Notices

what purpose does an fmu serve????

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what purpose does an fmu serve????

i bought a car with a b16 all motor in it...........i decided to go turbo, i bought a drag turbo kit complete, turbo went so i replaced it, now everything i have is legit the whole kit............i installed the turbo kit all the right way, but i didnt use a fmu, now im told that you need it or it helps alot, in my case i put the turbo on and let the turbo break in and everything..........and after like 30 mins tried to boost and had nothing, all vaccume and a real quiet blow off witch i think was from vacume.....you couldnt hear the turbo spool or anything.........after alittle ******* around i got it to push like 4psi if that, and alittle bit of blow off....but its def not running how it should could this be due to not having the fmu on??? i also had buddy club stage3 all motor's in it someone said that could be a problem also idk... if anyone has any help i would appreciate it, im to the point where im about to give up on the whole turbo thing...........

my setup if it helps

b16a3
buddyclub stage3 cams(all motor) but switched to gsr
skunk2 valve train
obx turbo mani
garrett t3t4 ballbearing
tial 34mm wastegate
hks ssqv bov
sperco front mount
piping
manual boost controller
450 injectors
plus all other nessesary hardware........

email me if you can help............deadpunx1672@aol.com
Old 06-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from what i know the FMU just ups the fuel press abt 1 lb or so for every pound of boost. you also want to make sure you don't have any kind of boost leaks and that everything is working as it should
Old 06-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

thanks i appreciate any help i can get.........i need to get this thing boosting
Old 06-25-2006, 10:35 PM
bag

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

Yeah the fmu adds feul dependent on the boost level and ratio of the fmu,,,if you put on fmu then use stock injectors and a high flow inline fuel pump ,,,or leave it how it is now with the 450cc inejctors but get a chipped ecu with a basemap for the injectors then drive to a tuner on the basmap and get it tuned ...

also with the chipped ecu route its just overall better..and you might need an upgraded intank fuel pump for that but but since you have del sol vtec they come with pumps that can handle around 300whp..

also let me add that the drag kit is made for you to use the fmu and inline fuel pump with stock injectors at low boost ~6psi. go higher then that with the 12:1 fmu they give you and you'll run to rich and possibley kill your injectors
Old 06-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (WorkedDelSol)

an fmu is a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. it increases your fuel pressure based on what psi level you are at. say you have a 12:1 fmu, it will increase fuel pressure 12psi for every 1 psi of boost. so at 10psi of boost you are increasing your fuel pressure by 120psi.

now from what ive read it seems that you have no type of fuel or engine management. are you running around with a tubo setup, larger injectors and a stock ecu???? if so stop driving the car immediately. your stock ecu only has ignition and fuel maps for the stock engine and stock injectors.

so you need to do one of two things...

1. use the stock ecu with an fmu, inline fuel pump, and stock injectors

2. get a chipped ecu, tuning software (hondata, crome), larger injectors, and intank fuel pump.

number 2 is the better option but 1 will work. either way you cannot drive a turbo honda without some type of fuel management. unless of couse you want to blow the engine with quickness.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (moops vs moors)

thanks for all the help
Old 06-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to f- up your car