Notices

Anybody make their entire engine harness custom made?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody make their entire engine harness custom made?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how common or how hard it was to custom make an entire engine harness. I was thinking about buying a brand new engine harness from Honda and having the plugs soldered on so it would plug right into my CRX/B18C swap. But I was curious about just getting the plugs and having all components individually wired up and wrapped up with wire loom.

what do you guys think?
TIA
Old 11-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anybody make their entire engine harness custom made? (BlueShadow)

ive never done it with the factory stuff...but i make wiring harnesses daily for aftermarket engine managment systems (TECIII)
Old 11-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if you're after the clean look than you should stick to OEM.

Is the engine out of the car?

Modified by 2point2 at 12:03 PM 11/5/2005
Old 11-05-2005, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (2point2)

I did something like that when I swapped an sr20det into my 240. I had to extent wires and change conectors on alot of the harness. As long as your careful about soldering the conections and dont get any wires switched you should be fine. As far as wrapping everything in wire loom and electrical tape, just take your time and it will look good and be safe when your done.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2point2)

Well the engine is still in the car, but I'll probably take it out to do this. I could use all the plugs on my existing harness and just run new wiring. What gauge/type of wiring would you guys recommend for this?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:51 PM
mike93eh

there is a company that makes honda harnesses but cant remember their website.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh)

Isd it one of the following:

Hasport
Rywire
Locash
Frog Engine controls
JKOKB (or something like that)

I'm not really looking for somebody that can make a swap harness out of a stock engine harness or someone that can make me a OBD conversion harness. I know a lot of places that can do that. I'm looking for someplace that can make me a completely custom engine harness with brand new wires (not an OEM engine harness). Reason fr me wanting to do that is so I know that each individual wire is new and not old or corroded.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:48 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isd it one of the following:

Hasport
Rywire
Locash
Frog Engine controls
JKOKB (or something like that)

I'm not really looking for somebody that can make a swap harness out of a stock engine harness or someone that can make me a OBD conversion harness. I know a lot of places that can do that. I'm looking for someplace that can make me a completely custom engine harness with brand new wires (not an OEM engine harness). Reason fr me wanting to do that is so I know that each individual wire is new and not old or corroded.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya thats what im talking about but cant find the link. they are 100% new custom made harnesses.. not chopped up oem harnesses
Old 12-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh)

I wanted to bump this back up for some more replies. While replacing the "A" plug on my ECU conversion harness I found the solder on the wire for my #3 injector had broken off. So the only thing holding my #3 injector to the plug/pin was the shrinkwrap. Turns out this was what was making my car sound like a Subaru as the #3 injector did not fire/ causing a misfire in the #3 cyl.

Right now I'm thinking about making a new OBD conversion harness. However the thing I dont like about most OBD 0 to OBD 1 conversion harnesses is the OBD 0 side has metal prongs on it which the wires get soldered onto. I want something better then this though. I was thinking about replacing the old OBD0 ECU plugs in the passenger footwell of my CRX and replacing them with something else. Do you guys have any suggestions on what kind of plugs I can use? The stock has OBD 0 plug has about 54 pins with a few left unused.

It might not be a good idea but I have thought about cutting off the stock OBD0 plugs and replacing it with a different type of plug. Either that or run 54 butt connectors and make the OBD conversion harness permanent. Or I could make it semi-permanent and run male/female spade connectors. I was looking at a few mil-spec connectors but I haven't found any that are easy to install.

anyways if you guys can give me some suggestions or tips, let me know
TIA
Old 12-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's what I did. CRX w/ turbo B18C. I used a harness from a 99-00 Si because it bolts through the bulkhead. Used the AEM EMS 1050 that plugs into the 99-00 Civic harness. I took the harness apart, took out what I didn't need, eliminated the drivers side strut tower plugs, reterminated the harness, plugged it into the engine, bolted it into my bulkhead, plugged in the ecm and go!.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

hey have you looked at this topic? Towards the end, if I remember correctly, some of the people used bulkhead connectors.

I am ordering some soon to wire up two fuseboxs and some control units within the glovebox, Im using the bulkheads to make a clean install.

edit - it would help if I included the topic

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1043518
Old 12-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18EG6)

dayum, 15 pages of rewiring info. That should keep me busy for a while. Thanks