Notices

Another b18b/turbo question??? PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another b18b/turbo question??? PLEASE READ

Okay here it goes. I 've asked this question before, but usually only get like 2 responses. I'm really, really close to swapping out my 95 civic dx engine for a b18b swap. I will also run turbo on this swap. It will be a full turbo setup, intercooler and all.
Now this w/ labor will run me near $6,000 (swap+turbo setup+labor). Now keep in mind this will be a stock LS swap.
What I am wanting to know is what I can do help reinforce this engine. I want to be able to run 10psi RELIABLY. I won't have the money for hondata right now. I do have a field controller though (not much help). I know I want to get a clutch, and I might as well change the t-belt and water pump first off. I've heard that the ls can hold up to 10 psi stock, but i've also heard otherwise. Running stock just kinda gives me a bad feeling. bigger injectors are a must I know, but what else will help. Keep in mind I'm on a budget and this will be a daily driver.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:55 PM
New User

Default Re: Another b18b/turbo question??? PLEASE READ (SoInCivic)

welps, I'm no dohc expert but if you want a stock 'anything' to LAST at 10psi it's going to take major tuning. That's gonna run you a good wad of cash!

I wouldn't run 10 on a stock block. I'd keep at low boost until you can afford a standalone. Then tune and turn it up. then u would have a somewhat reliable stocker.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

change the oil pump also along with t-belt and water pump. if u want to do some internal stuff..... pistons and rods........around $800 for parts.

get the clutchnet clutch from groupbuycenter or get Exedy from clutchcityonline.com

i have the Exedy (but im not turboed, YET).........the stage 3 clutchnet also looks pretty good to me

[Modified by int3gra, 2:01 AM 4/12/2002]
Old 04-11-2002, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Another b18b/turbo question??? PLEASE READ (int3gra)

It's not that I want to run the turbo on the stock LS b/c I don't. It's just that I don't have 1,300 or whatever for a standalone right now. Will forged pistons and eagle rods help out???
Man Just think I could have a nice n/a setup for $6,000. But I must not think that way
Old 04-11-2002, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when your motor finally blows up on 10 psi just get another one and build it..
Old 04-11-2002, 10:56 PM
New User

Default Re: Another b18b/turbo question??? PLEASE READ (espanol)

you should be fine. just dont abuse your motor by boosting that much. 7-9lbs seems fine.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread blows. Just boost it til she blows and figure out what turbo is later. Thats what most people end up doing anyways.

Oh and if your on a budget---dont go turbo. Those 2 words --turbo and budget---- can in no way be associated with themselves in the same sentence.

Sorry, I think Ive spent enough time telling you that you should research more about what you need to do. The questions you are asking needs to be determined by your own intuitions.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Another b18b/turbo question??? PLEASE READ (93LSivic)

Guess what if the thread "blows" and you don't have anything useful to say DON"T FOCKIN CONTRIBUTE TO IT THEN.
It's that simple.
There are plenty of ppl with turbo on a budget that do just fine...I'm not broke I just don't have an endless supply of money
DO YOU???????? Okay then
BTW I've done research pal, i'm trying to find opinions, and Your opinion "blows"

[Modified by SoInCivic, 1:27 PM 4/12/2002]
Old 04-12-2002, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

D00d, chill 93LSivic is right. If you're on a "budget" maintaining a turbo can become a hassel when multiple things break at once. As long as people that are on a bidget know what they are doing then yeah it's prefectly fine. You're the one who's talking about dumping 6K into a motor and turbo right off the bat. If YOU were on a budget, you could prolly do it for 1/2 that. My WHOLE car may have just over 6K invested in it, and it'll run circles around most things. Oh and BTW if you're done research based on facts you shouldn't need opinions based on beliefs.

And JUST SO you don't flame me you friggin n00b, LS engine have seen upwards of 18lbs of boost stock block. But thats with hella tuning and some ***** to run it. I'm talking about St00pid for those of you who know him. Yes 10PSI will be just fine on your LS as long as you take some time and tune it. You can blow a engine on 5lbs of boost if it's tuned like ****. The best bet for you would be to swap in your LS and start from there.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:26 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn aren't we sensetive.

93LSCivic is right. In your case don't turbo unless you can do it properly since you have a daily driver. What happens when you blow something and you need your car?

And if you had been doing your reading you'd know that a Hondata 2b costs 550, so a standalone isn't going to cost you 1300. If money is an issue, then save up a little longer and do it right or it's just going to cost you more time and money down the road.

And just run 8 lbs. That's relatively safe for a daily driver and will be a ton faster than what your LS is now.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Another b18b/turbo question??? PLEASE READ (DarksideDC4)

I appreciate all the input, i'm not trying to be an A$$hole, I just hate it when ppl say "your wasting my time, because i had to read your thread" And thats all they say. If it's such a big deal then don't respond. I have looked into this believe me, it just helps to get opinions too. I'm just soo close to doing this, i am getting anxious. can you blame me???
If i came off like a dick then i'm sorry.
BTW how can you get this 1/2 the cost??? that would be $3,000 for the WHOLE LS swap + the WHOLE turbo setup + labor. Somehow I doubt this. I have a job and i'm taking out a loan for the $6,000, thats all i could get approved for. so I have source of income. But this is a daily driver so I CAN'T afford to go w/o my car for long.