Notices

Any help, new to boost and scared..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any help, new to boost and scared..

Hello everyone, I just traded my 97 4 door for my friends 92 civic hatch with a b20z turbo with si trans. This is my first turbo'd vehicle. I know nothing about boost. The car seems to be running only 2lbs and shuts off at 5,000 rpms. It has a bad exhaust leak where the manifold and turbo meet. I have a s200 hondata unit for it but it needs installed. I know I need to run new vacuum lines and re do the oil lines do the oil leak it has. I guess my question is why would it shut off at 5k rpm and only pushing 2 lbs of boost?

It has a hks bov, turbonetics waste gate, some off brand turbo, fpr and fuel rail with venom injectors (320s i think), it's running a pr4 ecu with a "chip", has a msd with launch control and a greddy turbo timer... and the waste gate has a boost and vacuum port on it. the vac line is ran to manifold, but the boost line was not hooked up, should that be hooked up to the port on the compressor?

Ive read a lot on here and other forums, but its like a whole new language to me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is a whole new world for me..

I'm tempted to put it back to stock but I really want this to work out. Thanks guys!

Last edited by teaks92hb; 03-21-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any help, new to boost and scared..

Well today at work I took the manifold and waste gate off. The gasket was blown out where the turbo meets the mani. I knew it wouldn't hold but I installed a paper gasket. I found a crack in the number 4 manifold runner. I loosened the nut on top of the waste gate and turned the inner allen head clock wise a half a turn. I let her warm up and it still idled very low. Took her out for a drive, it no longer stopped at 5000 rpm and its was making 5lbs of boost now. Without having it tuned though it seems slow. But on my way home the gasket blew out and was making no boost.. At least this is what I am hoping it is.. But I think i'm gonna throw the stock header, oil pan and short ram intake on and run her like that until I know more about boost.. And can get a new manifold and my hondata installed.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

either that b20 is rly f'd up or u got out on ur buddy pretty good...get it right and u'll be lovin it!!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

btw u have "charge piping" with a turbo'd car, not an actual intake
Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah..I'm debating on whether or not to put the stock intake on so i can just run the motor until i figure everything out. Its so frustrating Ive wanted a boosted car and now I have one..but its a terd
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get all the kinks worked out and get it tuned you will be happy. I would get some bigger injectors. U seem to have all the correct parts of a turbo system just spend a some cash on a good qaulity tune. Oh yeah get the crack welded up.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My buddy has 550 cc rc injectors he is giving me. So I will be getting them eventually. I'd rather get a new manifold. The one on there is cheap as hell. But I know I'll be happy after its all said and done.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I picked up a DC Sport 4 into 1 header today from a buddy, I'm gonna install it tomorrow at work along with the oil pan and cai. I figure while I have the pan off I will check for any discoloring of the bearing and for any play.

Any opinion on what a good gasket would be to run on the turbo? Any t3-t4 gasket?

Thanks again.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mikej94civex
btw u have "charge piping" with a turbo'd car, not an actual intake
umm actually you do have an intake, unless you just run a filter off the turbo....ya know....on the compressor inlet?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take some pictures so we can see what you are working with. If it was me honestly I would take every thing off and buy all new exhaust gaskets for the turbo, down pipe, manifold etc. basicly just go over every thing when you reinstall the kit, I do this every spring when I start to drive my car again. Also I would not be boosting on it at all with out any kind of tune.

You may want to do a compression test on it also
Old 03-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by noboostedEGo
umm actually you do have an intake, unless you just run a filter off the turbo....ya know....on the compressor inlet?
i kno this, i was referring to an intake pipe with a filter on it, but thanks for ur .2
Old 03-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beware of boosted honda's, they are extremly unreliable and **** always blows up
Old 03-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, I wanted to put it back to stock and then I realized I would be running open header the whole way home..and cops are pains in the dick around here. So I tightened up the turbo to manifold, not using a gasket for now. Fixed my leak from the fitting in the oil pan.

