Notices

To all of those with an AFC...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all of those with an AFC...

I have an AFC on my 94 LS, and it seems to be making my car run lean. My fuel setup consists of....

RC 310cc Injectors
12:1 FMU
Walbro HP Intank
Airtex HP Inline
B&M FPR
Apexi SAFC

I would have thought that with the high disk ratio in the FMU I might be running rich but I am not. For the high throttle setting I set +40% fuel thru out the power band, and for low throttle I have it set to +15% thru out the power band, and I seem to still be running lean!

On my friends Si he can stall out his car by -35% fuel on low throttle, where as on my car I can subtract 50% fuel on low throttle, and the car will still run! So do you guys think I wired it to the ECU wrong? Can you guys stall out your car by subtracting such a large amount of fuel at idle?

The only way that I can check my A/F so far is by the AFC. My A/F gauge(autometer) isnt working hooked up to the ecu, so on friday I have to hook it up to the sensor. But on the AFC at full throttle it says +16.0% for my A/F reading....what the hell does that mean?? That is the only thing so far on my car that I can tell if I am running lean or not.

Any help would be greatly appretiated. Thanks Alot.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all of those with an AFC... (Jamison)

I'd guess its wired wrong. I could stall mine out with stock injectors too.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all of those with an AFC... (niedejb)

Damn I cant stall mine out with stock, or the RC 310's...does any one have an exact wiring diagram for a 1994 Integra LS??? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did not know u could get A/F reading off the afc
Old 07-10-2002, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all of those with an AFC... (DLB1994)

i did not know u could get A/F reading off the afc
You can get O2 sensor voltage with an S-AFC which translates into estimated A/F
Old 07-10-2002, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Something is wrong, because:

A. You should only need an 8:1 or 6:1 FMU with those injectors.

B. When I ran an 8:1 FMU with 310cc, it had to be leaned out with the AFC, not richened.

c. I would look at your fuel pump. Make sure nothing is wrong there. BTW - depending on how much boost you are running, I am not sure if even the Airtex can supply enough pressure.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have mine at -35% at idle. I never heard of adding fuel...must be running helluva rich.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all of those with an AFC... (mplex2000)

Something is wrong, because:

A. You should only need an 8:1 or 6:1 FMU with those injectors.

B. When I ran an 8:1 FMU with 310cc, it had to be leaned out with the AFC, not richened.

c. I would look at your fuel pump. Make sure nothing is wrong there. BTW - depending on how much boost you are running, I am not sure if even the Airtex can supply enough pressure.
I was told that a 12:1 will be fine for me. So that is what I decided to use. I am only runnin .45 bar 6.5-6.6 psi, the Airtex should be supplying more than enough fuel for that amount of boost. Can someone with an OBD1 LS, please post the wiring diagram from there SAFC?? I think I may have mine wired up wrong.

The only strange thing about this is that when I put the AFC at -10% fuel at low throttle then, you can hear the whole car start to really bog down. Then when I go lower around -35% fuel it really starts to run "choppy", and sputters really bad, but then the ECU ompensates for the fuel and starts dumping it back in. I dont get it. The AFC if hooked up correctly should be able to stall my car in a sec. But it wont. I had it all the way down to -50% at low throttle, and the cars idle was still at 750 on the dot!

If someone can please give me some insight on what the problem could be, than please help. I dont wanna do any unnecessary damage. Thanks for all of the help ahead of time.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe the AFC unit is bad, if your friend has another AFC try switching the head units and see if that helps. Just a thought
Old 07-11-2002, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all of those with an AFC... (dwilson)

Maybe the AFC unit is bad, if your friend has another AFC try switching the head units and see if that helps. Just a thought
Thats a good idea but I have an SAFC, and he has a VAFC. Another strange point is this...I know someone else with an SAFC on there 96 SE, and he cant stall out his car either. The only differance is that his car is auto, and mine is stick. I dont know if that would have anything to do with it or not but it is kinda strange?!?!? Is it only with the SAFC's? Can someone else try this on there car if you have an SAFC. I gotta figure this out, it is killing me! Thanks.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have u tried to just initialize the AFC to put it back at stock settings and then start all over. If u do that it will take the AFC out of the equation and let u know if something else is the problem. With just the 12:1 FMU and 310 u should be running hella rich.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all of those with an AFC... (dwilson)

Have u tried to just initialize the AFC to put it back at stock settings and then start all over. If u do that it will take the AFC out of the equation and let u know if something else is the problem. With just the 12:1 FMU and 310 u should be running hella rich.
If I initialize the AFC it will put it back to stock settings? I dont understand can you elaborate a little more?? Thanks alot for the help.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I IM u

[Modified by dwilson, 2:38 PM 7/11/2002]