Notices

Anyone have a fREAKIN' idea how to put earl hosends on without hurting themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a fREAKIN' idea how to put earl hosends on without hurting themselves?

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...HE/300106.html

these are the beauts that are giving me about 4 hrs of trouble!! I am this close from PAYING someone to put these damn things on hehe

mike
Old 02-26-2003, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Anyone have a fREAKIN' idea how to put earl hosends on without hurting themselves? (MikeMAN)

yup. have fun.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Anyone have a fREAKIN' idea how to put earl hosends on without hurting themselves? (MikeMAN)

Whats the problem? I just got done using them on my setup. I used the 10an size for the oil drain. The 6an for my fuel lines and the 4an for my turbo oil feed lines. I had no problems at all with them (Except for poking my fingers with the braided lines multiple times) If I can help you just ask. Oh by the way you should look into using the AeroQuip line of products. They manufacture all there own products unlike the other companies out there. They are also cheaper than Earls on most of there products. Or you could try Russel lines and fittings which are also cheaper than earls.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have a fREAKIN' idea how to put earl hosends on without hurting themselves? (18gTeg)

i am pressing the stainless end into the red end and then holding it in the red end so that when i put the blue end on its supposed to pinch it and hold it in place right??

mike
Old 02-26-2003, 05:50 PM

yeah. So you can't get the braided line into the fitting? If not you need to make sure that the braided line is cleanly cut with no wires sticking out. Then just twist the braided line into the fitting be careful not to cut yourself. After that you need to use the assembly lube to insert the blue piece into the braided line. Just twist it in then push really hard and screw it on. Pretty simple honestly.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:51 PM

i am pressing the stainless end into the red end and then holding it in the red end so that when i put the blue end on its supposed to pinch it and hold it in place right??

mike
I'm not sure but it sounds like your messing it up on your last part about the blue end.... if I'm wrong don't flame... the red part should turn like a nut if you were to take it off the fitting once you get it as far as you can you put it you hose then you tigh your red side again and this is what pinch the line in place not the blue side... hopefully you understand what I'm saying or your confuse you more
Old 02-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's what you do...take the red collar, assuming you have a clean cut because it sucks otherwise, and find a socket that fits it...can't remember which one does. Hold the hose (I always wear Mechanix gloves anyway so it doesn't pinch my hand) with one hand and use the socket to turn the red collar onto the hose. The hose should come all the way up to the bottom of the threads inside the collar. Then I put the red collar in a vice, and use an open end wrench to screw the blue end into the red collar. The hose won't come out when you do this. Also helps to use some silicone or white grease on the blue part so it goes into the hose easier.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have a fREAKIN' idea how to put earl hosends on without hurting themselves? (Hatchblack)

since I don't have a vice, i am going to epoxy the braided end in, so when i screw the blue piece on it doesn't push the braided line out..sound like a plan?
Old 02-26-2003, 06:18 PM

I'm not sure why it is even coming out. I never had it come out just hold onto it while you are pushing the blue fitting into the line. What size line are you using anyway?
Old 02-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have a fREAKIN' idea how to put earl hosends on without hurting themselves? (18gTeg)

i think its -10 an ? if thats the big stuff..its about 1/2 inch thick...it keeps coming out of the damn red thing when i try to put the blue end into it!

mike
Old 02-26-2003, 06:44 PM
filetofit

Wrap a few layers of masking, electrical, or scotch tape tightly around the hose near the end and cut the hose through the tape with a dremel tool cut off disk or an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Then remove all but a single layer of tape. Shove the taped end into the red end fitting about an eighth of an inch. Now peel off the tape, carefully pulling it from under the red end fitting while holding the red end fitting on the end of the hose. Shove the hose all the way into the fitting and screw the blue hose end into the end fitting.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have a fREAKIN' idea how to put earl hosends on without hurting themselves? (filetofit)

sorry, nothing to cut with here

but very good idea.

is my end popping out because it isn't mating perfectly flush with the inside??

mike
Old 02-26-2003, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

forget it! hehe...if this holds back my turbo install...im just gunna goto napa get some oil specific line and use hose clamps to clamp it on the blue ends until I have more patience!
Old 02-26-2003, 07:06 PM
ImportReview

Dude its EASY.

GET SOME BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE.

tape SUPER tight the end of the line, then slide the fitting on...

done.

I seen jerry do it like 100x in less than a minute.

Jeff
Old 02-26-2003, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have a fREAKIN' idea how to put earl hosends on without hurting themselves? (ImportReview

umm, and then the blue fitting should tighten right up without popping the tube out of the red fitting?

mike
Old 02-27-2003, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Anyone have a fREAKIN' idea how to put earl hosends on without hurting themselves? (ImportReview

yup. after i tape off the braided line and get it all the way into the red i like to mark off where the red and line meet so i can see if its backing out while i install the blue end. i just draw a quick line with a sharpie. then i grip the red with my thumb and pointer finger while the rest of my finger and wrapped around the braided line to hold it all together. this is all in my right hand. then left hand the blue end comes in and making sure i still hold red and line against each other i twist blue end in. i dont use socket or wrenches until its almost completely screwed together. if dont right it will be tight, but should screw in pretty each. once you get it you'll know it. just be patient and dont let it move too much. good luck