I'm going to get the 550 cc injectors from my buddy, new gaskets, new vac lines with a vacuum manifold. I also found oil leaking in the inter cooler piping Could this be the turbo itself going bad or the pcv system being stock? I need to find someone to solder in my hondata setup into my ecu. Would I be better off running a pr4 or p75 ecu with the b20 setup?

I'll post more later on.. thanks again though for your guys input, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it a ebay turbo i would run a resistor in the oil feed line. that might help your oil problem. If this car is not tune dont be getting in to boost you will blow your engine fast.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use a p28 or p72 ecu when u get it ready for tuning.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a p72, only bad thing is its for an auto. I read somewhere you can remove the chip for the auto, I think it was in Honda Tuning. I forget what needs done though. I think it has a bottom end knock..which blows. I'm gonna do a compression test and drop the pan again and remove the pickup, and check for play and discoloration.

The oil feed line is t'd in from the oil pressure sensor. Is that sufficient enough to supply oil to turbo? I see these oil sandwich plates for the back of the block that mount where the oil filter is. Are those better to use?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh boy.

Ok. To fix the manifold problem your best bet may be to take it off, have the flange milled if it's not straight, and just put it on turbo to manifold with NO GASKETS. That's right, no gasket there. Just better that way, I know it doesn't make sense but believe me those gaskets leak all the time.

Oil in the charge piping is a blown seal in the turbo. Fixable for relatively inexpensive, but you will need to send it off to be rebuilt. Search on here for companies that rebuild turbo's, there are a few to pick from. There are also rebuild kits that you can buy, but I don't suggest doing that yourself because you want to have the shaft rebalanced if you ever take it apart.

You need to get rid of the ECU stuff and get something in there that's for real. S200 is nice, but you need the boost option aswell. I'd contact Hondata directly for that and any other ECU needs. Then contact your local Hondata tuner and get the car tuned properly once you're squared away. DO NOT drive the car hard until you get this done. Infact, I wouldn't drive the car at all until you can get this all worked out if you can help it. If not, do not try to boost it. Although from the sound of it I may already be too late on telling you this.

Don't expect to drop in the RC550s and have the car running like new. Not gonna happen. Need the car to be tuned for them. Again, get them and your ECU done at the same time.

DC sports 4-1 header is totally useless to you. If you change out your turbo manifold you will more than likely also need to change your oil drain line, IC piping placement, downpipe placement, and depending on the style wastegate the turbo is using also the dumptube also. So I'd suggest not unless you have to.

The oil pressure sensor is plenty enough to supply oil.

Bottom end knock you need to figure out for yourself. But I'm going to go with it caused by the vehicle being untuned and being beat on. Nothing like some detonation to smash those rods into the crank journals. :/

Hope that helped a little.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SovXietday thanks a ton man, that did help. I have a hondata with boost option. My friend had it on his super charged LS teg. I'll be using that one, the other one I have doesn't have the boost option. So I will likely sell that one unless I do put the car back to stock. Which in all honesty I wouldn't mind doing for the time being. The b20z is more than enough with that si tranny to keep me happy.

I purchased the golden eagle vacuum manifold, hopefully that comes in soon. I figure that will take care of the hack job for all the vac lines ran everywhere. I know it needs tuned, and when he owned the car I told him all the time to get it tuned..but he didn't listen, that's why he blew a b16 turbo. Schmuck!!

But yeah I appreciate the help guys, thanks. I'll keep ya updated.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I removed the turbo setup and install new oil pan, header, intake. Fixed all vacuum lines. The car starts fine, but once it warms up and I come to a stop at idle it stalls. Most of the time it drops in rpm and surges b/w maybe 400-800 rpms and stalls. Should I install stock fuel injectors and run the p72 ecu I have which is not chipped?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Glove
beware of boosted honda's, they are extremly unreliable and **** always blows up
Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two. You should know this .