Angles and Oil return line...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Angles and Oil return line...

It is best for the feed and return lines to be perpendicular to the ground so it drains most efficiently.

I have clocked my new turbo and used a liquid balance to make sure the surface of the return line runs parallel to the ground (thus ensuring a perpendicular drain), but is it possible to run the housing at a small angle? I did a search and i saw the maximum is a 30 degree slant.

Does anyone have anymore feedback on this? The only reason I ask is because if i can turn it at a small angle it will make running the return line a bit easier for me.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Angles and Oil return line... (GudeH23a)

Clock it, just keep it at a low angle.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Angles and Oil return line... (lazerus)

I have clocked it. I am asking what is the maximum angle i can clock it at while draining efficiently.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2003, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Angles and Oil return line... (GudeH23a)

don't worry... just one rule

as long as the outlet fitting on your TURBO is higher than the oil pan fitting, you are fine.. it can go uphill as long as it doesn't go higher than the turbo out...

if you don't believe me, look under your sink, there's this U shape thing that goes up... and as you know, even if you open your tap to very little water flow, the sink will NEVER overflow, because of gravity, once the level of water is up to the same level as the U joint pipe, it will push the water through the pipe.

try it with a clear vinyl hose, hold it many angles as long as the outlet is higher than the other end it'll flow through.

don't believe what others say, i have mine and it's fine.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Angles and Oil return line... (reignofchaos)

Funny I have seen quite a few turbos have the oil seals destroyed from having a bad angle off the oil pan.

Your "theory" really doesnt work if you understand a pressurized system. The oil pressure builds linearly with the rpm since the oil pump is driven off of the crankshaft. The increase in oil pressure means there is a linear increase with the amount of pressure going through both the oil feed and oil return lines. If there is an angle that the pressurized system is working against, there is a back pressure approximately equal to the angle. With the increase in oil pressure as rpm's rise, you'll have more and more back pressure placed onto to the oil drain line. The backpressure builds itself up linearly with the rpm's, until the seals (which are rated for a certain oil pressure) cannot seal properly anymore. The optimal angle for the drain perpendicular, but a 10-15 degree angle would still allow for optimal flow. Any greater gravity starts to rear its ugly head and will cause a restriction. BTW, a sink has back pressure, it doesnt have seals which are rated for relatively low psi levels.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Angles and Oil return line... (50trim EK)

Oil coming out of most turbos is very foamy, as for a angle, i wouldn't be sure, something to ask a manufacturer about, since they're the only one who will actually test something like that...
Old 09-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Angles and Oil return line... (50trim EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 50trim EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Funny I have seen quite a few turbos have the oil seals destroyed from having a bad angle off the oil pan.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

El correcto, that is why I asked

I will post a picture tomorrow of everything just to make sure everything looks up to par.