Notices

AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B

Which do you think is a better standalone engine management for my turbocharge b18c1 crxsi??? Both are plug and play but I think you have do some soldering to my stock p72 ecm with Hondata. AEM retails for around $1200 and Hondata $1095. Which of the two has better features??? I leaning more torwards AEM since its true plug and play and no soldering. Can anyone please give some feedback on their experiences with one or both of these units. Looking for at least 400-450whp daily driven on my fully built turbo gsr motor. Thanks...
Old 09-06-2002, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B (b18c1crx)

AEM all the way, you can find people selling them on the board for as low as $1000. It has more features (boost control and turbo timer as well) and alot more shops (at least around me) will do tunning on it, hondata tunners are rare around here.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B (RicerRacing69)

all standalone will do the same function on the street cars, get a standalone system that your tuner are familiar with and you trust as well...

it's all about the tuning....and tuner makes up 90% of the whole process....

Old 09-06-2002, 07:33 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B (RicerRacing69)

I have both and at this time Im gonna say Hondata. Right now Im running the AEM and they still need to come out with new software to make it work for a street car. The deaccerlaration tables suck and my gas mileage is ***. A month ago they said that the new software was coming out in 2 weeks. 2 weeks have come and gone.

Hondata is simple and easy. AEM is more complex, but not impossible. AEM in the long run will be awesome but at this time I wouldnt recomend it to anyone that isnt familiar with stand alones. AEM will be bas ***!!

art
Old 09-06-2002, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B (Arturbo)

I AGREE totally ,
wathcing scott with the hondata is like me being a fat guy watch people eat krispy kreme donuts but I cant have any.
but im not gonna complain too much...the aem is a sweet system
Old 09-06-2002, 11:37 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B (SiRkid)

I AGREE totally ,
wathcing scott with the hondata is like me being a fat guy watch people eat krispy kreme donuts but I cant have any.
but im not gonna complain too much...the aem is a sweet system
I see scott his hondata I sold him running good.

art
Old 09-07-2002, 06:23 AM

Default Re: AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B (Flamenco-NA)

I agree with Flamenco-NA. Get what your tuner feels comfortable tuning. As in my case I would have been better off going with Speed Pro or Accell since that's what my tuner mainly tunes. At first we had many problems with AEM and he asked me to switch to Speed Pro although I did not want to. Last week I ask him how much he can get me a Speed Pro and now he feels strongly about AEM and in his words "this thing does everything Speed Pro does and more" (Lawrence Connly), so he advised me to stick with it!
Good Luck!
Old 09-07-2002, 06:26 AM

Default Re: AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B (Arturbo)

I agree with Flamenco-NA. Get what your tuner feels comfortable tuning. As in my case I would have been better off going with Speed Pro or Accell since that's what my tuner mainly tunes. At first we had many problems with AEM and he asked me to switch to Speed Pro although I did not want to. Last week I ask him how much he can get me a Speed Pro and now he feels strongly about AEM and in his words "this thing does everything Speed Pro does and more" (Lawrence Connly). So he advised me to stick with it. I am pretty sure others were not easy to tune when they first came out. So with time AEM will be a great ecu.
Good Luck!
Old 09-07-2002, 07:41 AM

Default Re: AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B (b18c1crx)

After playing with both systems, I will have to say Hondata is better.

AEM has a lot of features but you may not use all of them. There isn't too many people that can tune AEM. I have had a couple of customers who come to me with AEM and all they do is complain and complain. One major issue is hard start up, one customer told me he had to sit there and crank the car for 2 mins before it started and Gas mileage was another.

Needless to say, they are happy after I switched the AEM out for Hondata.

oh and by the way, AEM vs Hondata has been covered many times. The search function is pretty good and usefull.

edit- By the way you really dont need the 4b unless you plan on tunning it yourself frequently.

[Modified by ekb18c, 4:55 PM 9/7/2002]
Old 09-07-2002, 08:23 AM

Default Re: AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B (ekb18c)

If your wanting to push that much hp AEM is the way to go...AEM can be just as easy as hondata depends on the tuner which has been said over and over. I chose AEM for obd2 since it is about the same price as hondata and does more...Plus there is a support forum with AEM engineers answering questions, and other tuners giving input. AEM is the way to go, you can get them alot cheaper now too..
Old 09-07-2002, 12:52 PM

Default Re: AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B (tygsr)

Yes, you can pick up aem for a really cheap price right now. I saw a few people selling their AEM EMS on this board, and it's not even used yet.

hmmmmmmm I wonder why
Old 09-07-2002, 01:02 PM
New User

Default Re: AEM Plug n play EMS or Hondata Stage 4B (ekb18c)

I've made 550whp with a Hondata equipped drag car (10.6@140). Yet it's civil enough to drive on the street, and without a lot of drama if you get it tuned. Quite simple to tune once you're familiar with it. AEM will be good, if they step it up and knock out the bugs which are big time annoyances.