3/21/2002]
Old 03-21-2002, 01:30 PM

the b16 has not torque and the vortech kit just worsens this, all the hp and torque gains are in high rpms. IMO the best supercharger is the JRSC, JR claims 40% gain at the wheels and i have seen dynos matter of fact here is one

and thats on the stock pulley (6psi) and stock internals

[Modified by Freakn8, 2:30 PM 3/21/2002]
Old 03-21-2002, 01:49 PM
New User

hhmmm turbos..... i know everything about turbos and i hate it,,,, turbo lag, boost spikes, all the gay plumbing, heats up the oil more becuase its oil cooled bearings, if you blow a engine it throws **** into your turbo and jacks it up. all this in non-existant on a SC to a certain extent...
OK so basically you're saying you don't know anything about turbos OR you've never driven a well-executed turbo setup.

... all this in non-existant on a SC to a certain extent,, yes there is some lag,, not much and yes power is consumed in order to make more power, but the overall ease of everything with the SC is better. plus all the vortech is, is a turbo unit ran by a gearbox and shaft from the crank
Yes the beauty of the Vortech is that if it makes 8 psi at 8000 rpm, it's only making 4 psi at 4000 rpm. Find me one turbo driver that's only making half boost at half his redline. "some lag... not much?" Look at the power curve of a Vortech SC vs. a Drag turbo and tell me which one suffers from "lag".
Old 03-21-2002, 02:03 PM

Default Re: anyone have the Vortech SC for b16 or b18? or know if its cool or not? (dbman96)

----never driven a well executed turbo setup....
yeah your right about the 4psi @4000rpms that is very gay i didnt even think about that until you made mention of it... i was lookin at the Si drag TURBO kit, **** seems to be pretty impressive. yeah after hearing/remembering the half boost at half throttle,,,,, f-ck superchargers, the additional stuff for the turbo will be worth it.
thanks for eveyones help and it changed my mind
Old 03-21-2002, 02:06 PM
New User

lol...another one bites.
Old 03-22-2002, 04:58 AM

Default Re: anyone have the Vortech SC for b16 or b18? or know if its cool or not? (01geeser)

He bites allright.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:21 AM

Default Re: anyone have the Vortech SC for b16 or b18? or know if its cool or not? (blowncivichb)

nah dood, that aint cool.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

When Im revving to 9500 rpm and my boost drops to no less than 17psi dont hate me for skoolin ya with that shitty old centrifugal charger. Please dont talk from your **** and say one form of FI is worse than the other when you have no clue.
Centrifugal SC's are not a bad choice when used in combination of high rpm operation on low displacement engines. What our low displacement motors lack in cc's they definately make up on the BREathing end of the deal. Nobody cracks on the NA guys that run 13k rpms and they run 10's all day... whats the difference? If you like the power band of a pissed off NA honda motor (high comp, generous lift cams etc..) then you'll quadrouple that feeling with power that is linear with the centrifugal charger.
I personally feel that the car would be more predicatble with linear power opposed to that huge rush of tq supplied by a large turbo.. Think about it. you have a large turbo that comes on boost and blows the slicks off of the car and is all up top anyways or you pick a turbo that is a bit smaller and run out of steam towards the top.. I see the tq curve of the centrifigal much more attractive. It has a good compromise of mid range and high end power (which thats all you use drag racing anyways.. you dont shift at 4k rpm so whats the difference?) in turn producing more consistant numbers at the track. You know the name of the game.. consistancey wins.