Notices

B16A J1 TRANNY ON TURBO LS

Old 04-11-2002, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A J1 TRANNY ON TURBO LS

Is anybody running it? If yes or no, how would it work with a lightly modified LS for street use and the odd blast at the track. To be more specific, how would it work with a LS motor that produces 300whp?
Old 04-11-2002, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A J1 TRANNY ON TURBO LS (MIKES)

D00d I had that setup, let me tell you unlees you enjoy spinning your tires into 4th gear i'd highly suggest against it. The J1/S1 trannies are basically ITR trannies, with REALLY short gears. I had one on my car at 6 lbs of boost, the gears go by to fast to be unsable on an LS redline. It revs fast than the trubo can spool-up. At low boost with a SMALLER turbo you may be able to get away with it, but a small turbo isn't going to produce 300whp on an LS. To get that you're talking T3/T4, and about 10~12 lbs of boost, tuned right, with some fuel/spark upgrades on a standalone

It may be a viable option on an LS/VTEC that could rev to 8K or so. But not on a nearly stock LS.

Sorry dude, just leave those N/A, short geared, road race aspirations behind and get an LS tranny.

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 8:38 PM 4/11/2002]
Old 04-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A J1 TRANNY ON TURBO LS (Speed PHreak)

My mods are:

-My JG non vtec fully ported head (stock valve train)
-1001 JG cams
-JG match ported intake manifold (stock)
-JG throttlebody
-Reactive aluminum crank pulley
-AEM cam gears
-T3 T4OE turbo
-Drag manifold
-2 1/2" downpipe
-2 1/2 Exhaust to a Dyno Max muffler (straight pipe no cat)
-power steering belt removed
-Taylor 10mm wires
-NGK spark plugs (BCPR7ES-11) gapped @ 35
-all oil lines
-Richard Lee Wastegate (uses the same flange as Deltagate buts supports up to 800whp)
-Grand National Intercooler modified with 2 " inlet and outlet (Front mount, supports up to 400whp)
-2 1/4 Chrome intercooler piping
-HKS blowoff valve
450cc injectors
-B16A tranny with LS 5th gear (but still have 2 LS trannies if traction becomes a problem)
-stock flywheel lightened to 13 pounds
-Clutch Masters Stage3 clutch & pressure plate
-Buick Grand National fuel pump
-B&M adjustable fuel pressure reg
-Eagle rods
-Endyne forged pistons ( 9.5 to 1 comp)
-Sleeved block
-TypeR oil pump
-Zydne Gold ecu
-I run on 17" rims all the time (they are pretty damn heavy), its not a track car, I have 2 of those and don't need a 3rd.

Tell me what you think about this setup (parts and estimated whp). As I posted above, I still have my LS tranny but if its not going to work with this setup. Theres no point in shooting myself in the foot. I will just put in my LS tranny. Last question I have is, what fuel pressure at idle with the vaccum line off should a setup like mine run?
Old 04-11-2002, 12:35 PM

what size T3/T4 do you have and what will you be boosting at?
Old 04-11-2002, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Locks like a beast in the making. Who GN did you rap for all those parts? he he he.

Only problems I for see are:

1) That aluminum crank pully. I'm not a fan of lightwieght pullies, OEM is good and keeps the crank balanced.

2) Those 450cc injectors with you're setup they'll prolly be tapped out an 10~12 psi, or around 250whp. You may want to step up to some 550 or 750 injectors.

3) Lightened STOCK flywheel....umm just drop the dime and get an aluminum flywheel. Stocker have a nasty habit of blowing up if not milled correctly. At very least get a scatter sheild for the tranny, so you'll live if it does blow.

4) Stock Valve train, if you're using after market cams, go ahead and get a set of springs/retainers. I'd hate to float a valve and break it off....

I couldn't even begin to give a est. whp rating, you've got alot of stout parts with a kickass standalone(i've got a Zdyne Gold too). But to venture a guess... You're polly look at, at least, 300whp @10~12lbs of boost. On a fully built block the sky is the limit. More boost more power, I wouldn't be suprised If you could make 400+ whp @ 14lbs

With that b16 tranny and an ls 5th, you're gonna be bangin through the first 4 gears like no tomorrow then going into what will feel more like a 6th gear instead of 5th. Peep this: The J1/S1 5th gear is approximately equal to an LS 4th gear (speed/RPM ratio-wise)..... Thats just an idea to give you how short those gears are... Just so you know with the amount power you'll be be having to shift into 5th WAY early in the 1/4 mile. IMO use the LS tranny

fuel pressure should be around 43~45 or so at idle w/ vaccume and 50~53 w/o

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 9:59 PM 4/11/2002]
Old 04-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 9sec street Grand National and a 8sec twin turbo trailer queen GN. Thats were I got the parts to do this turbo kit. So basically I have to dump the the B16a tranny, flywheel, crank pulley and injectors and get better valve train. Wow and I thought I was done. oh well, Back to the drawing board. I don't like pissing around with stuff that doesn't work, so if it takes another month to come out then so be it. Where can I get relatively affordable valve train at a half decent price and a better intake manifold? I really appreciate the help guys, any other comments you have would be great, don't worry I have thick skin so let me have it if something doesn't look right. This link is to view my turbo setup and one of my other money pits. http://community.webshots.com/user/ricketts100
Old 04-12-2002, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy sheit dude GN's rule! I love to have a 9 sec GN, i'd give up this damn honda POS in a heart beat(but don't her that )

Nah it's not that far of a set back.

I just ordered a Crower valve train and cams on a groupbuy from nrg-racing. 650 for cams(350) and the spring/retainer(300) kit. Desprite what people say, Crower makes good stuff, everyone has the occasional "bad lot"

I run a Skunk2 manifold and am pleased with it. Not the absoulte best but it works well.

I hear you on the pissing around with stuff issue, i've been doing the same with my turbo car for about 2 months now. I think I've finally exercised it demons tho.

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 2:55 PM 4/12/2002]
Old 04-12-2002, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhm....Don't get a facking LS Tranny...the gears are way too short.

J1 is on one extreme...LS trans is on the other.

lets find a happy medium...? GSR Trans.

Suprdave